Author Topic: $2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut  (Read 37260 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Also I miss Denison Hall, the only class I ever had in there was my favorite, Current Political Issues.

Your mom is a current political issue.

:lol: yeah she is
Inside joke????  :confused:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
For reference, and to illustrate how our stadium is in the middle of rough ridin' nowhere and how the pastures and gravel lots surrounding it are not "prime real estate," please see the rest of BigXII stadiums per google maps.

My 3 year old daughter walked, not carried, from the student union to our seats on the west side. She's three Belvis,  three. People have carried goal posts from the stadium to Aggieville. This is amongst the weirdest gripes I have ever seen. I have been to a lot of places and honestly I think KSU and ISU are among the best setups I have ever seen. Any place where you can park at the stadium and tailgate all day and/or walk less than 20 minutes completely through campus and to an elite bar district is awesome. The location of our campus literally allows you to "do whatever you want" and not be inconvenienced. I mean 3 year old girls can make that walk without whining, what are we talking about here?

are you for this or against this? you seem to be contradicting yourself.

I'm real for it. I'm just trying to figure out why Belvis thinks the stadium is in Leonardville. What did I say to indicate that I wouldn't be for this wonderful complex and its location?

I mean, jesuscrist MIR, are you serious?  It's hyperbole.  I understand the stadium isn't, literally, in the "middle of nowhere." I'm simply pointing out that its particular location happens to be surrounded by the 2 largest surface lots in the BigXii and thousands of acres of farmland.  Or, in other words, a LOT of rough ridin' open land.  IMO, a 9,000 sq ft building on a gravel lot in this vast expanseof nothingness isn't hurting anything.  Rather, I think this development is another positive step toward creating a contiguous gateway connecting the "recreational and athletic" quadrant to the core campus. 

Read the master plan and talk with KSU administrators.  Though, technically, the northwest corner of campus, the athletic and rec quadrant is on an island and we are attempting to develop a gateway, connecting it to the core campus.  Developments like Jardine, KSU Gardens, Chester Peters, and the athletics campus are going to continue to be a primary area of focused KSU decelopment. 

This is all true, despite the fact that your 3 year old can walk over a mile in less than 20 minutes. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean, jesuscrist MIR, are you serious?  It's hyperbole.  I understand the stadium isn't, literally, in the "middle of nowhere." I'm simply pointing out that its particular location happens to be surrounded by the 2 largest surface lots in the BigXii and thousands of acres of farmland.  Or, in other words, a LOT of rough ridin' open land.  IMO, a 9,000 sq ft building on a gravel lot in this vast expanseof nothingness isn't hurting anything.  Rather, I think this development is another positive step toward creating a contiguous gateway connecting the "recreational and athletic" quadrant to the core campus. 

Read the master plan and talk with KSU administrators.  Though, technically, the northwest corner of campus, the athletic and rec quadrant is on an island and we are attempting to develop a gateway, connecting it to the core campus.  Developments like Jardine, KSU Gardens, Chester Peters, and the athletics campus are going to continue to be a primary area of focused KSU decelopment. 

This is all true, despite the fact that your 3 year old can walk over a mile in less than 20 minutes.

Stop being mad belvis, I'm legitimately confused about what is happening here. All that area you are mentioning will always be open land though. The parking lots aren't going anywhere and all of that research land north of Kimball isn't going to turn into a tif district so how and more importantly where will all of this development take place to "creating a contiguous gateway connecting the 'recreational and athletic' quadrant to the core campus?" Doesn't this already exist? Are they going to bulldoze that garbage shantytown south of Jardine? I hope so.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
MIR, why do you love worthless sports so much?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Does K-State hold any deed options or rights to any property around campus?  Washburn University can get a crack at a lot of land around campus if its sold.  I have little doubt the K-State couldn't use Kilo New London to procure land if necessary.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
MIR, why do you love worthless sports so much?

Don't know what you mean by worthless sports? Do you mean women's sports?  :opcat: with a penis head top instead of a point.

