Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 107309 times)

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
rent

I have move 100% into this camp recently. Stay mobile.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
Don't look at houses you can't afford....it makes houses you can afford seem shitty

Yeah. This is probably not true for you, but will definitely be true for your wife. Really, you want to exclude her from this process as much as possible.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
what someone else said about fixer uppers, I bought one and I hate doing all that crap and have ended up paying people to do most of it.

ok, but going in assuming you will pay people, do you generally come out ahead w. the fixer upper, building from nothing or buying a house in good condition that is halfway in the realm of what you like in terms of finish materials/layout?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
what someone else said about fixer uppers, I bought one and I hate doing all that crap and have ended up paying people to do most of it.

ok, but going in assuming you will pay people, do you generally come out ahead w. the fixer upper, building from nothing or buying a house in good condition that is halfway in the realm of what you like in terms of finish materials/layout?

It's more expensive to buy something that's already had work done, but with good reason.  Most people are willing to pay more because they know that having the work done yourself is a major pain in the ass.  And it's not simply a case of people being stupid or lazy.  It truly is a big headache.  Plus, if you have the work done yourself and don't know what you're doing, you very well might end up spending close to what it would cost if you'd bought something that had already had the work done.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Oh, and my only advice about mortgages is to pay extra toward the principal every month.  $25/month can take five years off a loan.  That's awesome in itself, but it also negates concerns about getting the best possible interest rate because you won't end up paying all of the interest anyway.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
property virgins >>>>>>> house hunters

i disagree.  there's only so much rinomato i can handle.  now, has house hunters changed for the worse since suzanne whang left?  some may argue that yes, it has. i'm not so sure i agree and actually feel it's better than ever.  if given the opportunity, rinomato will drag you through every square inch of toronto while the post-whang house hunters spends more time in the united states.    who knows, tough call.

without rinomoto's financial guidance, what brand of lube do you recommend for tortuga's bad person?  maybe house hunters should produce their very own house hunters brand lube for assholes.  maybe sandra rimomoto can be the spokeswoman.  whang can't do it because she became too chicken crap to show her face on camera once rinomoto came on the scene.

rinomato doesn't give two shits about tortuga and will do everything she can to screw him in the deal. anyone that trusts that canadian with money deserves the crap they find themselves in.    no one even gives two shits about rinomato in toronto.  i've talked to a ton of people who think she's crap and she screwed her own people by stealing money from them when she was coming up.  not a big shocker there, the lady is a steaming pile of crap.   why would you send someone into a house without touring the piece of crap with them?  is this how brokers do  crap in the new real estate market?  hey here's a house go look at it and when you're done come find me and we'll talk about the crap and then put in a bid on the home.  ya right, great customer service sandy, great crap job.  tortuga could bust out his home search in probably 6 episodes of hunters as opposed to 18 episodes of virgins.

well, well, well.  looks like hh might just not be the innocent little show that they want you to think it is.  just what the hell is going on over at house hunters?

.“They have apparently hired someone to do the voiceovers— who fans of mine are claiming is some woman who is trying to sound like me“

http://blog.blogtalkradio.com/celebrities/house-hunters-host-suzanne-whang-hgtv-fans-beg-differ-dispensable/

no crap whangs off house hunters, what is this, HGTV amateur hour? 2007 called, it wants its factoid back. and if you're wanting to know whats going on at house hunters, let me tell you then.  season 14, episode 332, that's what's up. virgins is hanging on at only 6 seasons.  that's pud.

rinomato just loves making the guests feel like crap at the beginning of virgins when she asks them how much they're going to spend, and then asks them how much the houses cost in the neighborhood they're walking in and the houses are always way out of the people's price range and she tells them to adjust their expectations.  and then calls them virgins.   good luck with season 7.  not.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
My dad has bought about 75 fixer uppers, and used to always make me help before I moved out.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »

location has a lot to do with it, there will be a ceiling on what any house is worth if it is not in a very desirable neighborhood

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Special thanks to clams and chum for making this thread enjoyable.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

location has a lot to do with it, there will be a ceiling on what any house is worth if it is not in a very desirable neighborhood

is there a rule of thumb on what the lot has to be worth to make building or upgrading cost effective?  assuming the cost of materials and labor is relatively constant across locations.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
pro-tip > build

this
yeah tortuga build in downtown mhk. lmao great advice as usual steve dave

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

i disagree.  there's only so much rinomato i can handle.  now, has house hunters changed for the worse since suzanne whang left?  some may argue that yes, it has. i'm not so sure i agree and actually feel it's better than ever.  if given the opportunity, rinomato will drag you through every square inch of toronto while the post-whang house hunters spends more time in the united states.    who knows, tough call.

