Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323409 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3425 on: April 29, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
Thoughts on following program/ nutrition plan w/ regard to goals?

Goals: Maintain as much strength muscle as possible (gains left in DL, possible in other main lifts but bench, squat and OHP have stalled on previous program (https://www.t-nation.com/training/texas-method) while cutting weight/fat and eating at a caloric deficit. I've been lifting pretty regular/hard again since August and have made some pretty good gains in strength and body composition, but am still too fat and have basically maintained weight over this course of time. Made sure to eat tons of protein, but been pretty lazy with observing any caloric restrictions.

Current weight: 250
Current lifts: Squat 365x5, DL 375x5, Bench 290x5, OHP 180x5

Program: Modified 4-day split of Texas Method (Intermediate Progressive Overload)
Volume day = 5x5 at 90% of 5rm
Light day (for Bench and OHP) = 3x5 at 90% of volume day
Alternate Volume/Light for Bench/OHP week to week
Heavy day = 1x5 at +2.5 lbs for Bench, OHP and Power Cleans, +5 lbs for squat, +10 lbs for DL
DL and Powercleans are Heavy only 1 day per week

Example Week:
Mon:
Volume Bench 5x5 260
Accessory: Back Extension 5x10 BW

Tue:
Volume Squat 330 5x5
Powerclean 200 3x5

Thu:
Heavy Bench 292.5 1x5
Light OHP 145 3x5
Accessory: Chinups AMRAPx3

Fri:
Squat 370 1x5
DL 385 1x5

Cardio: I try to do 30 minutes of light to moderate cardio (shooting hoops, Eliptical, playing bball) after every training session. Swimming is also an option.

NUTRITION/day
Calories ~2,750
Protein 250g
Fat 75g
Carbs 265g

Additional background: I'm 37 and while the original Texas Method is a pretty aggressive Intermediate lifting program aimed at younger athletes I was able to progress on it for about 8-9 weeks in all lifts. I'm still progressing at the DL, mostly because I held on to the "only double-overhand grip" mantra for too long. I now use alternating grip. I'm hoping spreading some of the volume around through the week can help with recovery and loosen things up for any remaining minor gains.

Reducing the weight or sets on volume day is also an option should this still prove too much. I'm also debating dropping all my squat weights down a bit to work on form/depth. Who knows?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:59:59 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: April 29, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
How do you get 250 grams of protein a day? Shakes to the face all day? That’s always been my downfall in adding mass.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: April 29, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
How do you get 250 grams of protein a day? Shakes to the face all day? That’s always been my downfall in adding mass.

I may drop that to 200. And I haven’t been keeping track. I’ll prob eat lots of chicken lol.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: April 29, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
Gains in deficit are going to be minor and slow.  Best thing to not lose muscle is maintain a good protein level.  Figure out your lean body mass and hit 0.8-1.0 g per lbs of lean body mass.

To help satiation during cut, reduce carbs, get rid of sugar, get rid of processed food, and eat as much whole-ish foods as possible.  Keeps you feeling satisfied and not hungry longer.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: April 29, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
Gains in deficit are going to be minor and slow.  Best thing to not lose muscle is maintain a good protein level.  Figure out your lean body mass and hit 0.8-1.0 g per lbs of lean body mass.

To help satiation during cut, reduce carbs, get rid of sugar, get rid of processed food, and eat as much whole-ish foods as possible.  Keeps you feeling satisfied and not hungry longer.

Yeah, I’m about to be capped on Intermediate level gains anyway. I’m already stalled on Bench, OHP and now Squat. I prob have 20-30 lbs (3-4 wks) of DL gains left. My goal was to reach the point where linear progression stalls on all lifts before cutting. Just wanting to hold onto as much strength as possible while also turning myself into less of a fatass.

Honestly, the Texas Method is probably a bit aggressive for me at 37, but it is pretty tweak-able. I’ll probably end up using lighter weight on the powerclean and ditching it for or alternating them for Rows.

I’ve decided it’s prob best to stop smoking pot during this cut as well. I have a terrible sweet tooth when I get stoned.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: April 29, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
move powerclean to before squat

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: April 29, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »
and switch to 5/3/1 for set/rep schemes and progressions

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: April 29, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »

Scared to tire my squats.

Former schedule was:

Mon:
Squat 5x5 90% of 5rm
Bench or OHP 5x5 90% of 5rm
DL 1x5 new pr weekly

Wed:
Squat 3x5 90% of Monday weight
Bench or OHP 90% of Monday weight
Chinups
Back Ext

Fri:
Squat 1x5 new pr weekly
Bench or OHP 1x5 new pr weekly
Powerclean: 5x3 new Pr weekly

So, cutting out light squat day, spacing volume days, and likely reduce weight on pwr clean while also reducing rest for more cardio/explosiveness.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:27 PM »
and switch to 5/3/1 for set/rep schemes and progressions

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

That is on the table when returning to eating at a surplus. Tbh, I’ll prob get bored of doing this new thing before I’m done cutting, so I may just start a 5/3/1 before then. Good suggestion.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »
the explosive power movement will prime your CNS and chakras to CRUSH those squats.

but yeah that probably is too many power cleans to put before hand and will tire you out

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 29, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »
the explosive power movement will prime your CNS and chakras to CRUSH those squats.

but yeah that probably is too many power cleans to put before hand and will tire you out

Perhaps @CNS should chime in on this.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 30, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
I don't do powercleans.  My personal rule is to do the most complex lifts first.  Squats, Dl's, Bench, Etc

I also do a crap load of warm up stuff before doing those things.  I do 100 kettle bell swings at 40# before touching any other weights. 

