Author Topic: Currie doubles down on "good enough" with the BB program, gives Weber extension  (Read 11823 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
eff

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
are you rough ridin' me

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OH BOY

K-State Announces Extension for oscar Weber

The Big 12 Coach of the Year signed a contract extension through 2018

Reigning Big 12 Coach of the Year oscar Weber has signed a contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

Reigning Big 12 Coach of the Year oscar Weber has signed a contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

April 10, 2013

Contract Extension in PDF Format
*Note: Contract includes signatures of all parties except President Schulz, who has approved the contract but is traveling and will formally sign upon his return.

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Director of Athletics John Currie announced today that Big 12 Coach of the Year oscar Weber has a signed a contract extension through the 2018 academic year to continue his leadership of the Kansas State men’s basketball program.

The agreement adds one year to his current contract, securing Weber’s services through June 30, 2018.  Weber’s annual salary will be $1.75 million for the 2013-14 season, which represents a $250,000 raise, and will increase by $100,000 for each remaining year per his original 5-year contract ($1.85 million in 2014-15, $1.95 million in 2015-16, $2.05 million in 2016-17 and $2.15 million in 2017-18).  The extension was unanimously approved by the
K-State Athletics, Inc., Board of Directors.

“Our men’s basketball program, from top to bottom, has made continued improvement under Coach Weber and his staff since their arrival last April,” said Currie. “From our first conference championship in 36 seasons to a record-number of players on the Big 12 Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll, I am extremely excited about the forward trajectory of our program under his leadership.”

Hired on March 31, 2012 as the 24th head coach in school history, Weber guided Kansas State to one of its best seasons by a first-year head coach, as the Wildcats posted a 27-8 overall record and captured a share of their first conference title since 1977 with a 14-4 Big 12 mark.  He is just the third first-year head coach to win the Big 12 regular season since the league’s inception in 1997, while his 27 wins are the third-most by a rookie head coach in conference history.  The team advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the 27th time, including a school-record tying fourth consecutive season, and received its third-highest seed – No. 4 in the West Regional – since the NCAA began seeding teams in 1979.

“My family and I couldn’t be more thrilled with our decision to come to K-State,” said Weber.  “It has been a magical year in our athletic department that started with the success of our football team under Coach Snyder’s leadership and our team was able to seize that momentum and win our first conference title in nearly four decades. Whenever you have success, it is a direct reflection of your team and staff and I have said all along we had great chemistry between our players and staff all year.  I’m so proud to be associated with this group of players and coaches and I can’t thank them enough for their hard work and sacrifice this season.”

Weber’s 27 wins in 2012-13 were the second-most in a single season in K-State history and just the fifth 25-win season overall, while the 14 conference wins tie the 1958-59 team for the most in school history.  The league title is the 20th overall and the 18th won in the regular season and the first since winning the Big Eight Championship in 1977.  The Wildcats were ranked for 13 consecutive weeks to end the season, including two weeks in the Top 10.

For his efforts, Weber was selected as the Big 12 Coach of the Year by the league coaches and The Associated Press, while he was named the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) District Coach of the Year.  It was his third league Coach of the Year accolade in his career after winning the honor in the Missouri Valley in 2002-03 and the Big Ten in 2004-05.  He was also a finalist for the 2013 Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year and Skip Prosser Man of the Year awards.

“We’re all pleased with the success of our season, but not satisfied by how it ended,” said Weber.  “Changing that outcome starts this summer with our player development and our recruiting.  Having this type of commitment from John and President Schulz ensures longevity, which is a frequent question from potential recruits and their parents.  I’m so appreciative of the confidence that they have in me and our staff to continuing to build upon what was accomplished in 2012-13.”

K-State led the Big 12 in five statistical categories, including scoring defense (60.4 ppg.), turnover margin (+2.6), assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4) and offensive rebounds (13.4), while the squad ranked among the Top 5 in assists (15.9, 2nd), 3-point field goals (6.8, 3rd), 3-point field goal percentage (36.2, 3rd), rebounding margin (+3.3, 3rd) and steals (7.1, 4th).  The team tied or set three single-season records in 2012-13, including wins in Bramlage Coliseum (16), assists (557) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4), and drew the second-most fans to its home schedule with 225,503 filtering through the turnstiles at Bramlage Coliseum and the Sprint Center.

