Author Topic: This site is a cancer to the success of this basketball team !  (Read 5445 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
Re: This site is a cancer to the success of this basketball team !
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
Pretty sure he's not fishing. If he is, then good for him, I'm an idiot and he got me.

no, i'm not. i really am this stupid!

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
Missouri, KU, and Baylor were all in the top ten Frank's final year, and he finished in the top five of the Big XII...with a freshman point guard.

that was arguably the best team in school history. i'm not arguing that k-state is incapable of putting together a solid team. any team in this league, even tcu, is capable of putting a top-10 caliber team on the floor. but to sustain that success...year after year with the desired (demanded?) consistency...it's not happening.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »

Pretty sure he's not fishing. If he is, then good for him, I'm an idiot and he got me.

no, i'm not. i really am this stupid!

You are making good counter points.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 06:55:32 PM »
He also wouldn't have failed before at a similar job.  Weber got a lot more time, likability aside, at Illinois because he had succeeded at SIU immediately prior.  Just needed to get his high major legs.

again, i wonder just how much oscar really failed in the big ten. at least relative to expectations. the big ten he walked into is much different than the big ten he left. when he was coaching at illinois, the big ten was typically the fourth or fifth best league in the country. it was that way throughout his tenure. in his final two years (and the ensuing two years after) the big ten was the toughest conference. no matter what he does, he's not surpassing izzo, bo, beilein or matta. all those coaches are more talented and have better, more established programs. in his final season, the year everything went wrong, he played the 7th, 3rd, 10th, 23rd, 28th, 2nd, 23rd and 7th best teams in a six-week stretch to close the season. things went poorly...but it wasn't unsurprising. he didn't have a top 15 caliber team that can hang with those teams, especially not on the road.

this year, it's the same story. by season's end, k-state...a team that on paper isn't a top 25 team...will have played 11 teams rated 25th or better in big 12 play. they've won four of the seven so far, and with a team that's in apparent disarray. the tcu and texas tech losses...awful...obviously. and again, oscar sucks, he's unlikable, his sideline demeanor is the worst of any coach i've ever seen, etc.

but going forward, k-state...with oscar...with any coach...is not going to be a consistent, every year top-5 team in this league. it just isn't going to happen.

That's just not true at all. I mean, literally, our last coach just did that very thing.

Frank Martin's Big 12 was far easier than the Big 12 of the present and future.

Yep and the North was really really weak.

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »
K-State basketball has accomplished this in the last 8 years

2 NIT's

NCAA Bids

In that stretch we were 8-8 in postseason tournament play. These are types of things we should expect from the Octagon of Doom.  Hopefully we get in the NIT this year but it is not looking good.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
Saw that the other day.

:Yuck:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 12:16:43 AM »
Missouri, KU, and Baylor were all in the top ten Frank's final year, and he finished in the top five of the Big XII...with a freshman point guard.

that was arguably the best team in school history. i'm not arguing that k-state is incapable of putting together a solid team. any team in this league, even tcu, is capable of putting a top-10 caliber team on the floor. but to sustain that success...year after year with the desired (demanded?) consistency...it's not happening.

Frank's final year was not the best team in school history. It was as thin a roster as Frank had put together since he had been here, still got to the tourney and finished in the top half of the league.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »
I miss Frank :(

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
Rake shoulda started a new thread!