Author Topic: 2013 QB Competition: Sams vs. Waters  (Read 269016 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Waters is so good
« Reply #1375 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
Is DSams just a change of pace quarterback or can he put together long drives and effectively run an offense. who rough ridin' knows.. but I'd like to see it some point in the season

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
Josh Freeman was fantastic.
Yup! He also excelled at throwing INT's too. Just like Jake!!! :D http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-freeman-1.html

If Jake can finish out the season with a 3:1 TD:INT to match Josh I will praise the crap out of him

Josh also had 400 rushing yards his junior year.  Not a chance Jake comes within 500 yards of that.

Josh haters also have him no credit for his feet, again likely the same ones saying Jake can run.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 09, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
In chat, we were talking about how Waters is like a girl that checks all the boxes, but in the end, you just know she's meant for some one else.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
I don't really remember anyone wishing sunshine would start over Josh Freeman.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 09, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
In chat, we were talking about how Waters is like a girl that checks all the boxes, but in the end, you just know she's meant for some one else.

Maybe you should put him in touch with Beckman.  He might like that zany Cubit offense.  I mean who won't they throw it to!?  Right?  Yeah.       
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
Yup! He also excelled at throwing INT's too. Just like Jake!!! :D http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-freeman-1.html

If Jake can finish out the season with a fizz:1 TD:INT to match Josh I will praise the crap out of him

Josh also had 400 rushing yards his junior year.  Not a chance Jake comes within 500 yards of that.

Josh haters also have him no credit for his feet, again likely the same ones saying Jake can run.
Freeman has the big arm that makes teams defend the whole field - Waters may be more accurate but he has yet to make a throw that makes me think he has above average Big 12 arm strength.

This team will not run the football in conference play with him at QB - we are currently averaging 3.2 ypc (2.2 if you take out Sams carries :sdeek:), lowest since 2005  :frown:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »

Maybe you should put him in touch with Beckman.  He might like that zany Cubit offense.  I mean who won't they throw it to!?  Right?  Yeah.       
We would trade him straight up for a LB that can run

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Tucks were furious, talking about how he was wronged,  RP sabotoged sunshine because he promised his golden boy he would be the starter and that's why he decommitted. Some even said it was because Josh was black, great bbsing season on GPC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 09, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

If Jake can finish out the season with a fizz:1 TD:INT to match Josh I will praise the crap out of him

Freeman has the big arm that makes teams defend the whole field - Waters may be more accurate but he has yet to make a throw that makes me think he has above average Big 12 arm strength.

This team will not run the football in conference play with him at QB - we are currently averaging 3.2 ypc (2.2 if you take out Sams carries :sdeek:), lowest since 2005  :frown:

Jake hasn't gotten the chance to show off his arm, we're running eomething that resembles the WCO.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 09, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
The only thing I was pissed about re. Freeman's first year is that we waited so long to burn the redshirt (which wasn't until the Baylor game IIRC).  Either go with him earlier or redshirt the entire way, I thought.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
I'm not even necessarily advocating that we start Sams. I just think he needs a more defined role in the gameplan.  He has been subbed in these past few weeks with seemingly no rhyme or reason, just kind of a random "switch em up".  FWIW, I think the coaches do have a real plan for him, but are too afraid to show a damn thing in the OOC games.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 09, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »
The only thing I was pissed about re. Freeman's first year is that we waited so long to burn the redshirt (which wasn't until the Baylor game IIRC).  Either go with him earlier or redshirt the entire way, I thought.

We played Freeman in the non-con against crappy teams that year.  He didn't start, but the RS was burned early

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »

We played Freeman in the non-con against crappy teams that year.  He didn't start, but the RS was burned early
You're right.  I stand corrected.

He threw four incomplete passes and an INT against FAU in the second game of the season.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 09, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Is DSams just a change of pace quarterback or can he put together long drives and effectively run an offense. who rough ridin' knows.. but I'd like to see it some point in the season

hi y-l_a,

I agree with your post

your bud,
gfa
emaw

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
I'm not even necessarily advocating that we start Sams. I just think he needs a more defined role in the gameplan.  He has been subbed in these past few weeks with seemingly no rhyme or reason, just kind of a random "switch em up".  FWIW, I think the coaches do have a real plan for him, but are too afraid to show a damn thing in the OOC games.
People give this talking point way to much run. It's ok to say Bill is rough ridin' up. In no way do i believe he has this super secret plan.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 09, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »

You're right.  I stand corrected.