without rinomoto's financial guidance, what brand of lube do you recommend for tortuga's bad person?  maybe house hunters should produce their very own house hunters brand lube for assholes.  maybe sandra rimomoto can be the spokeswoman.  whang can't do it because she became too chicken crap to show her face on camera once rinomoto came on the scene.

rinomato doesn't give two shits about tortuga and will do everything she can to screw him in the deal. anyone that trusts that canadian with money deserves the crap they find themselves in.    no one even gives two shits about rinomato in toronto.  i've talked to a ton of people who think she's crap and she screwed her own people by stealing money from them when she was coming up.  not a big shocker there, the lady is a steaming pile of crap.   why would you send someone into a house without touring the piece of crap with them?  is this how brokers do  crap in the new real estate market?  hey here's a house go look at it and when you're done come find me and we'll talk about the crap and then put in a bid on the home.  ya right, great customer service sandy, great crap job.  tortuga could bust out his home search in probably 6 episodes of hunters as opposed to 18 episodes of virgins.

well, well, well.  looks like hh might just not be the innocent little show that they want you to think it is.  just what the hell is going on over at house hunters?

.“They have apparently hired someone to do the voiceovers— who fans of mine are claiming is some woman who is trying to sound like me“

http://blog.blogtalkradio.com/celebrities/house-hunters-host-suzanne-whang-hgtv-fans-beg-differ-dispensable/

no crap whangs off house hunters, what is this, HGTV amateur hour? 2007 called, it wants its factoid back. and if you're wanting to know whats going on at house hunters, let me tell you then.  season 14, episode 332, that's what's up. virgins is hanging on at only 6 seasons.  that's pud.

rinomato just loves making the guests feel like crap at the beginning of virgins when she asks them how much they're going to spend, and then asks them how much the houses cost in the neighborhood they're walking in and the houses are always way out of the people's price range and she tells them to adjust their expectations.  and then calls them virgins.   good luck with season 7.  not.

Would you like to hear our special for today?  Because here it is.  You endorsed Suzanne Whang.  Suzanne Whang endorses that House Hunters is rough ridin' crap awful.  So, which is it?  Is House Hunters crap rough ridin' awful or is Suzanne Whang crap rough ridin' awful.  Because if Suzanne Whang is rough ridin' crap awful, then House Hunters is crap rough ridin' awful because she's the crap rough ridin' host.  So, is House Hunters crap rough ridin' awful or rough ridin' crap awful?  You tell me.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
any time you can remove authority from above yourself, you should.

wake up to your police state, america.

Virginia Tech says "You're welcome"

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Do not go with the inspection company your realtor suggests.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »

i disagree.  there's only so much rinomato i can handle.  now, has house hunters changed for the worse since suzanne whang left?  some may argue that yes, it has. i'm not so sure i agree and actually feel it's better than ever.  if given the opportunity, rinomato will drag you through every square inch of toronto while the post-whang house hunters spends more time in the united states.    who knows, tough call.

without rinomoto's financial guidance, what brand of lube do you recommend for tortuga's bad person?  maybe house hunters should produce their very own house hunters brand lube for assholes.  maybe sandra rimomoto can be the spokeswoman.  whang can't do it because she became too chicken crap to show her face on camera once rinomoto came on the scene.

rinomato doesn't give two shits about tortuga and will do everything she can to screw him in the deal. anyone that trusts that canadian with money deserves the crap they find themselves in.    no one even gives two shits about rinomato in toronto.  i've talked to a ton of people who think she's crap and she screwed her own people by stealing money from them when she was coming up.  not a big shocker there, the lady is a steaming pile of crap.   why would you send someone into a house without touring the piece of crap with them?  is this how brokers do  crap in the new real estate market?  hey here's a house go look at it and when you're done come find me and we'll talk about the crap and then put in a bid on the home.  ya right, great customer service sandy, great crap job.  tortuga could bust out his home search in probably 6 episodes of hunters as opposed to 18 episodes of virgins.

well, well, well.  looks like hh might just not be the innocent little show that they want you to think it is.  just what the hell is going on over at house hunters?

no crap whangs off house hunters, what is this, HGTV amateur hour? 2007 called, it wants its factoid back. and if you're wanting to know whats going on at house hunters, let me tell you then.  season 14, episode 332, that's what's up. virgins is hanging on at only 6 seasons.  that's pud.

rinomato just loves making the guests feel like crap at the beginning of virgins when she asks them how much they're going to spend, and then asks them how much the houses cost in the neighborhood they're walking in and the houses are always way out of the people's price range and she tells them to adjust their expectations.  and then calls them virgins.   good luck with season 7.  not.

