Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 248473 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1351 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1352 on: July 14, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
You guys think the NCAA will hit them hard?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
do you guys think sandusky's connection to the second mile might have something to do with this?

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
I think the kids were part of the second mile, not sure how sandusky is connected.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
There is increasing national pressure on the NCAA to impose the "death penalty"

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162972/joe-paterno-true-legacy
I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19577427/penn-state-needs-death-penalty-to-move-on
I wasn't in this camp, nor anywhere close to it. What happened at Penn State was an issue for the law, not bylaws I thought. If the school was going to get punished it would do so by judges and a jury of their peers and not the arbitrary justice system the NCAA leans on with the Committee on Infractions.

But then I read the 267-page Freeh Report that came out on Thursday morning, listened to Louis Freeh himself during his press conference and waited to hear what the Penn State Board of Trustees and the Paterno Family had to say.

And I kept coming to the conclusion that Penn State should be given the death penalty.

http://triblive.com/sports/2194460-74/paterno-football-freeh-penalty-death-ncaa-penn-state-kovacevic-child
In light of the Louis Freeh investigation report that dropped like an anvil Thursday morning, the NCAA no longer has a choice but to aggressively pursue the so-called death penalty for Penn State football.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48126484/ns/sports-college_football/
Since it has been determined that Penn State knew a lot more than it let on — including possible involvement by its late football coach in keeping silent about Sandusky’s actions — then the NCAA should prepare to hand down its death penalty to a Division I football program for only the second time in its history, after Southern Methodist University received it in 1987.

This one time the public should welcome the NCAA’s heavy hand.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120714/SPORTS02/307149945/1085/SPORTS03
Shuttering Beaver Stadium for two years would take Penn State football down a peg. It would also punish loads of hard-working athletes who have done nothing wrong, as well as all the fans. But that will be a far better than allowing a pedophile-sheltering athletic department that was bent on self-preservation to have itself preserved. If Penn State football carries on this fall, then the worldviews of Curley and Schultz and Spanier and Paterno will prevail. Though all four men lost their jobs, their mission to protect Penn State football at all costs will win out in the end.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-07-13/penn-state-players-react-to-death-penalty-rumors/56211626/1
"When you hear the 'death penalty' you think it can't happen but with all things you just don't know what will happen," senior defensive tackle Jordan Hill said during the Lions' annual charity event, Lift for Life. "When that time comes, if it comes, then we'll worry about that. Right now our eyes are looking forward to what's coming up."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Not usually a Steven A Smith fan, but I appreciated this.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 14, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
Not usually a Steven A Smith fan, but I appreciated this.

Yes, very good.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
Here's the thing, I don't think the NCAA will do anything at all on this. 

I think that they will be concerned about a vague precedent being set on how to deal with criminal events.

Personally, I think that unless we have another mass ass-raping of kids, the NCAA shouldn't be too concerned about that.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 14, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
I didn't think so either until the Freeh report came out, but now it seems like media types are really putting the heat on for the death penalty.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 15, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »
Gatdamn these people are weird.
http://www.facebook.com/ISupportJoePaterno
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 15, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Credit to EMAWgeddon.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 15, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »

I'm sure it's been said repeatedly, but it's so disturbing to know that our fanbase has this same potential. I mean, thanks for not raping and/or ignoring raping of kids, Coach. 'preciate it.  :dunno:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 15, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »

I'm sure it's been said repeatedly, but it's so disturbing to know that our fanbase has this same potential. I mean, thanks for not raping and/or ignoring raping of kids, Coach. 'preciate it.  :dunno:

Pretty much any fanbase is the same way.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 15, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Nah. Ours would be just as bad as Penn State because we also have a revered old coach who can do no wrong and is above scrutiny in the eyes of most tucks. Ours would be just as bad. I don't see too many others doing that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: July 15, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
Nah. Ours would be just as bad as Penn State because we also have a revered old coach who can do no wrong and is above scrutiny in the eyes of most tucks. Ours would be just as bad. I don't see too many others doing that.
it's not the same here

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
if self was touching kids, ku fans would riot at the star for reporting it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 15, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

"If"???

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »

Or imagine what would happen at Nubb if something like this came out during the Osborne era.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »

Or imagine what would happen at Nubb if something like this came out during the Osborne era.

The small towns of Nebraska would filter their best kids to Nubb to be molested.

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

The small towns of Nebraska would filter their best kids to Nubb to be molested.

Confirmed.
3021  RIP

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
Let's just hope the NCAA does the sensible thing here, which is nothing. Let the legal system handle legal matters. The NCAA should not be concerned with issues that give no competitive advantage.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 16, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Let's just hope the NCAA does the sensible thing here, which is nothing. Let the legal system handle legal matters. The NCAA should not be concerned with issues that give no competitive advantage.

trying to decide what does and does not give competitive advantage is not black and white.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
On some levels, how lucky is LHC Bill Snyder that there was a regime change at K-State?   I am not saying there would have been a Sandusky situation, so the lurking respects can relax.

But there's absolutely no doubt that Snyder under Wefald-Krause welded just as much if not more power than Paterno had, under the current regime, not as much.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
The NCAA is probably hoping like hell that Penn State steps up and does some self-imposed sanctions and acknowledgment of how mumped up this is, so they can roll with that.  PSU could come out and say that while these heinous sexual crimes by one individual are wholly unrelated to the football program, the incredibly poor handling of them are a result of football being the priority of the university for far too long, and as a result we're reducing scholarships by __, foregoing postseason, taking ourselves off TV for __ year(s), etc.

That'd probably appease everyone except the (legitimately and literally) butthurt victims, who will be suing the crap out of PSU.