Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 174589 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »
Pool

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36:57 PM »
Lazy river for transit within the house?

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
What I wish I had in my house:

Wiring, including enough electrical circuits and outlets, for all the latest tech/a-v/computer stuff;

Closets at least double current size and a closet just to put luggage in;

Laundry in master;

Dual/zoned hvac. If one unit ever goes out, there is someplace to go with a/c while you wait for repairman.

Enough space on driveway that my wife can back out even if there is another car on driveway.

Minimal carpeted areas. Gets too dirty/worn.

No skylights. They leak no matter what you do.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
Get those outlet covers with the built in USB for wherever you would want to charge phone/tablet.  eff finding the charger plug

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
My guess is by Thursday we see a Steve post something like this
"Thanks, but no thanks building a house is too much work"
I'm purple down

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Have CanCo make you up some blueprints, you'll save a fortune over an architect

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »

several friends from social situations who are doctors have built custom homes.  all have agreed that hiring a really good architect is key but that yes, it's still a lot of work.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

several friends from social situations who are doctors have built custom homes.  all have agreed that hiring a really good architect is key but that yes, it's still a lot of work.

eff

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
definitely a pool though

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »

eff
it gets worse.  wait until a couple years after you move in and something goes wrong.  and you hire someone out to the house to fix it.  and they're like, wtf is this crap i've never seen anything like this and you're like, dunno bud. 

but still, customs are elite.  just more expensive to build and maintain.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
pretty great fanningbrag thread by sd here.  7 pages!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

eff
it gets worse.  wait until a couple years after you move in and something goes wrong.  and you hire someone out to the house to fix it.  and they're like, wtf is this crap i've never seen anything like this and you're like, dunno bud. 

That all depends on how custom you go.  I mean, you would have to get pretty high end before you would lose familiarity of the individual system types that make any given house.  Also, if you do go high custom, make sure your contract includes something called As-Built Drawings/Redline drawings.  Basically, the build will start with blue prints, these are what is supposed to be built.  As-Builts/Redline drawings are what actually gets built.  They will show actual locations of all the parts and pieces that built your house.  Changes happen.  These things will document the changes so that when something does go wrong, you can pull them out and have the info ready for the guy who needs to know what he is fixing and where it is. 

Each installing contractor will have the responsibility of providing redline drawings of their specific work.  The general contractor will gather them from the subcontractors and either turn over all the individual drawings from the individual subs to you, or could compile them on one document and give you one drawing with all the mark ups.  The latter would cost quite a bit more than the former.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2013, 12:31:41 PM »
no interior structural walls so you can reconfigure your house whenever you want

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

eff

That all depends on how custom you go.  I mean, you would have to get pretty high end before you would lose familiarity of the individual system types that make any given house.  Also, if you do go high custom, make sure your contract includes something called As-Built Drawings/Redline drawings.  Basically, the build will start with blue prints, these are what is supposed to be built.  As-Builts/Redline drawings are what actually gets built.  They will show actual locations of all the parts and pieces that built your house.  Changes happen.  These things will document the changes so that when something does go wrong, you can pull them out and have the info ready for the guy who needs to know what he is fixing and where it is. 

Each installing contractor will have the responsibility of providing redline drawings of their specific work.  The general contractor will gather them from the subcontractors and either turn over all the individual drawings from the individual subs to you, or could compile them on one document and give you one drawing with all the mark ups.  The latter would cost quite a bit more than the former.

and the workers will all crush like 30 Busch Lights and pee in your basement every day.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »

eff

and the workers will all crush like 30 Busch Lights and pee in your basement every day.

Yep, and if you address this with the general and tell him it has to stop, you will find huge pics of dongs and writings explaining how huge of an bad person you are and how much you enjoy the company of other men in closets and the basement and stuff right above notes written down for dimensions and stuff.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
no interior structural walls so you can reconfigure your house whenever you want

Get those airwalls they use in hotel banquet spaces.  Reconfigure that crap in between halves of cat's games

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »

eff

smh.  i wasn't talking about custom homes for poors iirc.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
We built in 2006. Customized walkout ranch from existing plan on our own lot. Five years later, we had a page long list of things we'd do different and it keeps growing. However, it's such a stressful endeavor that we probably won't do it again. Fortunately we built with that in mind. I can retire in this house.

If I built a again, I'd consider the following:

High efficiency wall and roof structure - SIP, foam, concrete. Just not standard batt and stick.

Central vacuum

Two hvac systems - we're running five zones on a three ton.

Casement windows - we have tip in vinyl. Waste of money and energy hogs.

Driveway in front of home - it comes to the side and we can't see who's in the driveway.

4th bedroom - we never use the formal dining

Tech wiring - I'd rather not use wifi for everything

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
thanks ipa4me

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »
Is central vacuum really that cool?  it always seems to me like it wouldn't be any different to carry a vacuum around the house than a large vacuum hose... am I missing the point here?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:20:24 PM by HerrSonntag »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »
Is central vacuum really that cool?  it always seems to me like it wouldn't be any different to carry a vacuum around the house than a large vacuum hose... am I pissing the point here?
I am not a fan of them. I have been to too many houses where they have the central vac, but they use a regular upright.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
After the plumbing and electrical are in and before the sheetrock and cabinets, take a ton pictures of everything and mark which wall the picture is from.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Put in docking stations for your mobile devices throughout the house. Make it so they can be converted easily. I was in a boss house a few weeks ago that had little ipod stations in multiple rooms so you could plug in your ipod and listen to tunes in any room. Unfortunately, not compatible with iphone 5.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
Put in docking stations for your mobile devices throughout the house. Make it so they can be converted easily. I was in a boss house a few weeks ago that had little ipod stations in multiple rooms so you could plug in your ipod and listen to tunes in any room. Unfortunately, not compatible with iphone 5.

sonos tho

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »

sonos tho
point clams.