Also I've been working out on an erg lately. I'm pretty lukewarm about it but I feel like I'm getting a dece burn.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
I would hate having our stadium anywhere that prevented our current tailgating style. Downtown stadiums of almost any sort can get mumped.
:adios:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile

Belvis thinks Jardine is too far to walk to campus without a bus system. I could only imagine what he would think if you were to suggest walking from BSFS to Aggieville.

He probably thinks you're a complete dumbass for suggesting that BSFS and Aggieville are in close enough proximity and that it would be a common occurance for any normal person to actually willingly embark on a 2.5 mile and 47 minute traverse accross town for anything, much less walk between those two locations on a typical game day. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:23:39 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Works best for arenas, its okay for baseball but its a total buzzkill for football, there aren't many municipalities equipped to handle the mass of fans that football games attract if sufficient tailgating options aren't available. Even NFL stadiums in the middle of large metro areas offer plenty of parking for tailgates. Pittsburgh has a downtown football stadium on a river but they have ample parking, same with Baltimore. I really don't like places like OU where you have to haul all of your crap to campus green space to tailgate.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Belvis thinks Jardine is too far to walk to campus without a bus system. I could only imagine what he would think if you were to suggest walking from BSFS to Aggieville.

He probably thinks you're a complete dumbass for suggesting that BSFS and Aggieville are in close enough proximity and that it would be a common occurance for any normal person to actually willingly embark on a 2.5 mile and 47 minute traverse accross town for anything, much less walk between those two locations on a typical game day.

Plenty of people do that, and it absolutely isn't 2.5 miles and 47 minutes, unless you are not going through campus and walking on your hands. There is very little difference between walking to/from Ford and Haymaker than walking to/from Aggieville. When it's nice I like to have some food and drinks in Aggieville, walk through campus, stop at Call Hall, hit up some tailgates, and watch the game. After the game I can hang out at some tailgates and/or take the shuttle to the union or Aggieville if the shuttle line is too long walking is fine too. If your deal is getting into town, getting to the stadium and then getting out when the game is over you can do that too. Once again our stadium is wonderfully equipped to "do whatever you want."

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Plenty of people do that, and it absolutely isn't 2.5 miles and 47 minutes, unless you are not going through campus and walking on your hands. There is very little difference between walking to/from Ford and Haymaker than walking to/from Aggieville. When it's nice I like to have some food and drinks in Aggieville, walk through campus, stop at Call Hall, hit up some tailgates, and watch the game. After the game I can hang out at some tailgates and/or take the shuttle to the union or Aggieville if the shuttle line is too long walking is fine too. If your deal is getting into town, getting to the stadium and then getting out when the game is over you can do that too. Once again our stadium is wonderfully equipped to "do whatever you want."

That's cool.  I'm not saying you don't.  I'm simply measuring time and distance off of google maps and I'm talking about normal people.

I'm also just pointing out that 99% of our fan base is not consciously and willingly choosing to walk 2.5 miles from Aggieville to the northern outskirts of our campus on a typical game day.

The weird argument in all if this, I think, is that LHC LHC Bill Snyder Football Stadium is conveniently located "on campus".  It's just strange because conveniently "on campus" in this case means located on the peripheral outskirts next to a bunch of farm land, intramual fields and large surface parking lots.

The bottom line for me is if we ever want to eventually create a true campus athletics district or develop a corridor along Kimball, this rowing center is a small step in the right direction and it appears to be in line with the overall master plan.  I wish it didn't look like it was a dentist's office, but I'm good with the project in general.  Big boys in college athletics with profitable departments spend money on frivolous Title IX stuff like this because they can.  And the sooner we can check it off the list and get back to the stuff I actually care about like a limestone field wall at BSFS, the better.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:47:48 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Stop being mad belvis, I'm legitimately confused about what is happening here. All that area you are mentioning will always be open land though. The parking lots aren't going anywhere and all of that research land north of Kimball isn't going to turn into a tif district so how and more importantly where will all of this development take place to "creating a contiguous gateway connecting the 'recreational and athletic' quadrant to the core campus?" Doesn't this already exist? Are they going to bulldoze that garbage shantytown south of Jardine? I hope so.

