Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 177073 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #550 on: January 14, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
hey shellshock, my father's in-floor heating tube system had some cheap plastic part bust (maybe a fan or something, dunno, didn't pay too much attention) and it caused the whole thing to tear itself apart (motor, computer, etc).  cost like $600, or maybe $1000.  he was real pissed about it.  maybe you should let your friends at big hvac know so they improve the quality of the plastic part.

if you need the name of the part, i can get him to tell the story again and i'll pay attention this time.  he loves to tell the story.

I'm curious about what brand it was? A huge problem with in-floor heating is that it doesn't get installed right the majority of the time.

...still confused how/why there was a fan and/or computer attached to the system though...maybe you don't have all the information?

LOL...obvious Trane shill here amirite?   Acting like there wouldn't be a FAN connected to a hydronic radiant system.    LIES!      :peek:

Far from it...hate hate hate Trane in every aspect of HVAC. The only time I specify/use Trane is when i'm forced to by the owner.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
Are they going to come out with a 3rd gen Nest thermostat in the next 6 months or should I go ahead and buy the 2nd gen now with the $40 amazon credit?

Don't buy that piece of garbage. Do yourself a favor and go get the top of the line Honeywell or even an EcoBee. Honeywell definitely being the top choice though. It's going to run you $300-$400, but it's money well spent if you're building a new house. Tons more options and will play nice with every type of hvac system. The Honeywell one also can interface with lighting, landscape, garage door, alarm systems and such.
I bought the top of the line (at Home Depot/Lowes) Honeywell and I like the look and operation of it but am disappointed it can't control my humidifier.  Is there a professional version of http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203926327 that can seamlessly control typical aprilaire humidifiers?

I've controlled humidifiers with the Honeywell Prestige line before. The stats that HD and Lowes sell sometimes aren't the same ones that you can get if you just call up Honeywell directly....or know a Honeywell employee that can buy through their intranet. I've linked the right stat below:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige+IAQ+Total+Home+Comfort+System.htm
Thanks for the link ShellShock, it looks like I can order the "Pro" equipment off Amazon.

No problem! I'd even call Honeywell directly as sometimes they'll cut a pretty good deal if you try to buy direct. If I had an "in" with equipment purchasing, i'd totally hook you up. I'll keep my ears open though for the future.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #552 on: January 14, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
Don't be fooled.  HVAC "professionals" are BIG TIME scam artists
Huge. Sure pays well though.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

Residential HVAC professionals are huge scam artists. A furnace that costs 2-3k to buy from the factory that gets sold to people for 10k is ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the residential side and i'm not a rep. I'm an engineer that designs commercial hvac. So, I have little bias to defend crooks like that.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 14, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

Residential HVAC professionals are huge scam artists. A furnace that costs 2-3k to buy from the factory that gets sold to people for 10k is ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the residential side and i'm not a rep. I'm an engineer that designs commercial hvac. So, I have little bias to defend crooks like that.
Carefull how much you listen to ShellShock, Steve Dave.  His kind is the type that is convinced ductwork can pass through solid structural objects such as beams and bar joists.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »
why would anybody have a problem with ducts going through bar joists?  :confused:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 14, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »

one of my best friends is an engineer that designs commericial hvac. you're not him are you?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
Burgeoning yes moment here fellas.  :Wha:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 14, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
is that guy from die hard?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
It's Hart Bochner.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
He directed PCU.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
no, no, you're confused. that guy is from die hard.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
why would anybody have a problem with ducts going through bar joists?  :confused:
They don't always fit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 14, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
They don't always fit.

I'm pulling the license from whoever stamped that joist.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 14, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
They don't always fit.

I've actually seen worse.

Offline RONE

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

Then who do you have install the unit? Do it yourself?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
They don't always fit.

@mikec2w

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 14, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
They don't always fit.

I've actually seen worse.

:dubious:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
i can undoubtedly say that is the worst representation of a bar joist (sp?) that i've ever seen

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 14, 2014, 03:49:38 PM »
yeah, not to mention, i could draw a picture of shaq trying to get inside a mini cooper and use that as a reason humans should not drive cars, but then i'd be a huge dumbass like schreds21

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #570 on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

So your saying you have no experience actually running a residential hvac business and don't understand the margins necessary to keep one going. Got it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

False. I actually know quite a bit about heated floors, heated panels for walls, snowmelt systems for sidewalks, etc. If you've ever been to a KSU bball or football game, you've seen my work.

I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside of the OOD, broke my elbow.  Nice work  :Yuck:

Which side of the OOD?

you know damn well you son of a bitch

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »

My thought exactly? Also, you can pass through beams as long as you reinforce the web. There are restrictions though...as there are with anything

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

one of my best friends is an engineer that designs commericial hvac. you're not him are you?

Not sure? Maybe?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
i can undoubtedly say that is the worst representation of a bar joist (sp?) that i've ever seen

Agreed.