Author Topic: felix rex moves to Cairo  (Read 260199 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #650 on: December 06, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
So, why is there pro-Morsi protesters? Are they getting paid or gov't employees or what?

The MB has spent 70 years establishing loyalty during oppression by filling in social service gaps left by a corrupt and inefficient government. They've done this while speaking the language of a fervently religious demographic (remember, Saudis may have supplied the money, but it was imprisoned Egyptian intellectuals like Qutb and Zawahiri who provided much of the theoretical framework for 20th century fundamentalism) and while gaining renown for taking up arms against the newly birfed Israeli state even when their government would not.

Consequently, they have fiercely loyal supporters who have waited decades for their opportunity to emerge from the shadows and govern. That's what makes these clashes so much more unsettling. These aren't young military types holding their ground for a paycheck. These are men, women, and children of all ages willing to kill and die for their beliefs and scared that they may be pushed back into the margins. It was surreal to see two groups of people who once fought the police together now being separated by them.

Some Morsi supporters want Shariah, others are just outraged at the perceived insults to their leader. And the MB officials are fanning these flames with a rhetoric chillingly reminiscent of the Castro/Chavez regimes, vilifying opposition protesters as "paid thugs" and "counter-revolutionaries" (the worrisome part for me, personally, is that both sides have conspiracy theories involving US support for the other; the liberals/secularists/Copts believe Morsi struck a "secret deal" with Obama and the SCAF to allow them power in exchange for supporting Israel and not pursuing criminal prosecutions for events during the revolution and the MB believe the US is paying thugs to destabilize the Morsi administration).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #651 on: December 06, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
Egypt really needs a huge shot of political apathy.  No country is truly free until the citizens just don't give a eff enough to even vote.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #652 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
Egypt really needs a huge shot of political apathy.  No country is truly free until the citizens just don't give a eff enough to even vote.

I think our apathy is largely born of complacency. Egyptians just can't take anything for granted.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »
They need to hold a simple test person to person.  If the politician is worth killing in the street over, that politician is disqualified from running/serving.  Run this test until you get two options that no one likes, but everyone would be able to go on with daily life if either was put into power.

Only then will they ever be free.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
So, why is there pro-Morsi protesters? Are they getting paid or gov't employees or what?

The MB has spent 70 years establishing loyalty during oppression by filling in social service gaps left by a corrupt and inefficient government. They've done this while speaking the language of a fervently religious demographic (remember, Saudis may have supplied the money, but it was imprisoned Egyptian intellectuals like Qutb and Zawahiri who provided much of the theoretical framework for 20th century fundamentalism) and while gaining renown for taking up arms against the newly birfed Israeli state even when their government would not.

Consequently, they have fiercely loyal supporters who have waited decades for their opportunity to emerge from the shadows and govern. That's what makes these clashes so much more unsettling. These aren't young military types holding their ground for a paycheck. These are men, women, and children of all ages willing to kill and die for their beliefs and scared that they may be pushed back into the margins. It was surreal to see two groups of people who once fought the police together now being separated by them.

Some Morsi supporters want Shariah, others are just outraged at the perceived insults to their leader. And the MB officials are fanning these flames with a rhetoric chillingly reminiscent of the Castro/Chavez regimes, vilifying opposition protesters as "paid thugs" and "counter-revolutionaries" (the worrisome part for me, personally, is that both sides have conspiracy theories involving US support for the other; the liberals/secularists/Copts believe Morsi struck a "secret deal" with Obama and the SCAF to allow them power in exchange for supporting Israel and not pursuing criminal prosecutions for events during the revolution and the MB believe the US is paying thugs to destabilize the Morsi administration).

Thanks for the reply. That's really interesting. Is there a younger generation that is a part of this mess? One that may be more connected to the rest of the world and not so connected to current or past political regimes? Kind of like what we saw in Iran during the last elections?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply. That's really interesting. Is there a younger generation that is a part of this mess? One that may be more connected to the rest of the world and not so connected to current or past political regimes? Kind of like what we saw in Iran during the last elections?