You're not confused about crap.  That open land won't always be open land because most of it is KSU land and they can do with it what they please.  See NBAF and Roberts.  See the abandoned foundation site on the Nw corner of denison and kimball. 

Regarding the corridor between the athletic quadrant and core campus, just read the campus and athletics master plan and stop making yourself look like a dumbass.  Thanks in advance. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:52:33 AM by Belvis Noland »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
I think some of you guys need to fire off an email or something.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Google path plotter yields about a 1.5 to 1.7 mile walk depending on the route from the Southeast Corner of BSFS to Aggieville.

Some of the best walks are across campus after a game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I have a feeling that the area around the stadium won't be anything like OU's ever. Call it a hunch.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Walking from the Ville to BSFS is pretty easy. I think I did it three times this past year. It's faster than taking the shuttle bus or even driving yourself because of traffic. Stop being so fat, everyone.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
Imagine if we never moved the bill out to the cow pasture and built it where old stadium currently stands. Anderson/Ville corridor would be elite.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Walking from the Ville to BSFS is pretty easy. I think I did it three times this past year. It's faster than taking the shuttle bus or even driving yourself because of traffic. Stop being so fat, everyone.

:lol:

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Google path plotter yields about a 1.5 to 1.7 mile walk depending on the route from the Southeast Corner of BSFS to Aggieville.

Some of the best walks are across campus after a game.

can confirm for half of the walk (the part between clafin and the ville). most normal people take about 20-30 min to make the walk the 1.5 miles - which is on par with many other cfb stadium to bar districts distance.

Would be nice if there were a bar/restaraunt or two between clafin and the stadium

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You're not confused about crap.  That open land won't always be open land because most of it is KSU land and they can do with it what they please.  See NBAF and Roberts.  See the abandoned foundation site on the Nw corner of denison and kimball. 

Regarding the corridor between the athletic quadrant and core campus, just read the campus and athletics master plan and stop making yourself look like a dumbass.  Thanks in advance.

the eff is your problem dude, your tone is an issue. That land north of Kimball is land used to further our mission as a land grant university, NBAF fits that mission. What do you think that land should be used for and more importantly how would any use make it feel closer to the core of campus? Try to answer without sounding like Billy Badass, you are weirdly fired up about this.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You're not confused about crap.  That open land won't always be open land because most of it is KSU land and they can do with it what they please.  See NBAF and Roberts.  See the abandoned foundatioon site on the Nw corner of denison and kimball. 

the eff is your problem dude, your tone is an issue. That land north of Kimball is land used to further our mission as a land grant university, NBAF fits that mission. What do you think that land should be used for and more importantly how would any use make it feel closer to the core of campus? Try to answer without sounding like Billy Badass, you are weirdly fired up about this.

Wut?

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

You're not confused about crap.  That open land won't always be open land because most of it is KSU land and they can do with it what they please.  See NBAF and Roberts.  See the abandoned foundatioon site on the Nw corner of denison and kimball. 

Wut?

Basically, that land is Agronomy/Grain Science land. Back off.

Offline ascentofstan

• Fan
  • It's the wonder of nature, baby.
    • View Profile
Screw all the people that hate the facility or its location. Rowing is of the elite. Too bad the men's club can't compete in NCAA and use this thing too. If anything we should be complaining about equestrian. EQUESTRIAN. Also, we don't have a soccer or softball team and that is embarrassing.

But, thank the lord, at least we have rowing.

Offline Ich.Gewinne

• Combo-Fan
  • Mumble Rap Is Great!
    • View Profile

Wut?

Basically, that land is Agronomy/Grain Science land. Back off.

Agronomy Education Center and other research facilities will be going into the North Farm soon.. The grain facilities just upgraded.. Won't be any close space near the "training table" or whatever the heck they call it to put the athletic facilities (if that's what this was about.. plus K-State would have to wait a while to even begin building it as many research plots, viable land, are reserved for x amounts of years..) - Lots of paper pushing just to get the process started..
Back for more bad takes.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
We should not spend money on any sport except men's basketball and football.

Those two provide all the others with their scholarships and operating revenue.  Isn't that enough?

If the NCAA would allow it, I'd drop them all, and keep just enough women's sports to satisfy title 9.