Author Topic: Lowery Interview on 1350  (Read 66735 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lowery Interview on 1350
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »

Frank's best conference record was 11-5. He got 10-6 three times. oscar's best conference season was 15-1, and he got to 13-3 once, 11-5 once, and 11-7 once.

Which do you think is more likely to occur again?

Throw out the outliers and I think that's where oscar is typically going to end up at K-State.  There may be an atypical year (good or bad), but for the most part, I think he'll finish in the range of [12-6] - [9-9] most years. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

Frank's best conference record was 11-5. He got 10-6 three times. oscar's best conference season was 15-1, and he got to 13-3 once, 11-5 once, and 11-7 once.

Throw out the outliers and I think that's where oscar is typically going to end up at K-State.  There may be an atypical year (good or bad), but for the most part, I think he'll finish in the range of [12-6] - [9-9] most years. 

Why throw out the outliers? He has a championship game appearance!

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

Why throw out the outliers? He has a championship game appearance!

:lol:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every player on Frank's best team entered the program with Frank as the head coach except Colon.  Even if Huggins was the primary recruiter on some of them, they all signed LOIs or transferred in to play for Frank.

Every key player on Weber's best team was already in the program when he took over.  Moreover, to suggest well they stayed when he took over so he should get some sort of credit for that is absurd.  Those were players with NBA aspirations.  They were smart enough to realize that together they could do big things as opposed to sitting out a season to play somewhere else.  They would have stayed together regardless of the coach.  It wasn't Weber and it wasn't Illinois, it was that group of players and what they knew they could achieve together that kept them at Illinois.  They (Williams, Head, Brown and Augustine) wanted a shot at the NBA and sooner rather than later. 

Martin achieved his greatest success at KSU with players that he convinced to sign LOIs to play for him or to transfer in to play for him.  None of that applies to Weber's greatest achievements at Illinois, which is also why he never replicated it again, which is also why it is highly unlikely he will ever even so much as sniff such success again in his career no matter the program.  Weber cannot attract the type of talent that got him to the NC game through normal means.  If he steps into a situation in which he is the lesser of two evils, then he's in like Flynn.

Perhaps Frank was becoming toxic and he wouldn't have been able to achieve past results, but that's at
least speculative.  With Weber it's already been proven. 

This doesn't even take into account the hellacious negative recruiting that he's going to be going up against now that he ultimately tanked and got canned at Illinois.  For a guy that isn't a strong recruiter to begin with, I don't know how he could possibly hope to combat or overcome that on the trail.       

Frank may have attained his ceiling in 09-10, but I think it could have been repeated several times, starting with next season.

So Frank's ceiling is his best year (by far).  But Weber's ceiling is not. 

Makes perfect sense. 

My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
I think #teamhorns and #teamhalo all pretty much agree that oscar will win next year, but what if he doesn't? I mean, if he takes what's returning and goes 8-10 in league and misses the tournament, that's fireable when you consider what he's got and what his career arc has been.

Of course, #teamhalo would still be on here making excuses for the continuation of his career schneid, because Weber will be talking about how the players returning weren't really that good and #teamhalo will swallow that hook, line, and sinker. Weber will dangle some Top 100 recruit coming in, so we'll hear, "let him get his guys in the program." And finally, Currie won't admit to a disaster hire by firing the guy after one season (assuming Currie hasn't already played out the next part of his career plan).

So then what would have to happen his second season to get fired?  Repeat of the first?  Or does he get to keep pointing to his Southern Illinois conference champys and championship game appearance as justification to keep him around?  I mean, John Wooden may not have done anything lately, but he won 10 championships or whatever, so maybe we should have Weekend at Bernie's Wooden instead of Weber. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:52:20 PM by slimz »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
i don't think weber will bury the program.  i'm sure it will be ok when he's done with it.  i just think he's ten years of boring, bubbly basketball.  we don't live that long, it pisses me the eff off that currie stole ten years of my basketball viewing prime.

this could be the biggest load of  crap in this entire thread, and that's saying something.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

Would this be terrible for a 6 year stretch? Fireable?

26–7 12–6 T–2nd NCAA 2nd Round
23–12 10–8 T–4th NCAA 1st Round
16–19 6–12 T–9th 
24–10 11–7 T–2nd NCAA 1st Round
21–15 10–8 5th NIT Quarterfinals
20–14 9–9 T–4th NCAA 2nd Round

Wouldn't be terrible by any stretch.  Fireable?  Hell no.  Pretty much Frank Martin bball.  Missed 1 postseason, which Frank never did.  Also finished 2nd on Conference twice, which Frank never did.  give or take, Frankesque results.   

the guy in the above scenario only won two tournament games in six years. that's not frankesque results. it's not even close to frankesque results. frank won three times that many in one less year. you need to get your head checked.

This, that's 2-4 (Frank 6-4) in the NCAAs and (at least) 3 of 4 trips not playing to seed. 

