Author Topic: Memorial Stadium in Lawrence blows  (Read 170880 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
Remove the track, square off the bowl, build the stands closer to the field, add a second set of suites to the East side, and update some of the concourses, and KU's stadium will be one of the better places to watch a game in the Big 12. 

So, basically, memorial would be great if it were entirely different. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
Remove the track, square off the bowl, build the stands closer to the field, add a second set of suites to the East side, and update some of the concourses, and KU's stadium will be one of the better places to watch a game in the Big 12. 

So, basically, memorial would be great if it were entirely different.

Yeah, it needs work.  Not gonna deny that.  The athletic department just broke ground a couple days ago on a new track facility that will likely host NCAA and Big 12 championship events.  Once that is completed, which is expected to be around this time next year, KU will then update the football stadium.  We will probably announce something after next season.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
I've had a lot of friends in from out of town and they all said that KSU has a better gameday atmosphere than KU  :horrorsurprise:
emaw

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
Removing track, excavating the field, adding bleachers to get the stands closer to the field, and re-surfacing/turfing the new field will cost a lot of money for very little change.  Sadly it's probably a necessity before thinking about any additional projects to that stadium.  Hopefully the donors realize this and step it up so the bells and whistles can come before 2025.  KU will soon (post Baylor completion) have the shittiest stadium in the Big 12, with a very large gap between them and the rest of the conference.     
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
Beems, every Big 12 school with a regulation track (ku didn't have one) is in the rotation to host the Big 12 Outdoor Championship.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
If it's going to cost KU $200 million to remove the track and lower the field, then why don't they just build a new stadium and start over?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
If it's going to cost KU $200 million to remove the track and lower the field, then why don't they just build a new stadium and start over?

Yeah, it's not like there's anything worth saving or architecturally significant.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »

Hard to argue with this.  My only thought is it's only affordable if they do it in a phased approach.  What they need to do is play in Arrowhead for two years while they do a complete demo/rebuild.  But maybe even 2 years isn't long enough.  How many places build in the exact same spot as the old stadium?  Most build next to it or completely different location then demo old structure.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
Beems, honest question. What is so special about "the hill"? Be as objective as you possibly can.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
I've had friends from 18 states and 6 countries on 3 continents tell me that ksu's gameday blows ku's out of the water.

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 17, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »

Hard to argue with this.  My only thought is it's only affordable if they do it in a phased approach.  What they need to do is play in Arrowhead for two years while they do a complete demo/rebuild.  But maybe even 2 years isn't long enough.  How many places build in the exact same spot as the old stadium?  Most build next to it or completely different location then demo old structure.

Pretty sure the University of Washington has done this for the past 2 seasons. They've been playing their home games at Centurylink, while the new stadium is being built. Don't know if they re-built it where the old one was or not.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »

Pretty sure the University of Washington has done this for the past 2 seasons. They've been playing their home games at Centurylink, while the new stadium is being built. Don't know if they re-built it where the old one was or not.

why would they play at Century Link if they weren't doing it at the old stadium?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
Beems, every Big 12 school with a regulation track (ku didn't have one) is in the rotation to host the Big 12 Outdoor Championship.

KU's will be able to host NCAA championships as well. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
Beems, honest question. What is so special about "the hill"? Be as objective as you possibly can.

What's so special about The Grove?  It is what it is.  As people, we learn to appreciate aesthetics and places with beautiful scenery.  I don't know why.  Why are boobs good?  Why does filet mignon taste good? 

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
I think it's great that the city of Lawrence will be able to host ncaa track championships at their new facility
emaw

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
I think it's great that the city of Lawrence will be able to host ncaa track championships at their new facility

The women's program has been ranked #1 for four straight weeks now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us add another championship to the trophy case this summer.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »

What's so special about The Grove?  It is what it is.  As people, we learn to appreciate aesthetics and places with beautiful scenery.  I don't know why.  Why are boobs good?  Why does filet mignon taste good?

I'd take a ribeye or prime rib over a filet any day.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »

Berms just compared the sight of a hill to the best tailgating experience in all of football.  :lol:  there's so much wrong with that comparison, but he knows that already.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »
so I've come to the conclusion recently in this thread (I know some of you have already realized this) that beems is just trolling. Up until his last few posts in this thread I thought he truly believed the crap he threw out there, but this post proved he is trolling:

bravo good sir, bravo.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Guys, all they have to do is:

1. Remove the track
2. Square off the bowl
3. Build the stands closer to the field
4. Add a second set of suites to the East side
5. Update some of the concourses

When all of that happens, KU will leapfrog to around the middle of the pack in stadium awesomeness.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

I couldn't think of a reason either.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »

The women's program has been ranked #1 for four straight weeks now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us add another championship to the trophy case this summer.

Maybe, but the average population of NCAA D1 Outdoor Championship Host Cities over the last 12 years:  313K

But I understand, Cheyenne Zulu had to do a hell of sales job to cobble together that back room deal and loan from the KU Foundation, since state backed financing was not available.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »

Pretty douchey thing to say.  The bottom line is you're a butthurt K-State fan... you hate KU.  Why waste my time trying to explain to you why I value the fact that KU has a beautiful campus next to its stadium?  It's useless.  No matter what I say, you're going to hate on it. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »

Maybe, but the average population of NCAA D1 Outdoor Championship Host Cities over the last 12 years:  313K

But I understand, Cheyenne Zulu had to do a hell of sales job to cobble together that back room deal and loan from the KU Foundation, since state backed financing was not available.

Who is Cheyenne Zulu, and why do you constantly pretend like KU is struggling to raise money for athletics?  Our athletic department dwarfs K-State and our endowment is damn near five times the size of your little ag school on the prairie.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »

Pretty douchey thing to say.  The bottom line is you're a butthurt K-State fan... you hate KU.  Why waste my time trying to explain to you why I value the fact that KU has a beautiful campus next to its stadium?  It's useless.  No matter what I say, you're going to hate on it.
Campus is fine. The hill isn't really anything though. It's a slope that gets mowed. No impartial person would look at it and think "picturesque".