I then will squat bar x 15, 135x4, 225x4, etc until I reach the weight I am working on that day.

I also think you should look into a deload week once you stall, before giving up on gains. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 30, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »
I don't do powercleans.  My personal rule is to do the most complex lifts first.  Squats, Dl's, Bench, Etc

I also do a crap load of warm up stuff before doing those things.  I do 100 kettle bell swings at 40# before touching any other weights. 

I then will squat bar x 15, 135x4, 225x4, etc until I reach the weight I am working on that day.

I also think you should look into a deload week once you stall, before giving up on gains.

Very true on the deloads. As for the gains, I’m sick of being so fat.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: June 09, 2019, 09:28:31 PM »
I know everyone said Apple Watch was a waste of money for fitness, but I bought one today just because and I really like it.  I had it delivered this afternoon and went on a run and dig it.  Should have bought one sooner!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: January 07, 2020, 08:26:02 AM »
doing Whole30 for the month of january. fun little "challenge" to start the new year. so far so good!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: January 07, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
also i started doing the Body Beast workouts on Beachbody and like them. simple weight lifting that i can do in hotels. also our guy Sean Lowe makes an appearance in the Build-Chest&Tris workout.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 07, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
Is that eating 30 whole pizzas in Jan?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: January 07, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
I swam 70 laps yesterday = 2 miles at Genesis in Ridegeview. It's like a super upscale gym, with an Olympic sized pool for swimming laps. Less olds there because of it. I'm also sicker than a dog today, so who knows if it was actually good for me. I'm sure i'll lose some wait on this flu diet now though.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 07, 2020, 09:04:09 AM »
 :'bye cruel world:
Is that eating 30 whole pizzas in Jan?

that will be the Feb. challenge

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: January 07, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

Scared to tire my squats.

Former schedule was:

Mon:
Squat 5x5 90% of 5rm
Bench or OHP 5x5 90% of 5rm
DL 1x5 new pr weekly

Wed:
Squat 3x5 90% of Monday weight
Bench or OHP 90% of Monday weight
Chinups
Back Ext

Fri:
Squat 1x5 new pr weekly
Bench or OHP 1x5 new pr weekly
Powerclean: 5x3 new Pr weekly

So, cutting out light squat day, spacing volume days, and likely reduce weight on pwr clean while also reducing rest for more cardio/explosiveness.

Oh man did this kick my ass. Petered out quickly.

Then I did a 60 day program twice over and took from Halloween to New Year off like the fat bastard I am.

:lol:

Back to the grind!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 09, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »
doing Whole30 for the month of january. fun little "challenge" to start the new year. so far so good!

overall i have no problem with people wanting to eat a cleaner diet, but the entire whole30 thing is weird to me because there isn't really any science behind it. its like
W30: no artificial ingredients!
person: are eggs okay?
W30: yes
person: are bananas okay?
person: so as long as i don't add any other ingredients i can take an egg and a banana and blend them together and make a pancake?
W30: well, no.

Don't get me wrong, 30 days of eating W30 approved foods isn't going to hurt you, but their claims are very exaggerated so i wouldn't get your hopes up that it will reset your digestive system or stop your junk food cravings or allow you to focus better. Its just a weird thing that was thought up by someone who does not have any sort of relevant education or formal training in nutrition who just kinda came up with this idea off the cuff and then made oddly specific rules.

I've tried it a couple of times. One time followed it very strictly to the letter. neither time made much of a difference. didn't really lose any weight, didn't feel that much healthier. Biggest difference was having to run the dishwasher a lot more often. 

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: January 09, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »

overall i have no problem with people wanting to eat a cleaner diet, but the entire whole30 thing is weird to me because there isn't really any science behind it. its like
W30: no artificial ingredients!
person: are eggs okay?
person: are bananas okay?
person: so as long as i don't add any other ingredients i can take an egg and a banana and blend them together and make a pancake?
W30: well, no.

Don't get me wrong, 30 days of eating W30 approved foods isn't going to hurt you, but their claims are very exaggerated so i wouldn't get your hopes up that it will reset your digestive system or stop your junk food cravings or allow you to focus better. Its just a weird thing that was thought up by someone who does not have any sort of relevant education or formal training in nutrition who just kinda came up with this idea off the cuff and then made oddly specific rules.

I've tried it a couple of times. One time followed it very strictly to the letter. neither time made much of a difference. didn't really lose any weight, didn't feel that much healthier. Biggest difference was having to run the dishwasher a lot more often.

i agree with everything you said.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: January 20, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
just curious, anyone else have a bad 2019 (from an overall health and fitness standpoint) and decide to get things back on track in 2020?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: January 21, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
just curious, anyone else have a bad 2019 (from an overall health and fitness standpoint) and decide to get things back on track in 2020?

Yep.  Work has been an all consuming montherfucker

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: March 17, 2020, 02:58:02 PM »
I had to go running for the first time in like a year today, because I don't know what to do without being able to swim laps. I was really kicking ass at it and lost a crap ton of weight doing it. Anyways, I got 4 miles in today and I felt really old doing it. What are you guys doing to stay fit or are some of you just taking 15 days off?