Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 33409 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
I would say beautiful forests are pretty dangerous. Have you read the accounts of the explorers when they got to the Amazon? Pretty scary stuff. Basically a historical account of the movie Anaconda. And volcanoes are very beautiful.

that's a rough ridin' scary ass jungle. not an apple orchard forest with blueberry bush middles and strawberry ground parts.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
I definitely understand that for music, the melody can be soothing and I assume that it could be shown in other species. I meant to limit my post to visual stimuli.

However, I don't think that just because it can be explained physiologically that it means it was a natural process to becoming human. I'm asking why does something change physiologically in us when we see a mountain range or sunset.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
I definitely understand that for music, the melody can be soothing and I assume that it could be shown in other species. I meant to limit my post to visual stimuli.

However, I don't think that just because it can be explained physiologically that it means it was a natural process to becoming human. I'm asking why does something change physiologically in us when we see a mountain range or sunset.

I guess that's where I differ.  I think that if it can be explained physiologically, it was an evolutionary process.

I don't believe in God as a designer.  If he/she were a designer, the human body would have been developed in a much more efficient manner.  Why do we need an appendix?  Why is the eye such an inefficient means of viewing the world around us?  Why do our systems fail?  Why do cells mutate and cause cancer?

I guess that punts God back to a cosmic designer, which I'm okay with, because as I said earlier in this thread, we can't explain what happened before the Big Bang.  But, IMO, if that's where we're at, concepts of issues specific to humanity are fraught with issues because when you start digging into the details, God doesn't fit most situations.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »
I don't believe in God as a designer.  If he/she were a designer, the human body would have been developed in a much more efficient manner.  Why do we need an appendix?  Why is the eye such an inefficient means of viewing the world around us?  Why do our systems fail?  Why do cells mutate and cause cancer?

I do have answers for these, but they're personal beliefs that I won't post for fear (legitimate or not) of being mocked. I am getting the feeling that we just need to have a late night turntable session soon so we can discuss this in a more personal setting.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »

I do have answers for these, but they're personal beliefs that I won't post for fear (legitimate or not) of being mocked. I am getting the feeling that we just need to have a late night turntable session soon so we can discuss this in a more personal setting.

I won't mock you, bro.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »

I won't mock you, bro.

I know you won't. It's others that I'm worried about.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
Panjandrum and I would enjoy drinking beers together and randomly high-fiving (I think).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
Panjandrum and I would enjoy drinking beers together and randomly high-fiving (I think).

I get that feeling.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
I will say a couple things without delving into anything too personal.

Regarding Panj's comment about the appendix, more recently there have been studies to show a use. A very brief description:
It has recently been found that the appendix has a function in embryology as it develops endocrine cells in the 11th week which secrete amines and hormones used in development
So you are willing to wait on science to figure out how the universe was created (admittedly a much more difficult thing to figure out) but not willing to see if science can explain what we currently view as "useless" organs? Regardless, if we were created by God, I think we have most likely evolved since then.

seven asked earlier if there is a God, why wouldn't He just create humans to love Him no matter what. To give you my explanation, one cannot love without the option to not love. If we were forced to love, that'd be a lot more like rape. It would be the equivalent of making my computer say, "I love you, Jakesie" every once in a while. I doubt anyone would feel rewarded by that.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
How is the eye an inefficient way of viewing the world around us?

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

I won't mock you, bro.

Jakesie,  you had me at "late night turntable session"

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

I won't mock you, bro.

Why would you worry?  People can mock if they want to; won't change anything unless you let it.  Embrace your vulnerability.

Ftr, I personally would never initiate any mocking. Nor would I partake.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
I'm always looking for a good mocking.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »

I won't mock you, bro.

Why would you worry?  People can mock if they want to; won't change anything unless you let it.  Embrace your vulnerability.

Ftr, I personally would never initiate any mocking. Nor would I partake.

It's not my confidence or anything, I just think that once someone makes a joke after someone is vulnerable, everyone dismisses the first person's comment. I'd rather it be in an environment where I know everyone will be serious for the duration of the conversation.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
What in the world are you talking about? I'm asking why people in all societies, even atheists, consider some certain things to be immoral. Things like lying and stealing are all considered bad. I haven't heard a good reason why this would be the case if there wasn't a God. My question was does michigancat (or you, if you can grasp the concept of this post) have an explanation for why people want to be good/fair to others even when it doesn't benefit themselves.

there's been a ton of research on this stuff.  look some of it up (it's pretty similar to what panj has expressed).

re. beauty, etc.  our preferences in sensory perceptions usually align with evolutionary advantageous behaviors.  if you like steak, it's because that's a good way to get you to ingest animal protein.  if you like the view from a hill overlooking a green grassy plain, it's because that's a good place for you to find food and avoid getting eaten.  if you feel a weird urge to climb up a majestic mountain just because it's there, that because you'd probably never go rape the women in the village on the other side if you didn't.  etc.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
If there is a God, we aren't Him.

Therefore, we can't know everything about Him or us.

Other answers

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
IMO, the interesting thing about natural selection isn't that it affords us the opportunity for ad hoc explanations of how every biological phenomenon in the world is the result of it.  The interesting thing about it is merely that it exists and that we can actually observe it in a very limited number of cases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
the interesting thing about natural selection isn't that it affords us the opportunity for ad hoc explanations of how every biological phenomenon in the world is the result of it.

that's very funny.

we can actually observe it in a very limited number of cases.

not so limited.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #343 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
IMO, the interesting thing about natural selection isn't that it affords us the opportunity for ad hoc explanations of how every biological phenomenon in the world is the result of it.  The interesting thing about it is merely that it exists and that we can actually observe it in a very limited number of cases.

Well put.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
not so limited.

Judging by what I understand are supposed to be modern scieftific standards (including things like observed repeatability), I think so. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
Judging by what I understand are supposed to be modern scieftific standards (including things like observed repeatability), I think so.

you're wrong.  you can't open a journal without seeing a paper in which natural selection is observed.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »

you're wrong.  you can't open a journal without seeing a paper in which natural selection is observed.

Oh, I know it's said all the time, but I don't think those observations meet suitable scientific standards.  Like, you can demonstrate natural selction in a lab.  That works.  But just looking at something and saying "Eureka! Natural selection!" ultimately isn't much different than looking at something and saying, "Eureka! Intelligent design!"  I don't care if every scientist disagrees about that.  I think they're wrong. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2013, 11:39:48 PM »
And, really, is it so hard to believe that many scientists aren't as rigorous as they should be?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »

Oh, I know it's said all the time, but I don't think those observations meet suitable scientific standards.  Like, you can demonstrate natural selction in a lab.  That works.  But just looking at something and saying "Eureka! Natural selection!" ultimately isn't much different than looking at something and saying, "Eureka! Intelligent design!"  I don't care if every scientist disagrees about that.  I think they're wrong.

drug resistant bacteria is consistently evolving outside the lab.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »
people record empirical observations of natural selection in nature and report those observations.  not every article here contains observations of natural selection, but many do.  this is one journal of dozens.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/evo.2013.67.issue-4/issuetoc