He threw four incomplete passes and an INT against FAU in the second game of the season.
The Baylor game was really the only one a case can be made that we would of won if JF would have played more

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1391 on: September 09, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
Jake hasn't gotten the chance to show off his arm, we're running eomething that resembles the WCO.

Yeah, the possession passiing game seems really odd.  If we're trying to keep the chains moving and run clock, just use a QB run offense.

Also, I think this is why Jake will struggle in the red zone.  Our smallish receivers just aren't going to get the kind of separation in the red zone that will make use of this kind of offensive philosophy.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
At the very least, I'd like to see Sams in the following situations:

1) Red Zone possessions
2) If we have a lead in the 3rd quarter, a Sams series to hopefully eat clock with a run oriented possession
3) If we have a lead in the 4th quarter, a Sams series to hopefully eat clock with a run oriented possession

This way we can use the west coast passing attack when Waters has open field to get the ball to his receivers, and when we get into a short field, we switch over to Sams and use him Belldozer style so we can score more TDs since his threat to run the ball will force the defense to move some safeties and LBs into rush defense and maybe open up the TE, RB or FB a little more for use in the red zone passing game.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
I want to see Sams start, play the entire game, and dance in the endzone right in the haterz fat faces.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 09, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
I want to see Sams start, play the entire game, and dance in the endzone right in the haterz fat faces.
Who are the haterz?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 09, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »

1) Red Zone possessions
2) If we have a lead in the 3rd quarter, a Sams series to hopefully eat clock with a run oriented possession
3) If we have a lead in the 4th quarter, a Sams series to hopefully eat clock with a run oriented possession

This way we can use the west coast passing attack when Waters has open field to get the ball to his receivers, and when we get into a short field, we switch over to Sams and use him Belldozer style so we can score more TDs since his threat to run the ball will force the defense to move some safeties and LBs into rush defense and maybe open up the TE, RB or FB a little more for use in the red zone passing game.

I just worry that playing that much Waters puts us at a high risk of getting blown out by good teams.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 09, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »

1) Red Zone possessions
fizz) If we have a lead in the 4th quarter, a Sams series to hopefully eat clock with a run oriented possession

I just worry that playing that much Waters puts us at a high risk of getting blown out by good teams.
against quality competition I want to start Sams.  If we have to throw every down to catch up I would rather do it after the opponent's D has been playing on it's heels to keep from Sams from getting the big play. 

Letting Waters wallow around out there while Big fizz teams run blitz the hell out of us on O and scorch our slow D then switching to Sams is a plan for failure.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

1) Red Zone possessions

I'm not a proponent of the two QB system, and I think this team is better fit, personnel wise, for Sams.

What I posted was a best case scenario, IMO, if the coaches feel like Waters is their guy 80% of the time.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
His passing ability is very overrated as it relates to how our fans talk about him. He had 2 very good passes that a good hs quarterback wouldn't complete on Saturday, both when he was on the move. He can complete basic passes and his throwing motion looks good, we haven't had a pocket passer that can do this since 1995 so everyone thinks this guy is Peyton Manning.

Maybe he just looks so good because we've been watching Collin/Queso/Gregory the last 4 years?
or maybe it's because he's completed 72% of his passes for 558 yards in 2 games with a 9.3 yds/attempt.  :dunno:

You excluded three very important QB stats though. Also why, in the case of the offense that Waters is being asked to run,are people making a big deal about yds/attempt? Seemingly 95% of his attempts are within 5 yards of the LOS with receivers racking up YAC.
so he doesn't get credit for recievers' yac but he has to take the entire td/int stat line even though he would be 3/3 if not for 2 clear receiver derps?  jesus christ, MIR.

why is it so rough ridin' hard to admit that the evidence so far is that he's a pretty good pocket passing qb that has a good release, is accurate and can scramble effectively when the pocket breaks down...AND...Sams is still the better qb for our system?

Um I was just pointing out that your little stat pack told half of the story. I do think he's a good passer, nothing more. I think his biggest issue isn't his accuracy, his receivers,  his running back, or his o line; its his coaches insistence on him running someone else's offense.
why do I get the feeling that we've all been arguing for about 12 pages now and we all essentially agree on virtually everything? :confused:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
why do I get the feeling that we've all been arguing for about 12 pages now and we all essentially agree on virtually everything? :confused:

yeah this thing is really dragging on.  I don't think anyone on here disagrees that Sams should at the very least get the ball more.
emaw