Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 179811 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #525 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

well it might not be a heated floor if you've been paying attention.

I have been.  And it is.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »
i'll wait and let the hvac expert decide that, thank you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
I installed an Ecobee in my house last month. I'm very happy with it.
Are you using it control more than one zone or a humidifier? 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
I don't have AC and I think our heater maybe turns on once in the morning or something. Not really sure.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
Are they going to come out with a 3rd gen Nest thermostat in the next 6 months or should I go ahead and buy the 2nd gen now with the $40 amazon credit?

Don't buy that piece of garbage. Do yourself a favor and go get the top of the line Honeywell or even an EcoBee. Honeywell definitely being the top choice though. It's going to run you $300-$400, but it's money well spent if you're building a new house. Tons more options and will play nice with every type of hvac system. The Honeywell one also can interface with lighting, landscape, garage door, alarm systems and such.
I bought the top of the line (at Home Depot/Lowes) Honeywell and I like the look and operation of it but am disappointed it can't control my humidifier.  Is there a professional version of http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203926327 that can seamlessly control typical aprilaire humidifiers?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
maybe you don't have all the information?

i just gave you all the information i have.  i'll collect more, and more accurate, information in the near future.

i think that was his subtle, toot your own horn, way of calling you a liar, sys.

Not at all! Just trying to help out! Easier to solve the puzzle when all the pieces are laid out.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

False. I actually know quite a bit about heated floors, heated panels for walls, snowmelt systems for sidewalks, etc. If you've ever been to a KSU bball or football game, you've seen my work.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »

False. I actually know quite a bit about heated floors, heated panels for walls, snowmelt systems for sidewalks, etc. If you've ever been to a KSU bball or football game, you've seen my work.

I totally believe you.  At the same time, you weren't able to answer a simple question about a heated floor earlier, which makes your credibility suspect.  It's all good, though.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
ShellShock, how much do you know about garage door openers?  Trick question, because you don't know nearly as much as me, so suck it dork.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »

Stud post from one of my favorite posters. 

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 13, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
did you know: hvac stands for "heating, ventilation, and air conditioning"
emaw

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Are they going to come out with a 3rd gen Nest thermostat in the next 6 months or should I go ahead and buy the 2nd gen now with the $40 amazon credit?

Don't buy that piece of garbage. Do yourself a favor and go get the top of the line Honeywell or even an EcoBee. Honeywell definitely being the top choice though. It's going to run you $300-$400, but it's money well spent if you're building a new house. Tons more options and will play nice with every type of hvac system. The Honeywell one also can interface with lighting, landscape, garage door, alarm systems and such.
I bought the top of the line (at Home Depot/Lowes) Honeywell and I like the look and operation of it but am disappointed it can't control my humidifier.  Is there a professional version of http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203926327 that can seamlessly control typical aprilaire humidifiers?

I've controlled humidifiers with the Honeywell Prestige line before. The stats that HD and Lowes sell sometimes aren't the same ones that you can get if you just call up Honeywell directly....or know a Honeywell employee that can buy through their intranet. I've linked the right stat below:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige+IAQ+Total+Home+Comfort+System.htm

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 13, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »

I totally believe you.  At the same time, you weren't able to answer a simple question about a heated floor earlier, which makes your credibility suspect.  It's all good, though.

Which question was that again?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »
ShellShock, how much do you know about garage door openers?  Trick question, because you don't know nearly as much as me, so suck it dork.

Never claimed to be an expert on garage door openers. I usually hire tshirt ku fans to fix my garage doors........

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:50 PM »

Stud post from one of my favorite posters.

:excited: ...thought I was one of the most hated posters here?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 14, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »
All these HVAC dorks are really dragging this SD Builds An Obscenely Nice House thread down.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »
Well, I guess there's no harm in asking.  But I wouldn't pay for something based on what an HVAC guy has to say about a heated floor.  First choice would probably be to go to a place that does kitchens and baths.  They'd probably know all about heated floor fans and stuff.

Haha that is so far from the truth.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Don't be fooled.  HVAC "professionals" are BIG TIME scam artists

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »

I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside of the OOD, broke my elbow.  Nice work  :Yuck:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 14, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »
hey shellshock, my father's in-floor heating tube system had some cheap plastic part bust (maybe a fan or something, dunno, didn't pay too much attention) and it caused the whole thing to tear itself apart (motor, computer, etc).  cost like $600, or maybe $1000.  he was real pissed about it.  maybe you should let your friends at big hvac know so they improve the quality of the plastic part.

if you need the name of the part, i can get him to tell the story again and i'll pay attention this time.  he loves to tell the story.

I'm curious about what brand it was? A huge problem with in-floor heating is that it doesn't get installed right the majority of the time.

...still confused how/why there was a fan and/or computer attached to the system though...maybe you don't have all the information?

LOL...obvious Trane shill here amirite?   Acting like there wouldn't be a FAN connected to a hydronic radiant system.    LIES!      :peek:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 14, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
All these HVAC dorks are really dragging this SD Builds An Obscenely Nice House thread down.

I'll allow it as it's originally my thread.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »

I'll allow it as it's originally my thread.

The power is going to your head.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Freedom brother.  What kind of gestapo way of thinking do you subscribe to? 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

I've controlled humidifiers with the Honeywell Prestige line before. The stats that HD and Lowes sell sometimes aren't the same ones that you can get if you just call up Honeywell directly....or know a Honeywell employee that can buy through their intranet. I've linked the right stat below:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige+IAQ+Total+Home+Comfort+System.htm
Thanks for the link ShellShock, it looks like I can order the "Pro" equipment off Amazon. 

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside of the OOD, broke my elbow.  Nice work  :Yuck:

Which side of the OOD?