Would you like to hear our special for today?  Because here it is.  You endorsed Suzanne Whang.  Suzanne Whang endorses that House Hunters is rough ridin' crap awful.  So, which is it?  Is House Hunters crap rough ridin' awful or is Suzanne Whang crap rough ridin' awful.  Because if Suzanne Whang is rough ridin' crap awful, then House Hunters is crap rough ridin' awful because she's the crap rough ridin' host.  So, is House Hunters crap rough ridin' awful or rough ridin' crap awful?  You tell me.

whang doesn't really think that hunters is crap.  hunters made whang's career, do you really think she's going to talk smack on hunters when virgins is over there sucking off of hunter's teet?  no.  she's going to throw the smack at virgins, just like everyone else does.  whang will be back on top soon enough and when she is i promise you this that she's going to rain holy hell down on sandra rinomato's parade of clowns.  believe me when i say that when whang is done ravaging toronto's soul, there won't be a single reminder that rinomato once ran its streets.  then, maybe after a few years of sandy rinomato living in crap assed isolation, maybe whang lets the Rhino show her crap face in public again.  but that's entirely up to whang and how she wants to handle things with rinomato's crap crew.  i really pity anyone who watches virgins and puts their trust in rinomato.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
Just bought 2 months ago myself.   Mrs. WildcatNkilt and I are going to make it a DIY project.  Just refinished the basement and one of the bedrooms.  Have 2-1/2 bathrooms to remodel, new flooring, and kitchen in our plans for the next year.  

Also lots of kids in the neighborhood.  The other night a few kids came by asking if they could walk our dogs for money.  I told them no cause my big dog would eat them but I'm proud of their work ethic.  Neighbors next door and across the street are Cat fans.    :emawkid:

Good luck with the house hunting.  Can be fun and stressful all at the same time.   :thumbs:

Oh, and my advice is to do inspections the old fashioned way.  (Plumber, Electrician, etc).  That way if something is wrong they can give you a quote at the same time for what it would cost, and you can submit the quotes with the list of things you want fixed before going to closing.  Saves money in the long run, and usually more efficient than an inspection person who checks it all.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:43:55 PM by WildcatNkilt »
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »
Just bought 2 months ago myself.   Mrs. WildcatNkilt and I are going to make it a DIY project.  Just refinished the basement and one of the bedrooms.  Have 2-1/2 bathrooms to remodel, new flooring, and kitchen in our plans for the next year. 

Also lots of kids in the neighborhood.  The other night a few kids came by asking if they could walk our dogs for money.  I told them no cause my big dog would eat them but I'm proud of their work ethic.  Neighbors next door and across the street are Cat fans.    :emawkid:

Good luck with the house hunting.  Can be fun and stressful all at the same time.   :thumbs:

Oh, and my advice is to do inspections the old fashioned way.  (Plumber, Electrician, etc).  That way if something is wrong they can give you a quote at the same time for what it would cost, and you can submit the quotes with the list of things you want fixed before going to closing.  Saves money in the long run, and usually more efficient than an inspection person who checks it all.

I've finished 2 bathrooms and half of a basement. Kitchen and the rest of the basement is up next. Fun times.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »
I had a house built. Nothing needs fixed. Nothing needs maintained because its all efficient new stuff.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:08 AM »
Go shopping for a home like the people on HGTV.

"Hey honey, we're about to make one of the biggest purchases of our lives, should we get online and see what houses are available in our price range?"

"Nah, I'm sure the complete stranger of a realtor will be able to find us the perfect house out of her listings based on a 10-minute conversation beforehand"

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
Go shopping for a home like the people on HGTV.

"Hey honey, we're about to make one of the biggest purchases of our lives, should we get online and see what houses are available in our price range?"

"Nah, I'm sure the complete stranger of a realtor will be able to find us the perfect house out of her listings based on a 10-minute conversation beforehand"

h.
g.
t.
v.

n
o
o
b

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
OMG LMAO

They've already bought the house (at least on House Hunters).  The show is filmed when they are in escrow, they've already bought one of the three houses and just see two others for purposes of the show.  That's why they usually "pick" the house that is empty

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/14001023.aspx

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
OMG LMAO

They've already bought the house (at least on House Hunters).  The show is filmed when they are in escrow, they've already bought one of the three houses and just see two others for purposes of the show.  That's why they usually "pick" the house that is empty

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/14001023.aspx
Man, I despise that show. Hopefully this little nugget will sour my wifes opinion of the show as well.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
on Extreme Makeover Home Edition the people from the show aren't even at the location and have nothing to do with the design or actually building it.  They show up at the beginning and the last day to film some crap.  Local contractors just plow through the remodel and get no camera time.