Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 179869 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
Clams, they had a Sub Zero drink center floor model for $1,450 today. No damage or anything. May buy it if it's still there Monday.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
This is 5 sd posts in a row. Amazing.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
appliance shopping is so weird. like, it's hard to get actual pricing of stuff online. you can get msrp but there are no real prices anywhere.  :angry:

get a subzero fridge with a glass window.  those ooze class.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 18, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
engineers aren't stupid. architects and contractors are stupid.

yeah, tell that to the engineer that insisted we run fire sprinkler piping inside the purlin cavity on a metal building roof.   You know, where the insulation goes.   And because it's a great idea to have your fire sprinkler pipe on the outside of your insulation plane.

Fire protection "engineers" aren't real engineers...

**EDIT: In addition, I had a professor back in the day tell my whole class (I'm sure all ARE/CNS posters know who i'm talking about) that if you gave him three bananas, he could teach a monkey to design plumbing/fire protection systems.

no, this was an ARE that also taught at KSU for a while.

I miss Chuck.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 18, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Prolly granite
Not that you would have any, but get rid of your stoneware, it can scratch granite.

that doesn't sound accurate.

True story. The only thing they said that would hurt granite or silestone is stone dishes or diamonds.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
This is 5 sd posts in a row. Amazing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
Prolly granite
Not that you would have any, but get rid of your stoneware, it can scratch granite.

True story. The only thing they said that would hurt granite or silestone is stone dishes or diamonds.

a)  stoneware is a type of ceramic, not made of stone.  b)  it would have to be a stone harder than granite.  basically, other granite.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 21, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
walked the property with the builders and went over some stuff yesterday. need to have rock/brick, appliances, plumbing fixtures picked out in the next couple weeks to we can meet with the cabinet maker and the plumber can know where to put pipes or whatever plumbers put in stuff. discovered we have two of those boxes in the back corner of our property which we had hoped were outside of it. gonna have to put some bushes around them or just fence them off or something.

for appliances we are going to do a viking range and ge cafe other appliances in the kitchen. electrolux beverage center under the butlers pantry leading to the deck. fridge is counter depth. mrs. dave drinks a lot of tea and it will dispense hot water which was a big deal to her. range hood is just some generic stainless steal deal with grease catch things you empty out instead of those mesh filters. we decided to go with a heat & glo cosmo for the fireplace because it is shorter and wider and didn't have fake logs which we aren't fans of. can't pick out the granite/quartz/etc. until we meet with the cabinet guy and get the measurements. they are framining now and have these huge heater deals in the basement part of the foundation heating up the entire block. it was pretty fun picking all the stuff out that we've picked so far.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 21, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »
Clams, they had a Sub Zero drink center floor model for $1,450 today. No damage or anything. May buy it if it's still there Monday.

wow.  i wonder if you bought it?  would be super jealous if you did.  what a great way to keep your refreshments cold.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 21, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »

wow.  i wonder if you bought it?  would be super jealous if you did.  what a great way to keep your refreshments cold.

no, it was gone whe we went back  :frown:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
ya.  good price but who knows if they're really worth it over other brands.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 21, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
Prolly granite

a)  stoneware is a type of ceramic, not made of stone.  b)  it would have to be a stone harder than granite.  basically, other granite.

Ceramic is made from bunch of sand and other crap, which is coincidentally also a bunch of glass. Rough glass will scratch your countertops. If you don't believe me, take a nice rough stone pot and rub it around on your countertops. That was the number 1 rule we were told when we had our new countertops installed.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
sd that sounds like a lot of fun but a big headache.. I'd need a software that would show me what everything would look like when its all put in there.. (did you get to do anything like that?  :love: )

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
sd that sounds like a lot of fun but a big headache.. I'd need a software that would show me what everything would look like when its all put in there.. (did you get to do anything like that?  :love: )

no, I wish we did. it is a lot of visualization but it is also for the builder because we've just been finding pictures of what we want and giving it to them and saying "like that". the entire house has been that way. we had them build us a house similar to one we already liked but then had them move walls and expand rooms and whatnot all over. they are great to work with so far though. the architect has been really good about slapping whatever we want into the design as long as we aren't moving certain stuff around. also, if we can't have something we want they are great about saying stuff like, "no, we can't move that wall and here's why. BUT, we could do this..." and then suggesting other stuff to accomodate what we are wanting.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
This house is going to be pretty rockin'. Congrats.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
walked the property with the builders and went over some stuff yesterday. need to have rock/brick, appliances, plumbing fixtures picked out in the next couple weeks to we can meet with the cabinet maker and the plumber can know where to put pipes or whatever plumbers put in stuff. discovered we have two of those boxes in the back corner of our property which we had hoped were outside of it. gonna have to put some bushes around them or just fence them off or something.

for appliances we are going to do a viking range and ge cafe other appliances in the kitchen. electrolux beverage center under the butlers pantry leading to the deck. fridge is counter depth. mrs. dave drinks a lot of tea and it will dispense hot water which was a big deal to her. range hood is just some generic stainless steal deal with grease catch things you empty out instead of those mesh filters. we decided to go with a heat & glo cosmo for the fireplace because it is shorter and wider and didn't have fake logs which we aren't fans of. can't pick out the granite/quartz/etc. until we meet with the cabinet guy and get the measurements. they are framining now and have these huge heater deals in the basement part of the foundation heating up the entire block. it was pretty fun picking all the stuff out that we've picked so far.
Did you look into doing built in fridge and freezer?  I know they get spendy but they look awesome and counter depth fridges have dick for space.  I mean, we have acres of cabinets full of crap that never gets used but I have to walk out to get something out the garage fridge daily because our counter depth fridge barely holds a gallon of milk.

A cheaper option that would give you the look of built ins and prolly come within a few hundred of a SS counter depth is a freezer-less fridge and matching upright freezer.  You lose the water and ice despenser but you may not care with your butlers pantry.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
SD, did you consult your architect on options for putting a TV in the garage?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 21, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
built ins are nice, but I cringe when I think about the hassles mom and dad had when they had to replace their built in appliances because of changes in appliance size.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
yeah, we looked at them but but it didn't really fit with our kitchen set up. I'm hoping we will be fine with the space since we have the beverage center in the butlers pantry for drinks. our frige right now is a monster whirlpool and even with by binge supplies it has a lot of empty space. here are the ones we got:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=CYE23TSDSS#

http://www.electroluxappliances.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Refrigerators/Beverage-Center/EI24BC65GS.aspx

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
SD, did you consult your architect on options for putting a TV in the garage?

no, completely spaced it. will just roll something out there in front of my bag chair when needed I guess.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
you guys should install one of those central air vacuums.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Post pictures of landscaping.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
Prolly granite

Ceramic is made from bunch of sand and other crap, which is coincidentally also a bunch of glass. Rough glass will scratch your countertops. If you don't believe me, take a nice rough stone pot and rub it around on your countertops. That was the number 1 rule we were told when we had our new countertops installed.

amazingly, you're mostly right about this.  apparently granites and ceramics both span quite a range from hard to soft, and plenty of ceramics are hard enough to scratch many granites (a few are hard enough to scratch all of them - ceramic knifes and such).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:14 AM »
Prolly granite

amazingly, you're mostly right about this.  apparently granites and ceramics both span quite a range from hard to soft, and plenty of ceramics are hard enough to scratch many granites (a few are hard enough to scratch all of them - ceramic knifes and such).

Backhanded compliment sys, but i'll take it!