The Wildcats also excelled off the basketball court under Weber’s leadership, as a program-best eight players, including starters Rodney McGruder, Angel Rodriguez, Shane Southwell and Will Spradling, were named to the Fall Big 12 Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll.  In addition, McGruder (first team) and Spradling (second team) were selected to the Academic All-Big 12 Team.  McGruder was the lone Big 12 men’s basketball student-athlete to earn both All-Big 12 First Team honors in both academics and athletics.  All three seniors – Jordan Henriquez, Martavious Irving and McGruder – along with junior Omari Lawrence are set to graduate from K-State this May.

“We’re all excited about the direction of the program under Coach Weber,” said rising junior and 2013 All-Big 12 Second Team selection Angel Rodriguez.  “We know that we are losing some really good players to graduation, but we know that with all the players coming back - plus the new recruits coming in - we are capable of doing great things next season and beyond.  We are excited about the challenge of building on our Big 12 Championship.”

Weber, 56, has compiled a 340-163 (.676) in his 15 seasons as a head coach, which includes stints at Southern Illinois (1998-2003) and Illinois (2003-11).  His .676 winning percentage ranks 28th among active Division I head coaches.  He has won 20 or more games in all but four of his 15 campaigns, averaging 22.7 victories a season in his head coaching career.

Weber’s teams have now participated in postseason play in 11 of his 15 seasons, including nine NCAA Tournament appearances.  His teams have combined to win six conference regular season and tournament championships, including the 2002 and 2003 Missouri Valley Conference, 2004 and 2005 Big Ten Conference and 2013 Big 12 regular season titles.

The Wildcats return nine lettermen, including All-Big 12 selections Angel Rodriguez and Shane Southwell, in 2013-14.  The team is receiving mention in several early preseason polls.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :flush: x 10

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:dance:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
CONGRATULATIONS

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
meh, the only way oscar is out of here sooner rather than later is if we get a new AD that wants his own guy.  I don't recall what the buyout terms of BW's contract are but I would hope all the new tv money should make that a non factor.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Frank got an extension RIGHT BEFORE CURRIE FRANKED HIM!!!

the cycle continues, sorry oscar it was fun best of luck to you!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
what does "good enough" mean?  we just won the big 12.  you're trying to hard.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
what does "good enough" mean?  we just won the big 12.  you're trying to hard.

ok kim carnes

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nevermind. Looks like this was a function of the original contract. The team met incentives to trigger this in the original.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Frank got an extension RIGHT BEFORE CURRIE FRANKED HIM!!!

the cycle continues, sorry oscar it was fun best of luck to you!
At least Currie is a master at the force out.
Will not have to fire Brucey if he is sucky.

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
Part of his previous contract was a guaranteed extension to be negotiated by May 2014 if he won Big 12 Coach of the Year.

All things considered, extending only one season is about as much as we could have hoped for...

And at least Angel is staying?

We're doomed.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Part of his previous contract was a guaranteed extension to be negotiated by May 2014 if he won Big 12 Coach of the Year.

So oscar has a good agent.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Hopefully his buyout at least got cut in half or something. 

Offline owl borland

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • I thought hurricane season was over
    • View Profile
when are you knuckleheads going to finally accept that oscar is our coach, and instead of hoping for him to fail, be optimistic. Who knows, maybe in 15 years we'll be watching LHCBW coaching on oscar Weber Court in Bramlage Coliseum. I'M ALL IN!
GIFSoup

Don't forget your power towel. Bring it to every game

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
eff he is getting paid well all things considered.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
when are you knuckleheads going to finally accept that oscar is our coach, and instead of hoping for him to fail, be optimistic. Who knows, maybe in 15 years we'll be watching LHCBW coaching on oscar Weber Court in Bramlage Coliseum. I'M ALL IN!

terrible sock.  just terrible.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So oscar has a good agent.

Yeah never mind nothing to see here

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

I think everyone has accepted that he is currently the KState coach. Nobody (well, mostly nobody) hopes he fails, lots of people just think he will.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
No one is rooting for him to fail, but the smart money is on him doing so.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile

terrible sock.  just terrible.

I like the name though.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.