Also, that's 58-50 in conference (53.7%).  Frank went 50-32 (61%). 

And 130-77 (62.8%) vs Frank's 117-54 (68.4%).

How is that "Pretty much Frank Martin bball"?

Also, Belvis:  I believe KSU did finish tied for 2nd place in the conference in 09-10.  But lol anyway at the assumption that 11-7 in conference finishes in a 2nd place tie.  We just finished 10-8 and got 5th.  Frank finished 10-6 twice and was 3rd and 3rdT in those seasons.   

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
I apologize for bringing up the hypotheticals, now the hypotheticals are being analyzed to death. At some point the analysis of "what ifs" becomes ridiculous. It did do a good job of further separating the halos and horns I suppose.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
Hook 'em
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
check out this gangster ass crap

weber claps like a loser!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
check out this gangster ass crap

weber claps like a loser!

In his defense, it would be kind of weird if the band came in and played a song just for you, with cameras on you.  Just seems weird and uncomfortable on the band's part.  That doesn't explain his weird clapping motion though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
At least Mike's jersey is retired in his office

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
weber even makes the band sound like crap.  pretty sure he's wearing the wrong shade of purple, too.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
"I told them, 'You guys remember me? You beat us by 8 million points.' They all started laughing. That's how I broke the ice."
-- K-State associate head coach Chris Lowery, who served as Southern Illinois' head coach last season, on his first meeting with Wildcat players.

Sounded like a nice moment where lot's of LOL's were exchanged.  :thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:13 PM »
"I told them, 'You guys remember me? You beat us by 8 million points.' They all started laughing. That's how I broke the ice."
-- K-State associate head coach Chris Lowery, who served as Southern Illinois' head coach last season, on his first meeting with Wildcat players.

sounds like lowery is the best at making jokes. everybody has to be the best at something.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

sounds like lowery is the best at making jokes. everybody has to be the best at something.

:nono: I think you're forgetting Weber's classic line about losing in Bramlage's first game. These 2 guys are gonna be fighting hard for the titles of best jokester and worst coach.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 11, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
I just can't deal with any of this anymore.  Find LSOC on the football board from here forward.  Unless my "good news" thread is threatened by poor people.

Good bye

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 12, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
I wish losing wasn't a joke our coaches...

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
 :lol: remember the time that team X just kicked the absolute crap out of us  :lol:

:angry: :chainsaw: :curse: Frank would never tell jokes like this  :angry: :chainsaw: :curse:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »

I remember watching that game and thinking to myself how horrible and shitty that SIU team was and how lucky we were that Weiser didn't try to hire that Lowery loser back in the day post Wooly.  And now he's on our staff!  Man, how things change.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:16:28 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lowery Interview on 1350
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

I remember watching that game and thinking to myself how horrible and shitty that SIU team was and how lucky we were that Weiser didn't try to hire that Lowery loser back in the day post Wooly.  And how he's on our staff!  Man, how things change.

It's pretty hilarious, you guys. (just joshin' to break the ice, ya know?)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Hahaha, you guys really clownsuited us.  Ok, let's work on some jump shots while I positively encourage you!

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 12, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
but one thing we do know is that 3 players asked for and met with ADJC.

I may have missed that, but how do we know 3?

We don't know who, but I would suggest it wasn't Omari, Watson, Jones or some other meaninless scrub.

What makes you suggest that? 

Do you think that the entire basketball staff was either in on this rampant player abuse or oblivious to it?  I can't get passed the fact that they all went with Frank when many had other options.  If Frank has/had become so toxic with players why the hell would they choose to go to a dead end basketball program and sink their careers with his ship?

Please list the other options our assistant coaches had including the salaries they were offered.  tia

It's pretty rare for entire staffs to blindly follow a head coach when he leaves. I mean, Underwood, Assaley, and Greenawalt stuck around for Frank when he was an unproven high school coach. Maybe they got offered more money to stay back then, who knows?

Lamont may have had some trouble finding a new full-time assistant job, so I can see him following a lunatic doomed for failure. But Underwood and Figger would have been able to land on their feet without question. The fact that EVERYONE went without even seeing who KSU was going to hire speaks volumes about how the player abuse/mutiny rumor is complete bullshit.
Kinda funny a "great recruiter" like Howard might end up at KSU...either he sucks or he doesn't have many other options...which is really surprising considering all of the better offers our old staff had, yet they passed on them all to follow their hero Mr Martin.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
Kinda funny a "great recruiter" like Howard might end up at KSU...either he sucks or he doesn't have many other options...which is really surprising considering all of the better offers our old staff had, yet they passed on them all to follow their hero Mr Martin.

Did you notice how he didn't come right away? And he still might not come?

Obviously not.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »

You saying Howard hasn't had other options is ridiculous.  The media has reported his options consistently. 

Also, you saying 3 players and none of them being crap players complained to Currie, offering no evidence, then saying you want evidence with our assts is ridiculous.