Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 108709 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
You need to crap in every stool in the residence before signing an offer sheet.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
you know how there's an extra charge for floor mats when you buy a new car?  same goes for new houses.  you want a driveway?  that's extra.  deck in the back so that your back door doesn't have a three foot drop into your yard?  extra.  other than stuff like that, though, prices can be comparable.

Every builder has different allowances for you to spend on various parts of the house (flooring, appliances, fistures, etc.) that is built into the price.  When you go over the allowance figure you are OOP.

I had a buddy who had to pay extra for vinyl flooring in the bathrooms, otherwise it would have been carpet.  Can't imagine how much extra he would have had to play to have the contractor put in tile.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
House Hunters International:

English country fixer:  These stone walls are fantastic, and it would be very easy to build a roof on top of them.

French country fixer:  And if you were wondering, the pile of bricks in the middle of the living room does come with the house.

Australia:  One of the highlights of this house is all of the flat surfaces to stack your empties.  Plus, you can jump into the pool from the roof. 

Belgium:  The living room has these round windows that are weird as crap, so that's a plus.

Turkey:  There's a crazy guy who lives in this shack right outside the bedroom window, but you'll never even notice that he's there.

Malaysia:  Yes, it is very common here for hissing cockroaches to nest in mattresses.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »
you know how there's an extra charge for floor mats when you buy a new car?  same goes for new houses.  you want a driveway?  that's extra.  deck in the back so that your back door doesn't have a three foot drop into your yard?  extra.  other than stuff like that, though, prices can be comparable.

Every builder has different allowances for you to spend on various parts of the house (flooring, appliances, fistures, etc.) that is built into the price.  When you go over the allowance figure you are OOP.

wait, so this isn't like you decide what you want your house to look like and then they build it on the land you already own?  this is like they're building 200 houses and they'll sell you one on a lot they own and you tell them what kind of tile to put in when they do it?

no, you buy a lot you want a house on.  you hire a builder to build the house there.  you choose a house model that you want them to build.  most of them will have a list of house kinds that they specialize in or whatever but you can pick out whatever kind of house you want.  they quote you the price which will include the figures for the allowances on the crap inside, roof, brick, flooring, etc.  you can then go pick out the specifics on that stuff and if you pick out better stuff than they quoted you pay the difference.  

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
no, you buy a lot you want a house on.  you hire a builder to build the house there.  you choose a house model that you want them to build.  most of them will have a list house blueprints of house kinds that they specialize in or whatever but you can pick out whatever kind of house you want.  they quote you the price which will include the figures for the allowances on the crap inside, roof, brick, flooring, etc.  you can then go pick out the specifics on that stuff and if you pick out better stuff than they quoted you pay the difference. 

that sounds like a good deal.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
If you're Interested in moving to dc, let me know. Daris can vouch for the place. Great bones.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
Do not get a house with a pool, unless you're a swimmer. 

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
Don't look at houses you can't afford....it makes houses you can afford seem shitty
Yeah. This is probably not true for you, but will definitely be true for your wife. Really, you want to exclude her from this process as much as possible.
This x eleventy billion.  My girlfriend, who lives with me, was "helping" me when I was looking for a house.  I knew my price range and told her so of course, every house she found and suggested was at the upper limit of my range.  Either that, or it was a shittty fixer upper project.  Now, I definitely have the skills to do my own work.  Unfortunately, my job schedule does not allow me the time to do my own projects so I wanted a house that was move in ready.  It took me a year and half but I finally found exactly what I was looking for and I got a great deal on it as well.  

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
Get a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30 year mortgage. http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/15-year-30-year-mortgage-calculator.aspx
Why not just get a 30y and put extra cash towards the principle each month?
Nobody ever follows through in doing that.

That is exactly what I'm doing.  I put enough extra towards the principle each month that I end up making an extra payment and a half per year.  The trick is to do an auto pay with instructions that the extra dollars go towards principle, not your escrow account..  If you're writing a check every month, you may be tempted to only make the required payment thinking you will catch up later.  It will never happen.  You also don't ever have to worry about being late.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Get a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30 year mortgage. http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/15-year-30-year-mortgage-calculator.aspx
Why not just get a 30y and put extra cash towards the principle each month?
Nobody ever follows through in doing that.

That is exactly what I'm doing.  I put enough extra towards the principle each month that I end up making an extra payment and a half per year.  The trick is to do an auto pay with instructions that the extra dollars go towards principle, not your escrow account..  If you're writing a check every month, you may be tempted to only make the required payment thinking you will catch up later.  It will never happen.  You also don't ever have to worry about being late.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
sounds like you've got the world by it's tail there, schreds.  good luck to you and your little filly.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
southern spain:  i just turned 45, so i am retiring from my job as a street artist in glasgow and am looking for a nice vacation home with an ocean view.  my budget is $500,000.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »
southern spain:  i just turned 45, so i am retiring from my job as a street artist in glasgow and am looking for a nice vacation home with an ocean view.  my budget is $500,000.

sounds like property brothers is more your speed.  :lol:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
Building is great, but existing homes are a much better value. especially if you buy a fixer-upper or foreclosure. Home improvement is CHEAP right now in this shitty economy.

Don't ever get suckered into a "bidding war." Most of these are bullshit concocted by the seller's agent.

Realtors are basically the scum of the earth, but it's pretty hard to avoid dealing with them.

When it comes to financing:
-  Put 20% down, or get there fast. If you can't get to 20% within a year, you shouldn't be buying.
-  Strongly consider a 15-year fixed. It may add a couple hundred to your monthly payment, but it will double the amount of each payment that goes to principal.
-  If you can't afford a 15-year, consider a 7-year ARM. It is extremely unlikely you'll live in your first home for more than 5 years.
Do not buy points.
Do consider paying a slightly higher APR in exchange for a "lender credit." Estimate the number of years you'll probably live there and do the math.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
no, you buy a lot you want a house on.  you hire a builder to build the house there.  you choose a house model that you want them to build.  most of them will have a list house blueprints of house kinds that they specialize in or whatever but you can pick out whatever kind of house you want.  they quote you the price which will include the figures for the allowances on the crap inside, roof, brick, flooring, etc.  you can then go pick out the specifics on that stuff and if you pick out better stuff than they quoted you pay the difference. 

that sounds like a good deal.

Ha ha yeah lots of  :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: when they send you to the light store, furnishing store etc.  had not put much thought into what color of grout to put in between the tiles in the bathroom.  Beats being completely unhappy with the previous owners crappy taste though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
i would never live in a home that someone else already lived in.  disgusting.  imagine all of their skin flakes and scabs, etc, that are ground into the carpet and crap.  gross. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
i would never live in a home that someone else already lived in.  disgusting.  imagine all of their skin flakes and scabs, etc, that are ground into the carpet and crap.  gross. 

No kidding. I guess I could just replace all the carpets, floors, and cabinets, but that sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

No kidding. I guess I could just replace all the carpets, floors, and cabinets, but that sounds like a real pain in the ass.

thing is, their scummyness prob worked its way into the foundation, etc

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »

sounds like property brothers is more your speed.  :lol:

Oh man, clams just rejected your first offer without countering!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
ya sure did, also, $500k in Southern Spain???  hmm, might have to readjust your expectations :lol: 

wtf?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
if you can borrow at 4% it would seem like you'd want to take as long as possible to pay that off.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
One would think.  One of the emawccountants could probably explain why that's not the case.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
if you're comparing interest rates between all of your loans, then you might not want to pay anything off early because you'd prefer to use that extra cash for paying interest on your next loan.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
ya sure did, also, $500k in Southern Spain???  hmm, might have to readjust your expectations :lol: 

wtf?

Exactly.  500K in Southern Spain right now?  Hahaha, good luck with that!

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2011, 08:16:17 AM »
looks like i know more about hhi than its strongest proponents.  could this place be any more like the phog?  sheesh.