Author Topic: KSU Booze Cats  (Read 557213 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Booze Cats
« Reply #6300 on: March 14, 2023, 12:29:56 PM »
We open Big 12 play at a really bad Baylor team this weekend and if we can't take 2 out of 3 from that team, it'll confirm the "we're not very good" suspicions.

For comparison, we just swept another really bad Youngstown State team 45-12 last weekend. Baylor actually split a 4-game series with YSU this year, which represents two of the three wins YSU has this year - they're 1-11 in non-Baylor games this year, which includes a 22-1 loss to Kent State.

The good news is that our hitting numbers are way up after we faced an onslaught of bad teams. The bad news is that our starting pitching is still very, very suspect. The ERAs of pitchers who have started more than one game for us this year are: 3.26, 6.75, 8.36 and 14.73.   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: March 14, 2023, 12:45:26 PM »
Good post and pretty much what I thought.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: March 14, 2023, 01:35:26 PM »
That starting pitching gonna get torched at Baylor

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: March 14, 2023, 02:07:28 PM »
every time i see those kinds of ERAs i say "PEEEEEEEEETE HUGHS!" but i do it in a way that sounds like i'm saying "PEE-YEW!" like when you loudly exclaim that you smell a foul odor

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: March 14, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »
The ERAs of our three primary starters last year in Big 12 play were 5.75, 6.70 and 8.91. So, it's not like we were killing it last year, either.

Greg could probably speak to this, but I imagine the splits home v. away were pretty sizable. One hallmark of Pete's teams has been the massive gap between performance at home vs. on the road - like, it's way worse than a typical team. In 2021, when we actually did have a good team, we were 24-7 at home (8-4 in Big 12 and won every home series, which included some vs. ranked teams) and we were 3-12 on the road overall (2-10 in Big 12 play). If that team had won 2-3 more Big 12 road games, they're probably in the tourney.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: March 15, 2023, 10:20:17 AM »
Yeah, it's mind boggling how bad this team is on the road in conference play, only to be pretty decent at home.

I know the Texas people were bitching about our small ball park (the actual field not the stadium) last year, saying that HR's at TFS would be long lazy fly balls at DF.

I've never paid much attention to the dimensions, but TFS does seem a bit smallish.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: March 15, 2023, 09:59:33 PM »
All I’m saying is that the playground in left field is really close and my 6 yo always talks about wanting to go there for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: March 16, 2023, 12:41:20 AM »
SD did you go watch the batcats pound the crap out of creighton 3-0 tonight?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: March 16, 2023, 08:38:22 AM »
No, I have covid :-(

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: March 16, 2023, 10:37:16 AM »

:sdeek:

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: March 16, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
Get well soon SD!

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: March 16, 2023, 10:51:03 AM »
The ERAs of our three primary starters last year in Big 12 play were 5.75, 6.70 and 8.91. So, it's not like we were killing it last year, either.

Greg could probably speak to this, but I imagine the splits home v. away were pretty sizable. One hallmark of Pete's teams has been the massive gap between performance at home vs. on the road - like, it's way worse than a typical team. In 2021, when we actually did have a good team, we were 24-7 at home (8-4 in Big 12 and won every home series, which included some vs. ranked teams) and we were 3-12 on the road overall (2-10 in Big 12 play). If that team had won 2-3 more Big 12 road games, they're probably in the tourney.
I'm not even bbs'ing when I say this but the best home field advantage in all of College Baseball just on ballpark factors is Tointon Family Stadium. I did a research project on park factors for all parks in the NCAA and we have the best park factor homefield advantage in all of college baseball.

The wind in Manhattan blows out of the south/southeast on a majority of days during baseball season (Thanks to a linear regression I ran with close to 70 years of NWS data last year). The balls get launched because the diamond/homeplate orientation is to the northeast, therefore this makes for some banging afternoons at the ole tointon.

The elevation theory is also very very real in Manhattan. We had a homerun off of a bat speed of 92 mph last year. That is unheard of anywhere else in the country.

If you are a kicker in football or a slugger in baseball Manhattan is the place to be to juice the hell out of those numbers.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: March 16, 2023, 10:54:50 AM »
Yeah, it's mind boggling how bad this team is on the road in conference play, only to be pretty decent at home.

I know the Texas people were bitching about our small ball park (the actual field not the stadium) last year, saying that HR's at TFS would be long lazy fly balls at DF.

