Author Topic: $2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut  (Read 38008 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Screw all the people that hate the facility or its location. Rowing is of the elite. Too bad the men's club can't compete in NCAA and use this thing too. If anything we should be complaining about equestrian. EQUESTRIAN. Also, we don't have a soccer or softball team and that is embarrassing.

But, thank the lord, at least we have rowing.

No don't complain about Equestrian either, horses are fun. It is quite embarrassing we don't have soccer and softball.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
Screw all the people that hate the facility or its location. Rowing is of the elite. Too bad the men's club can't compete in NCAA and use this thing too. If anything we should be complaining about equestrian. EQUESTRIAN. Also, we don't have a soccer or softball team and that is embarrassing.

No don't complain about Equestrian either, horses are fun. It is quite embarrassing we don't have soccer and softball.

Describe the situation in which that would embarrass you?  I cannot imagine how I would ever be embarrassed by something other than a revenue sport, so this is fascinating to me.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
We should not spend money on any sport except men's basketball and football.

Those two provide all the others with their scholarships and operating revenue.  Isn't that enough?

If the NCAA would allow it, I'd drop them all, and keep just enough women's sports to satisfy title 9.
We are already at that point...

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Describe the situation in which that would embarrass you?  I cannot imagine how I would ever be embarrassed by something other than a revenue sport, so this is fascinating to me.

It's embarrassing because we don't have a soccer field, and a softball team would cost pennies. We had a baseball team without a baseball field in the 90's. Not a fan of either, but you could put out a softball team for five years at the same cost this ridiculous rowing facility costs us.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

there is no situation.  he is a dumbass.

Offline ascentofstan

• Fan
  • It's the wonder of nature, baby.
    • View Profile

My OU friends: "Hey so the OU softball team is currently ranked #1 in the country and is bringing a lot of attention to our university. Wanna go to the game when K-State comes down to play?"
Me: "Well, uh, we don't actually have a softball team."
My OU friends: "HAHA really?"
Me: "Yeah, but we have... equestrian..."
My OU friends:  :facepalm:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

My OU friends: "Hey so the OU softball team is currently ranked #1 in the country and is bringing a lot of attention to our university. Wanna go to the game when K-State comes down to play?"

:lol: OMG

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

:lol: OMG

I know, right!

LOL at the idea of going to a rough ridin' softball game.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »

Those two provide all the others with their scholarships and operating revenue.  Isn't that enough?

If the NCAA would allow it, I'd drop them all, and keep just enough women's sports to satisfy title 9.

No we are not.  I would drop Men's track and baseball if I could. 

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile

It helps to know what you're talking about.
All D-I schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women

The Kansas State Wildcats are currently represented in the following NCAA Division I varsity sports:
Men's sports
Baseball
Basketball
Cross country
Football
Golf
Track and field
Women's sports
Basketball
Cross country
Equestrian
Golf
Rowing
Tennis
Track and field
Volleyball

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It helps to know what you're talking about.
All D-I schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women

The Kansas State Wildcats are currently represented in the following NCAA Division I varsity sports:
Men's sports
Baseball
Basketball
Cross country
Football
Golf
Track and field
Women's sports
Basketball
Cross country
Equestrian
Golf
Rowing
Tennis
Track and field
Volleyball

That's why I added the "if the NCAA would allow it" part when I said we should drop every sport except for football and Men's basketball.

They are worthless, as evidenced by them not bringing in any money.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's embarrassing because we don't have a soccer field, and a softball team would cost pennies. We had a baseball team without a baseball field in the 90's. Not a fan of either, but you could put out a softball team for five years at the same cost this ridiculous rowing facility costs us.

We have a soccer field, we have a full blown stadium.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
MIR, don't you think it would be better to have Men's soccer than baseball?  We have a facility for soccer, and we could easily double down on that.

Plus, soccer is trending upward in this country.  When they ban football helmets do to concussions, we'll be in better shape.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would rather have baseball than soccer if forced to choose, but I would like both.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
i'm like pete, shut it all down.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
MIR, don't you think it would be better to have Men's soccer than baseball?  We have a facility for soccer, and we could easily double down on that.

Plus, soccer is trending upward in this country.  When they ban football helmets do to concussions, we'll be in better shape.

Definitely more of a soccer fan than college baseball which is weird because I love the MLB. Given a choice I guess I'd go with soccer but why not let everybody play? Also lots and lots of concussions in soccer too. People in Boston studying brain injuries listed soccer second to football with number of brain injuries.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Definitely more of a soccer fan than college baseball which is weird because I love the MLB. Given a choice I guess I'd go with soccer but why not let everybody play? Also lots and lots of concussions in soccer too. People in Boston studying brain injuries listed soccer second to football with number of brain injuries.

How close of a second?  Has to be quite a bit less than football, right?

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
I'm with Pete, we should definitely get rid of all the women's sports.  Except women's volleyball.  We can keep women's volleyball.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Don't know, but it's ahead of lacrosse and hockey.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Don't know, but it's ahead of lacrosse and hockey.

I'd imagine its played more than lacrosse and hockey.  What are the numbers of concussions per participant?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I accept the title 9 mandates for equal number of scholarships.  I'm mostly pissed at the NCAA requirement of 7 sports for Men.  That's silly.  There should be no minimum level.

I'm OK with keeping all the women's sports if it means we can cut every men's sport besides football and men's basketball, then use those funds on football and men's basketball.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I accept the title 9 mandates for equal number of scholarships.  I'm mostly pissed at the NCAA requirement of 7 sports for Men.  That's silly.  There should be no minimum level.

I'm OK with keeping all the women's sports if it means we can cut every men's sport besides football and men's basketball, then use those funds on football and men's basketball.

I think we should pick one non-rev sport to kick ass in.  All others get nothing.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think we should pick one non-rev sport to kick ass in.  All others get nothing.

Not for men.  Screw those parasites.

Let's make the non-rev sport that we focus on be a women's sport.  I say soccer.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not for men.  Screw those parasites.

Let's make the non-rev sport that we focus on be a women's sport.  I say soccer.

Works for me.  Soccer is one of the more watchable women's sports.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
:
I'm with Pete, we should definitely get rid of all the women's sports.  Except women's volleyball.  We can keep women's volleyball.

I don't like your tone. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:08:04 PM by Belvis Noland »