Absolutely. There the ones that are clashing with the MB. Still a lot of religious types in that demo, but more modern. More secular/liberal. Kind of encouraging. Very engaged and frequently very well educated. But also, ultras.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #656 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
True story: Morsi just blamed the opposition for traffic problems in Cairo. That. Just. Happened.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 06, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Go for broke Morsi!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 06, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
True story: Morsi just blamed the opposition for traffic problems in Cairo. That. Just. Happened.

Rioting causes some bad traffic jams I would think.  No?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
So, how overtly are we (the United States) backing this new would-be dictator?  Seems like he's going to be a straight up dictator, am I reading that right?

BTW (insomniac note): This perceived US-MB alliance is a huge concern for us right now. It's gonna be a problem. Expect "clarifying" statements soon.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #660 on: December 07, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
Clarifying statement: I meant from actual important people, not me.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #661 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Anybody like mountain biking? I could take a few more pics the next time I'm out. It's pretty savage here. But beautiful views  although the Saturday morning garbage fires are a little bit of a wet blanket.

yes please. this is your thread, everything you post is interesting.

If I can wake up in 4 hours, I'm going on a ride. I'll take some terrible pics of beautiful things, including the view of Cairo from the outlying hills.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 07, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
So, how overtly are we (the United States) backing this new would-be dictator?  Seems like he's going to be a straight up dictator, am I reading that right?

BTW (insomniac note): This perceived US-MB alliance is a huge concern for us right now. It's gonna be a problem. Expect "clarifying" statements soon.

What do you mean "us"?

My boab says all clear on the Plaza

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 07, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
My boab is totally pro tearing crap up. Also, coincidentally, he is anti-oscar and hates bills recruiting class.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
My boab is pretty butthurt about Manziel

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
Post more, Felix. Reading this thread is making me look worldly with my co-workers.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
How are the Copts and the other Christian sects holding up?

Love me some Coptic Christians!
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 07, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
mummys

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
My boab moved to boabo to grow baobab trees with brucie

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
tonight's episode of Independent Lens 9:00, pbs

On the outskirts of Cairo lies the world's largest garbage village. A labyrinth of narrow roadways camouflaged by trash, the village is home to 60,000 Zaballeen — Arabic for "garbage people." The Zaballeen have survived for centuries by recycling Cairo's waste. Members of Egypt's minority Coptic Christian community, these entrepreneurial garbage workers recycle nearly all the trash they collect, maintaining what could be the world’s most efficient waste disposal system.

Filmed over four years, GARBAGE DREAMS follows three teenage boys born into the Zaballeen's trash trade: 17-year-old Adham, 16-year-old Osama, and 18-year-old Nabil. Laila, a community activist who also teaches the boys at their neighborhood Recycling School, guides the boys as they transition into adulthood at a time when the Zaballeen community is at a crossroads.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #670 on: December 10, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »

A labyrinth of narrow roadways camouflaged by trash

That pretty much describes all of Cairo.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »
So what did morsi just do? Give back all the power he just grabbed?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

On the outskirts of Cairo lies the world's largest garbage village. A labyrinth of narrow roadways camouflaged by trash, the village is home to 60,000 Zaballeen — Arabic for "garbage people." The Zaballeen have survived for centuries by recycling Cairo's waste. Members of Egypt's minority Coptic Christian community, these entrepreneurial garbage workers recycle nearly all the trash they collect, maintaining what could be the world’s most efficient waste disposal system.

Filmed over four years, GARBAGE DREAMS follows three teenage boys born into the Zaballeen's trash trade: 17-year-old Adham, 16-year-old Osama, and 18-year-old Nabil. Laila, a community activist who also teaches the boys at their neighborhood Recycling School, guides the boys as they transition into adulthood at a time when the Zaballeen community is at a crossroads.

I saw a special on some garbage town outside of a Chinese city, they said it was the biggest in the world. :(

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #673 on: December 13, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
This is probably a failed attempt to post a pic of the wadi.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 13, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
I don't see any pyramids.  What the hell is going on here?