I've never paid much attention to the dimensions, but TFS does seem a bit smallish.
It is extraordinarily small, the Yankees Stadium of the midwest we called it.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: March 16, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »

I'm not even bbs'ing when I say this but the best home field advantage in all of College Baseball just on ballpark factors is Tointon Family Stadium. I did a research project on park factors for all parks in the NCAA and we have the best park factor homefield advantage in all of college baseball.

The wind in Manhattan blows out of the south/southeast on a majority of days during baseball season (Thanks to a linear regression I ran with close to 70 years of NWS data last year). The balls get launched because the diamond/homeplate orientation is to the northeast, therefore this makes for some banging afternoons at the ole tointon.

The elevation theory is also very very real in Manhattan. We had a homerun off of a bat speed of 92 mph last year. That is unheard of anywhere else in the country.

If you are a kicker in football or a slugger in baseball Manhattan is the place to be to juice the hell out of those numbers.

I guess I don’t understand why the visiting team wouldn’t be able to enjoy these advantages as well? Or are you saying that the batcats are so familiar with the friendly confines that they know exactly where to aim it? And they know how the ball is going to move? Kind of like how in Oakland if there’s a foul ball keep chasing it bc you have plenty of room? Or like with how wrigley (I think) doesn’t have an upper deck so pop flies will have a goofy change in flight path

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: March 16, 2023, 01:13:03 PM »

Also SD  :sdeek: that sucks even worse than we sucked a week and a half ago (major suck) hope your immunity genes are as good as your hair genes

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6315 on: March 16, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »

Also SD  :sdeek: that sucks even worse than we sucked a week and a half ago (major suck) hope your immunity genes are as good as your hair genes

I don't feel bad, just stuck at home and bored. Also supposed to go to Palm Beach sunday but won't if I'm still testing positive.  :frown:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: March 16, 2023, 08:31:11 PM »

I don't feel bad, just stuck at home and bored. Also supposed to go to Palm Beach sunday but won't if I'm still testing positive.  :frown:
https://youtu.be/xo1VInw-SKc

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: March 19, 2023, 07:53:13 PM »
Dropped the series at Baylor we suck again

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: March 20, 2023, 12:21:36 PM »

I guess I don’t understand why the visiting team wouldn’t be able to enjoy these advantages as well? Or are you saying that the batcats are so familiar with the friendly confines that they know exactly where to aim it? And they know how the ball is going to move? Kind of like how in Oakland if there’s a foul ball keep chasing it bc you have plenty of room? Or like with how wrigley (I think) doesn’t have an upper deck so pop flies will have a goofy change in flight path

I don't know about the overall numbers, but I do know that historically some of the biggest names in baseball have hit some absolute moon shots at the Toint. 

Pete Incaviglia from Okie Lite hit one that may still be in orbit

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: March 20, 2023, 01:18:08 PM »

We actually got two quality starts (in the 1st and 3rd games) and the pen handled the first and completely blew it in the third game. Our bats weren't great - 22 hits in three games.

Considering Baylor entered the series as the worst hitting and pitching team in the league - by far in both categories - it's most definitely not a good sign. We're probably going to be fighting it out with them for last place in the league.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: March 20, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »

We actually got two quality starts (in the 1st and 3rd games) and the pen handled the first and completely blew it in the third game. Our bats weren't great - 22 hits in three games.

Considering Baylor entered the series as the worst hitting and pitching team in the league - by far in both categories - it's most definitely not a good sign. We're probably going to be fighting it out with them for last place in the league.

ku doesn't appear to be setting the world on fire from what i've seen. Wouldn't be surprised if we are in a 3 way fight for who wants it least. Losing the series at baylor means we are going to have to want it even less than them now, i suppose.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: March 20, 2023, 02:14:58 PM »
Do they can his ass if we finish last?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: March 20, 2023, 02:16:12 PM »
ending his run of Big 12 Championships might very well be grounds for termination.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: March 20, 2023, 02:19:09 PM »

I cannot speak to this because I don't have really any idea. I think timing is everything and that the cats/coaching staff have that down to a T.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: March 20, 2023, 02:45:39 PM »

I cannot speak to this because I don't have really any idea. I think timing is everything and that the cats/coaching staff have that down to a T.

Phase 1: Recruit elite groundballers and infield.
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 02:54:13 PM by bucket »