Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 33370 times)

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Probably not, but I'm not for sure. Do you guys know?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
Probably not, but I'm not for sure. Do you guys know?

Not sure. I bet kat kid knows.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Ask the five who tell everyone on this board what to think.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Yes. 

I grew up going to church my whole life, but the Gospel didn't make sense to me until 4 years ago, as a sophomore at K-State.

I will do my best to answer any questions/concerns you have. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
Yes. 

I grew up going to church my whole life, but the Gospel didn't make sense to me until 4 years ago, as a sophomore at K-State.

Sorry, last I checked you aren't one of the blessed five.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
I will blindly follow steve dave and pissclams in all things K-state, but not on this.  (no idea of their beliefs)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
I think if there is a God, it is ridiculous to assume we can fully comprehend something so far above us

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Yes. 

How old is the earth? Why did the bible not get that part right?

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Yes. 

How old is the earth? Why did the bible not get that part right?

First off I don't believe that the Bible got anything wrong, and I do agree with Chicat that you can't fully understand God.   
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!  Romans 11:33 
I don't think a human finite mind can fully comprehend an eternal being.  Thankfully God gave us the Bible to help us get to know Him.

Within the Christian community, there are also different views of creation:

1.  Old universe, old earth, old life: This view is commonly held by theistic evolutionists, or those who claim Christian beliefs regarding Jesus Christ but do not accept Genesis as a straightforward account of the beginning of all things.  This model accepts ancient ages based on man's knowledge of science, and the laws science is aware of today.  This is the compromise position, basically, between creation and evolution.  When there is seeming opposition between the Bible and current science, science wins and the Bible is considered either incorrectly translated or incorrectly understood.  Although God is acknowledged in this model, He is generally relegated to the position of "clockmaker" in an almost deistic fashion; He set up the universe and life and established the laws by which it has run ever since.

2.  Old universe, old earth, recent life: This position is held by those who subscribe to what is often referred to as the "Gap Theory" of Genesis, wherein it is believed that the universe and the earth are quite old, but that, at one point or another and for one reason or another, the early earth was either destroyed and re-created or simply held in abeyance until the creation of recent life.  This is the official, or semi-official, doctrine of some churches.

3.  Old universe, young earth, recent life: This position, not as commonly held, considers the universe to be old; but earth itself, and subsequently life, to be young.  This is also the position of some parts of Christianity.

4.  Young universe, young earth, recent life: This is the classic Christian model which is so widely disputed by those of the evolution camp.  In this model the entire universe, including of course the earth and all life, is less than 10,000 years old.  This is in keeping with the most straightforward reading of the Genesis account in combination with the lists of generations in Genesis 5, 10, and 11.

Disclaimer:  All information I give you I will provide links for you so you can investigate yourself.  For this question go here.  http://carm.org/creationism

As for myself, I don't know where I fall on this particular issue.  I'm still a relatively young Christian and I believe it is much more beneficial to focus on Jesus and learn about who he is and what he did.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Does God exist?

Yes.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
Does God exist?

Yes.

Pretty ironic post wackycat.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
I don't know if Wackycat is a man of faith, but I hope so.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

posted from church using tapatalk 2

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »

posted from church using tapatalk 2

:combofan:

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Why so many denominations? If they are all going to heaven, what's the point?

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
Why so many denominations? If they are all going to heaven, what's the point?

The reason there are different denominations within Christianity is because the Bible allows for us to have differences of opinions.  Within Christianity there are very few essential doctrines that define what it means to be a Christian.  These essential doctrines are,

1.Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
2.Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
3.Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2).
4.The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
5. There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8).
6. God exists as a Trinity of persons:  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity).
7. Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation).

As long as a church believes in these essential doctrines, then it is Christian.  However, there are many things in the scriptures that have been interpreted in different ways.  For example, on what day of the week should we worship, Saturday or Sunday?  Should we baptize by sprinkling or baptize by immersion?  Do we take communion every Sunday, once a month, or once a year?  The answers to these questions do not affect whether or not someone is a Christian.  It is in these issues, and others like them, that denominations are formed.  It does not mean that one denomination contradicts another.  It means that though they agree in the essentials, they differ in some nonessentials.

Link http://carm.org/what-about-different-denominations

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
NO

/thread

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
As a Christian, what are your views on Adam and Eve being cast out of the Garden of Eden?

It' one thing that's puzzled me about Christianity - who would God get angry? If God is all-knowing, then surely God knew that Eve would eat the forbidden fruit, even before he/she created Adam. Thus, Eve eating the forbidden fruit is something that was expected to happen. So, why get angry about a choice one of your creations made, when you designed them to think that way?

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »
This is a pretty meaty question.  But I think this link will help a lot.  http://carm.org/god-satan-garden-sin

I would encourage you to skim through this site for yourself.  It's a great resource, and has answered many of my questions.

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Seems like they go with the "God gave man free will," line of thinking. Fine, though this means God cannot be all-knowing, which may seem blasphemous to some Christians (don't know how many)

Also Fun,

First off I don't believe that the Bible got anything wrong, and I do agree with Chicat that you can't fully understand God.

If you believe this, then why worship God? There's no way of knowing if God is just, or kind, or loving, until you die. So why spend your time worshiping a being whose motivations are unknown? Do you just take it all as a matter of faith?

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Seems like they go with the "God gave man free will," line of thinking. Fine, though this means God cannot be all-knowing, which may seem blasphemous to some Christians (don't know how many)

Also Fun,

If you believe this, then why worship God? There's no way of knowing if God is just, or kind, or loving, until you die. So why spend your time worshiping a being whose motivations are unknown? Do you just take it all as a matter of faith?

I don't know how that means God is not all-knowing.  You'll have to explain that to me more. 

I believe that God is just and loving because that is the central theme to the Bible.  I believe his motivations are known.  I mean the whole purpose of the Bible is to show that man disobeyed God and is sinful.  But God loved us, even though we are sinners, and sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.  Jesus didn't even do anything wrong.  This proves to me that God is just, loving, gracious, merciful, gentle, and kind.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

C.S. Lewis described it free will in a way that I could understand it in "Mere Christianity." I highly recommend it. Even if you're not a Christian, or theist in any way, it may give you insight into how the phenomenon (would/could?) work(s).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
This thread:  :lol: pfft :jerk:
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile