Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 172755 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
Big gyms will have child care (major plus in my book).  Your small HOA gym might give you greater control over the TV and if they don't you just need to get yourself on the Gym commitee or whatever.

My wife is a bit of a germaphobe so the child care at the big gym was not full utilized when the kids were small.  How much less are comparable HOA fees for a 'hood w/o a gym?  $600 aint too bad for one with a gym by JoCo standards.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »

one of the places we are looking at has a pool and gym but the gym is kinda stupid compared to the huge ass gym we are members of and it's about $600 a year in fees to live there for that stuff. but, our current gym is like $120 a month. worth it? do you guys with young kids think it was worth it for your kids and mine should any little daves appear at some point?

We have pool and gym.  Pool is fantastic but the tiny gym should have just been a foosball room or something.  You will keep your real gym membership.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
one of the places we are looking at has a pool and gym but the gym is kinda stupid compared to the huge ass gym we are members of and it's about $600 a year in fees to live there for that stuff. but, our current gym is like $120 a month. worth it? do you guys with young kids think it was worth it for your kids and mine should any little daves appear at some point?

how many ellipticals?  clean?

it's clean. small though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
good input skipper and limestone

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
Ring the doorbells at the doorbell store like a 3 yr old and then pick one.  And then ring the doorbells some more.

4' x 10' windows that are common on new builds, consider paying extra for ones that open out/vent.

We put rocker switches all over instead of toggles.   Just a different look and not much more expensive.

Had AC power outlets installed in master closet and hall closet and they get used.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
I'm serious about gym.  A neighborhood gym just isn't the same.  Your workouts will suffer.

Also, 3 car garage

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
Re kids: having a pool and gym close by is a big plus.

If you don't get at least a 3 car garage, I will never be your friend (because the SD I think I know deserves at least a 3 car garage.

I would probably get a north or south facing house. Direct sun in the backyard at night renders that awesome deck useless in the summer until about 10:00 pm.

Tell the builder you don't want fill dirt for the top 6 inches of your yard and landscape area. I know you don't do that work, but I am guessing you want it to look awesome. Put in good soil and you won't regret it.

Also, don't let them pour a drive way that narrows to a single entry at the street.

Hardie plank siding or brick is the way to go.

Extra wide main door frame to allow for double doors or a kickass single door with awesome effects on the side.

Don't buy or build a house that the stairs going up are the first thing you see when you walk in the front door, unless the are back from the door at least 12 feet.

Real estate can't be too expensive where you live. If you are going to raise kids at this house, get 1/2 acre or more (22,000 sq ft) for a lot.

Cul-de-sac or gtfo. (Ok, at least not a through street with the future potential of having heavy traffic.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »

I'm serious about gym.  A neighborhood gym just isn't the same.  Your workouts will suffer.

Also, 3 car garage
If I wouldn't have given so much awesome advice, I wouldn't have luked the 3 car garage.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

Also, 3 car garage

my workouts couldn't suffer much more than they currently do but good input. of course 3 car. I'm not some savage.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Re kids: having a pool and gym close by is a big plus.

If you don't get at least a 3 car garage, I will never be your friend (because the SD I think I know deserves at least a 3 car garage.

I would probably get a north or south facing house. Direct sun in the backyard at night renders that awesome deck useless in the summer until about 10:00 pm.

Tell the builder you don't want fill dirt for the top 6 inches of your yard and landscape area. I know you don't do that work, but I am guessing you want it to look awesome. Put in good soil and you won't regret it.

Also, don't let them pour a drive way that narrows to a single entry at the street.

Hardie plank siding or brick is the way to go.

Extra wide main door frame to allow for double doors or a kickass single door with awesome effects on the side.

Don't buy or build a house that the stairs going up are the first thing you see when you walk in the front door, unless the are back from the door at least 12 feet.

Real estate can't be too expensive where you live. If you are going to raise kids at this house, get 1/2 acre or more (22,000 sq ft) for a lot.

Cul-de-sac or gtfo. (Ok, at least not a through street with the future potential of having heavy traffic.

Gonna win 'em all!

thanks dobber.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
Ring the doorbells at the doorbell store like a 3 yr old and then pick one.  And then ring the doorbells some more.

4' x 10' windows that are common on new builds, consider paying extra for ones that open out/vent.

We put rocker switches all over instead of toggles.   Just a different look and not much more expensive.

Had AC power outlets installed in master closet and hall closet and they get used.

hadn't even thought of any of this. thanks.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

Also, 3 car garage
If I wouldn't have given so much awesome advice, I wouldn't have luked the 3 car garage.

Gonna win 'em all!

I have everything in your post but my lot is 19,500 and you can see stairs going up when you walk in but they are off to right.  About 10 feet from door

Also, your second floor deck should have stairs down to the patio for your walkout.  For some reason the builder of my place had them go down other side.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
there is a lot of shitty advice in this thread.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

And now there are some more shitty posts

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

give your good advice kc. I need it.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
kim post the blueprints to your house

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »

they didn't have blueprints in 1927

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »

Also, 3 car garage

Gonna win 'em all!

I have everything in your post but my lot is 19,500 and you can see stairs going up when you walk in but they are off to right.  About 10 feet from door

Also, your second floor deck should have stairs down to the patio for your walkout.  For some reason the builder of my place had them go down other side.
Congrats STUD, on your stud house.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »

they didn't have blueprints in 1927

That's like really old

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
this is also a good thread for people to want to architect or whatever my house or build it or whatever. I will pay the normal amount plus I'm steve dave. please consider.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
My parent's house was built in the 1800s. Still going strong (interior re-built many times).

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2013, 11:54:40 PM »
You can pull off a 3 car garage on a smaller lot by making a garage 2 cars in length and deep/wide enough to put a 3rd car behind one of them.  Its just cleaner space and more logical to organize with shelves etc if storage is what you really want with a 3-car garage.  Everyone i know with an adjacent 3rd car space just piles crap in it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2013, 01:27:07 AM »
You can pull off a 3 car garage on a smaller lot by making a garage 2 cars in length and deep/wide enough to put a 3rd car behind one of them.  Its just cleaner space and more logical to organize with shelves etc if storage is what you really want with a 3-car garage.  Everyone i know with an adjacent 3rd car space just piles crap in it.

Imagine that, Olathe cat lives next to hoarders.  Who'd thunk?

Go cats!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2013, 01:38:39 AM »
Whatever you preference is for a range/cooktop, still have them run gas and 220v, just incase for the future.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
If you are designing a house and you don't:
  • have limestone indoor/outdoor accents
  • build a limestone wall
then I am going to drive up to whatever crappy omaha ex-urb you settle on and TP your house and vandalize your mailbox.