Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 313821 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Also, is there anyway to hide this thread from Trim before he sees it? Last time we talked about this was the angriest I have seen Trim without him choking someone out. This time he may not be able to restrain himself.

Yeah, we did this already.  Also, courtPAK Monday morning very close to where you live.  Already have 1, maybe 2 goEMAW'rs going with me.

trim isn't objective on health care, because health care saved his life.  just ignore everything he has to say on the subject.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
Also, is there anyway to hide this thread from Trim before he sees it? Last time we talked about this was the angriest I have seen Trim without him choking someone out. This time he may not be able to restrain himself.

Yeah, we did this already.  Also, courtPAK Monday morning very close to where you live.  Already have 1, maybe 2 goEMAW'rs going with me.

trim isn't objective on health care, because health care saved his life.  just ignore everything he has to say on the subject.

I appreciated it so much that I even paid for it.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »

:sdeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
positives - previously uncovered people covered, some cost controlling measures instituted.

negatives - no serious reform of the systemic problems in the american health care model, insurance middleman profits institutionalized, possible market control of runaway cost growth (e.g. significant % of population could not, or soon would not, be able to afford health care) sidestepped, permitting future growth to continue unchecked.

I was off the grid this weekend, but here are some thoughts.  The previously uncovered people are going to ("choose to") have some shitty health plans.  Suppose you're a waitress, are supporting two kids by yourself, and have some plan with a $12,000 deductible because it costs you the least out of your paycheck.  (These plans do exist, are more prevalent each year, and are absolutely the direction that things are headed.)  In what sense are you "covered?"  Do you rest easy at night due to the peace of mind of knowing that if someone in your family is hospitalized, you're only going to be seriously mumped financially rather than the alternative of being seriously mumped financially? 

Cost control measures, of course, are negligible.  Anyone could surmise that much.  The only thing I could add is that premiums are projected to continue rising.

I'm not sure about your second negative.  There may be some presuppositions about the role of government that extend beyond healthcare.  I'm also not sure about the third negative.  People who will receive aid from Obamacare (and would otherwise have no healthcare coverage) are a significant percentage of the population?  I don't know.  The first negative I definitely agree with.  It's totally fair game, too, because of how the plan was presented to the public.  I'd add that Obamacare actually fits right in with the current model, not making it any better or worse, but just adding more of the same types of crap we've already got.  For example, we've got Medicaid now and Obamacare creates more Medicaid, we've got commercial insurance now and Obamacare creates more commercial insurance, and so on.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 05:51:27 AM »
MIR, Jakesie and Trim headed to court shortly.  :excited:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
I think there should be free healthcare as far as the eye can see.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »

That would be pretty great.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
It seems a bit discriminatory against blind people.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »
The clarity of the bill seems to be the biggest problem for all. Asking any of my friends, even pre-med folk and sis who's at ku med, no one knows what all it entails.

For me, i know it means that i can stay on my parents plan longer, which as i'll be studying a while longer, is huge. my humira that is normally $2500 a month is about $70 with insurance. So, for a couple more years, that's amazing.

I know that the AHA also provides incentives of some sort to prescription manufacturers to provide relief on medication. Abbott (Mfr of Humira) is providing a supplement to my insurance so that now, instead of 2500 or 70 a month, its $5 dollars a month for me to stay healthy. pretty sure there's either pressure, or incentive, for all manufacturers (AZP, Pfizer, GSK, etc) to provide these supplements.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »

Jakesie overslept.  :lol:

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
Obamacare is unconstitutional.

Of our 3 presidential candidates Gary Johnson is the only one that will actually follow the rules for the presidency. But FOX CNN MSNBC ETC..... refuse to acknowledge the ONLY CANDIDATE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO CUT THE BUDGET AND END THE WAR MACHINE END THE CRONY WAR ON DRUGS WHEN THE US IS THE BIGGEST DRUG DEALER IN THE WORLD.. I MEAN WE HAVE CONTROL OF 90% OF THE HERIOIN SUPPLY AND YET WE STILL HAVE A HEROIN CRISIS.
EMAW

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »

Of our 3 presidential candidates Gary Johnson is the only one that will actually follow the rules for the presidency. But FOX CNN MSNBC ETC..... refuse to acknowledge the ONLY CANDIDATE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO CUT THE BUDGET AND END THE WAR MACHINE END THE CRONY WAR ON DRUGS WHEN THE US IS THE BIGGEST DRUG DEALER IN THE WORLD.. I MEAN WE HAVE CONTROL OF 90% OF THE HERIOIN SUPPLY AND YET WE STILL HAVE A HEROIN CRISIS.

Don't pin "America" as the biggest drug dealer in the world, although we do protect a lot of opium in Central Asia though. The FDA and it's crony companies are the biggest drug dealers in the world.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »

Just didn't feel like helping myself.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Just didn't feel like helping myself.

You weren't the only one.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

The most christian guy on this board is Jewish.  A post previously held by a Muslim, but he passed before his time.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

The most christian guy on this board is Jewish.  A post previously held by a Muslim, but he passed before his time.

I'm proud of Saul. He keeps just enough of his salary to sustain his family, and give the rest to the government to provide healthcare for the poor. He is a good man that puts his money where his mouth is. The Joe Biden of the board.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:13 AM »

Don't pin "America" as the biggest drug dealer in the world, although we do protect a lot of opium in Central Asia though. The FDA and it's crony companies are the biggest drug dealers in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk3EBmiURgw - Graham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe34JZaTZo - Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkOzuiFZ6g-Joe ( Yes we do sell drugs Pike)

EMAW

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

Didn't the Supreme Court already rule on this?

Or am I just dreaming?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

Or am I just dreaming?

Yes, it's constitutional.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk3EBmiURgw - Graham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe34JZaTZo - Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkOzuiFZ6g-Joe ( Yes we do sell drugs Pike)

lol at all the inaccuracies in those videos. crazy shepards of men tending their flock  :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »

Or am I just dreaming?

Yes, they said it is simply the largest tax increase in US history, which is constitutional.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »

Or am I just dreaming?

Yes, they said it is simply the largest tax increase in US history, which is constitutional.

Actually, it's only a tax on those who choose not to have insurance, so the extent of the tax increase remains to be seen. I'm betting it ends up being pretty small.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »

Or am I just dreaming?

Actually, it's only a tax on those who choose not to have insurance, so the extent of the tax increase remains to be seen. I'm betting it ends up being pretty small.

There are more than a dozen new taxes in the bill. You also need to consider that the young, healthy people that didn't really need or want insurance, are now forced to pay either insurance premiums or the penalty. That's a huge amount of money out of the economy and into the insurance company and IRS pockets.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Why do young, healthy people not need insurance?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
There are more than a dozen new taxes in the bill. You also need to consider that the young, healthy people that didn't really need or want insurance, are now forced to pay either insurance premiums or the penalty. That's a huge amount of money out of the economy and into the insurance company and IRS pockets.

Gonna be great when that young, healthy person gets in a car wreck, gets paralyzed and can't pay his $500,000 medical bills.  Guess we'll all just pay for that.
:adios: