Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 109199 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1400 on: May 05, 2023, 02:05:44 PM »
Appliances: any brands everyone recommends or brands to absolutely avoid?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bosch dishwasher and fridge. They have the most affordable fridges that come with dual compressors. They recently started manufacturing them themselves and the quality has shown.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 05, 2023, 02:44:59 PM »

Bosch dishwasher and fridge. They have the most affordable fridges that come with dual compressors. They recently started manufacturing them themselves and the quality has shown.

Heads up on Bosch fridges.  Not all of them are made to fit under those little cabinet stupid things that builders have been putting in houses forever.  We nearly found out th hard way on this.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 05, 2023, 03:16:56 PM »

Heads up on Bosch fridges.  Not all of them are made to fit under those little cabinet stupid things that builders have been putting in houses forever.  We nearly found out th hard way on this.

Great call. I had to get a 1/2 inch cut off but only knew because a sales guy alerted us beforehand.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 05, 2023, 07:16:54 PM »
I called a couple appliance repair places today. They said no GE, LG or Samsung. Recommend KitchenAid and Frigidaire. Wife wants a fancy built in fridge. They are $$$. Looked at Thor and ZLine for value.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 05, 2023, 09:58:54 PM »
I called a couple appliance repair places today. They said no GE, LG or Samsung. Recommend KitchenAid and Frigidaire. Wife wants a fancy built in fridge. They are $$$. Looked at Thor and ZLine for value.

KitchenAid fridges are terrible, esp when it comes to ice makers.  The reviews on them are legit.  I have had 2 LG refrigerators now (2 different homes) and they have had no issues.  Newest one makes clear ice balls in the bottom freezer and it rocks!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 05, 2023, 10:47:00 PM »
Love love love my LG washtower, or really any LG washer/dryer. GE is good on ovens/stoves, fridges (both for work up in Canada and my house in KC use the same and both are great), etc, but the 'rents went from a lg wash/dryer to LG (after a respectable life of over a decade) and regret how loud GE is.

Have a Bosch dishwasher that is boss, close to the same model my parents have and they and I love it.

IMO, I think Bosch, LG, GE, and Whirlpool made great appliances but they all don't made all their appliances great. I am not so brand loyal with any one of them to buy all one type, but IMO:

Laundry : LG
Oven/Stove: GE
Fridge: Whirlpool/GE
Dishwasher: Whirlpool/Bosch
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 06, 2023, 10:03:04 AM »

KitchenAid fridges are terrible, esp when it comes to ice makers.  The reviews on them are legit.  I have had 2 LG refrigerators now (2 different homes) and they have had no issues.  Newest one makes clear ice balls in the bottom freezer and it rocks!

I am on fridge 3 in 9 years. Samsung twice and now GE. The GE is 2 yrs old, or so, and the ice maker already doesn’t work. We went back to ice cube trays. I have a garage fridge and I bought enough ice trays so that my kids could not refill the trays and we could still fill the ice container 3 times. It’s been great. Also, the larger ice cubes are great.

Also, not an appliance, but we just put in a Kohler kitchen faucet. Right off the bat, the aerator needs to be taken out to remove something causing the spray to go everywhere. $230 faucet and guess what?  The aerators aren’t designed to be removed. Just need to replace the whole thing. Customer Service chat directly with Kohler and that is their response. Everything is getting so cheaply made and so much worse.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 06, 2023, 11:00:46 AM »

I am on fridge 3 in 9 years. Samsung twice and now GE. The GE is 2 yrs old, or so, and the ice maker already doesn’t work. We went back to ice cube trays. I have a garage fridge and I bought enough ice trays so that my kids could not refill the trays and we could still fill the ice container 3 times. It’s been great. Also, the larger ice cubes are great.

Also, not an appliance, but we just put in a Kohler kitchen faucet. Right off the bat, the aerator needs to be taken out to remove something causing the spray to go everywhere. $230 faucet and guess what?  The aerators aren’t designed to be removed. Just need to replace the whole thing. Customer Service chat directly with Kohler and that is their response. Everything is getting so cheaply made and so much worse.

Kinda sounds like your water sucks :dunno:

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 06, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »
We have Samsung in current house. Bought 5 year warranty. Ice maker had service 4 times in that time. Now it just doesn't work. They are in the fridge part and aren't sealed so it sucks in warm air and freezes up. My model wasn't part of class action suit. Our Bosch dishwasher is ok. The bottom rack bent out of shape and doesn't slide in and out. It doesn't dry at all.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 07, 2023, 07:04:16 AM »
We have the same appliances we had when we built our house in like 2017 and all have worked perfect with no issues. GE Cafe fridge, Electrolux bev center x 2, Monogram duel fuel range, Monogram dishwasher, whirlpool washer and dryer. I didn’t put that much thought into any of them but from reading this thread we apparently got pretty lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 20, 2023, 01:59:30 PM »
Does anyone have, or know someone with a hidden front patio? They’re usually in higher-end modern ranches, kind of tucked behind the garage area.

I’ve come across a few recently and they seem like a pretty cool thing to have in a home.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 20, 2023, 02:11:28 PM »
if a patio is behind a garage how is it a front patio

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 20, 2023, 02:13:07 PM »
do you mean like it has a courtyard wall and the patio is behind that? Kind of prevents you from seeing the front door of the home until you enter?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 20, 2023, 02:16:56 PM »
It’s typically just to the side of the front entrance. Usually has double glass doors
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 20, 2023, 03:30:27 PM »
what are you talking about, nicname   :confused:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 20, 2023, 03:47:28 PM »
sounds like a fancy storm cellar?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 20, 2023, 03:54:34 PM »
Maybe he’s talking about a front deck
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 20, 2023, 03:57:29 PM »
The area I’m talking about is like a little space with a couple of chairs and maybe a patio sofa, sometimes w a tv on a wall and or a fire/pit or fireplace. Like an extended front porch but you can’t see it from the road. They are usually right by the front entrance and have another entrance, usually double glass doors to the patio or whatever it’s called.

Usually on modern ranch style home found in newer subdivisions. Obv not too common. Only seen a few.

If I remember I will snap a photo of one

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 20, 2023, 04:03:42 PM »
This doesn’t sound real
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1419 on: July 20, 2023, 04:03:50 PM »
The hidden front porch. Most of us just put that in the backyard.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 20, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »
i am so mad at nicname rn

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 20, 2023, 04:12:53 PM »
lmao what is happening here.  Mods?!?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 20, 2023, 04:12:59 PM »
We need a diagram, nicname

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 20, 2023, 04:29:20 PM »
We need a diagram, nicname

Seconded. Also echo mocat's frustrations.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 20, 2023, 04:35:42 PM »
I wouldn't recommend googling hidden front porch
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best