Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327328 times)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #850 on: May 07, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
I left a job about a year ago, and that 401k is now a traditional IRA, in which I don't make any contributions to currently, it's just all of the old money from when i was at my old job.  Now at my new job, I have a different 401k.  I should get that IRA rolled into my 401k shouldn't I?  It will grow a lot faster will all of the money in one place, no?

You can't do that. Just leave it in the IRA then when you leave your current job, rollover that 401k into said TradIRA.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 07, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
EllRI is really smart with finances. So is SD. I believe Scottwildcat is too. Just a bunch of smart ppl running around this place. Nice to have for dumbos like myself.  :cheers:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 07, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
I left a job about a year ago, and that 401k is now a traditional IRA, in which I don't make any contributions to currently, it's just all of the old money from when i was at my old job.  Now at my new job, I have a different 401k.  I should get that IRA rolled into my 401k shouldn't I?  It will grow a lot faster will all of the money in one place, no?

You can't do that. Just leave it in the IRA then when you leave your current job, rollover that 401k into said TradIRA.

Sure he can, as long as his plan allows for Rollovers in from other sources of money.  If he's not making contributions to the IRA there's no sense it leaving it as it is.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »

Thanks real life Ell Roberson III.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

I mean, technically it's possible to rollover 401k to 401k but it's stupid and you shouldn't do it. A lot of plans won't accept it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »

Sure he can, as long as his plan allows for Rollovers in from other sources of money.  If he's not making contributions to the IRA there's no sense it leaving it as it is.

If he's happy with his investment options there's no sense moving it. It would actually be pretty stupid to roll in to a plan with inferior options.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
Fidelity completely f'd up my HSA transfer back at the beginning of the year. Took them forever to get it right.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
My wife just rolled over one 401k to another.  Takes a few days but was pretty easy.  They had to physically mail her a check which she then mailed to the other folks. 

It's a huge pain in the ass compared to how easy it should be.

Why can't it be just routing and account numbers?  Why not?  Tell me!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
Fidelity completely f'd up my HSA transfer back at the beginning of the year. Took them forever to get it right.

Yep, I've requested transfers, and the check got lost or something. It's actually a humongous pain in the ass.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 07, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »

Yep, I've requested transfers, and the check got lost or something. It's actually a humongous pain in the ass.
Crap. Not looking fwd to this now.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »

If he's happy with his investment options there's no sense moving it. It would actually be pretty stupid to roll in to a plan with inferior options.

Where did he say he was happy with his IRA's investment options or that his 401k plan had inferior options?  The IRA will never do anything for him if he's not contributing to it.  The real issue here is how come meow meow is not contributing to his IRA   

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »

Where did he say he was happy with his IRA's investment options or that his 401k plan had inferior options?  The IRA will never do anything for him if he's not contributing to it.  The real issue here is how come meow meow is not contributing to his IRA

Becausing I'm contributing a lot to my 401k.  Should I just be contributing enough to get the company match, and invest the rest in the IRA?  Lets assuming the investment options are pretty much the same.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »

You must have missed the first word of mc's post.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 07, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »

Becausing I'm contributing a lot to my 401k.  Should I just be contributing enough to get the company match, and invest the rest in the IRA?  Lets assuming the investment options are pretty much the same.

Do you like your investment options in your 401k? Are you in a high tax bracket? If you're in a lower tax bracket already, contribute to a Roth beyond your company match.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
only the 25% bracket, maybe i should put more into the roth (already putting about 6% into roth)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
only the 25% bracket, maybe i should put more into the roth (already putting about 6% into roth)

If you're putting 6% into your Roth already along with (I'm guessing) 6% into your 401k, you're probably fine either way. I'd probably go for the account with the lowest fee options, (likely the Roth).

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »

If you're putting 6% into your Roth already along with (I'm guessing) 6% into your 401k, you're probably fine either way. I'd probably go for the account with the lowest fee options, (likely the Roth).

actually more into the 401k, so maybe i'll look into switching more of it to roth.  so many options!  thanks for the info/help

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:45 PM »
your ira is free (if it isn't, change the custodian to one that is free).  you pay fees on your 401k.  also you can invest in almost anything in the world in the ira, in the 401k you are limited to whatever whoever administers your 401k allows.

as should be obvious, putting your ira into the 401k would be dumb.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 08, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »
sys is right, but kind of mean. Take home message: mean people know about financial stuff?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 09, 2014, 01:55:33 AM »
sys is right, but kind of mean. Take home message: mean people know about financial stuff?

i thought i was being nice.   :blank:

i put down some bermuda-killing chemicals last weekend.  really looking forward to seeing their dead little bodies when i get home (i may have sprayed all wrong though).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 01, 2014, 02:48:36 AM »
I don't believe in timing the markets, but as a new grad starting his investment life, getting in at the record highs is not very profitable correct?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 01, 2014, 06:58:17 AM »

I don't believe in timing the markets, but as a new grad starting his investment life, getting in at the record highs is not very profitable correct?

No

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 01, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
It will be way higher long term, get your ass in there.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 01, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
If you are investing for the long term. Do it early and do it often. Never a reason not to invest long term. There are people still setting on money from 2008-2009 that they pulled out. Now they think the market it too high, so they are waiting for it to go back down.  :facepalm:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »

It's not like you're throwing 100k into the mkt all at once