Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 146340 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1625 on: October 23, 2021, 05:33:08 AM »
Missouri upland youth opener is next weekend,  planning on hitting that with my pooch and son.  Trying to pull off 5 straight weekends of bird hunting, should be fun.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 23, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »
Missouri upland youth opener is next weekend,  planning on hitting that with my pooch and son.  Trying to pull off 5 straight weekends of bird hunting, should be fun.
Quail or pheasant? NW Missouri is the only part where I've heard they have pheasants.

Good luck with the 5 straight weekends.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 23, 2021, 03:26:08 PM »
Quail or pheasant? NW Missouri is the only part where I've heard they have pheasants.

Good luck with the 5 straight weekends.

Yes NW Missouri, in Harrison county.   The last two hunts of the 5 week stretch will be on pen raised birds so I’m kind of cheating  :)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 23, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »
Who else is getting all jacked up to kill some animals this fall?

Nebraska pheasant season opens next weekend so I'm planning to head out to the cat ranch then drive an hour north into bug eater land and kill some of their birds.

Can't wait until the 14th when the KS season opens. Should have plenty of birds on the cat ranch since no cattle have grazed the pastures and we grew nothing but Milo. Also its probably good for the pheasant population that the coyotes ate all 15 barn cats that were hanging out last year.

What are the license requirements and do they have walk in hunting?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »

Nebraska pheasant season opens next weekend so I'm planning to head out to the cat ranch then drive an hour north into bug eater land and kill some of their birds.

Can't wait until the 14th when the KS season opens. Should have plenty of birds on the cat ranch since no cattle have grazed the pastures and we grew nothing but Milo. Also its probably good for the pheasant population that the coyotes ate all 15 barn cats that were hanging out last year.

I bought a 2 day license for $100 (includes the habit stamp). They have a similar program to WIHA where it's public access to private farms etc. I've only looked in SW Nebraska but they have alot of land to hunt.

https://outdoornebraska.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=71a515acd7f64a5d8245ec97eb96d976

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 24, 2021, 09:37:34 PM »

I bought a 2 day license for $100 (includes the habit stamp). They have a similar program to WIHA where it's public access to private farms etc. I've only looked in SW Nebraska but they have alot of land to hunt.

https://outdoornebraska.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=71a515acd7f64a5d8245ec97eb96d976

Ben, are you going straight north of Colby?  Looks great from Swanson Reservoir, east to McCook and north to HWY 80. Happy hunting.  The dogs will have a blast.  Do you have both of them trained for pointing birds?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 25, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »
I forgot this thread when I posted in the cooking thread the other day. Anyway, bubbles joined this year on my family/friends annual (since 1958 with the same host family) South Dakota hunt. We had a great time.

:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 25, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »
The tuckered out puppies  :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 25, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
Murderers!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
Amazing stuff 8man, that sounds like an absolute blast for an annual trip.  I’ve heard South Dakota pheasant hunting is second to none.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: October 25, 2021, 12:25:47 PM »
The tuckered out puppies  :D

Yeah, those pups look like they spent all day pounding the rock.

Great pics 8man, looks like you guys got into some birds.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 25, 2021, 12:29:06 PM »

Ben, are you going straight north of Colby?  Looks great from Swanson Reservoir, east to McCook and north to HWY 80. Happy hunting.  The dogs will have a blast.  Do you have both of them trained for pointing birds?

Yup, I'm planning to hunt between the reservoir and McCook. I like how the NE atlas shows what WIHA land is CRP etc, the KS one does not.

Lady is still gun shy and I've given up on her being a hunting dog so she will be staying at the farm house while Milo and I ravage the state of NE.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 25, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
That looks awesome 8mp. I got really cold when I went pheasant hunting in SD (saw / killed some birds (some probably pen-raised), too).

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 25, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
The most fun I ever had pheasant hunting was on opening day when I was about 15 circa 1996. My cool older cousin brought back her new boyfriend from KSU who liked pheasant hunting and it was pretty cold that weekend. We crashed through all of the milo stalks and fence lines and old railroad tracks. Found a lot of birds and mom made us a huge dinner at the end of the day. Best day of pheasant hunting ever.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 30, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »
Give the dumbest rooster in Nebraska award to this guy. I was walking the edge of an unharvested Milo field and a hen busted out then another hen. This rooster was about 10 yards into the field even with me and just starts cackling for about 20 seconds until my dog found it. I just sat there gun on shoulder waiting for him to meet his maker.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 30, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »
The feathering on that guy is beautiful. Kind of sad you killed him.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 30, 2021, 07:57:31 PM »
The feathering on that guy is beautiful. Kind of sad you killed him.

They are beautiful birds up close, does not stop me from wanting to kill them.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 30, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
Nice Rooster Benji. My pooch found 4 today and a covey of quail but none of them died :cry:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 30, 2021, 08:09:13 PM »
Things didnt start out that great tho. Second field I hunted was CRP, Milo and I were walking straight when a rooster flushed wild at my 3 oclock about 30 yards away and started flying towards my 6 oclock. I normally wouldn't waste the shot but I was all jacked up on PHEASANT ADRENALINE and put the shotgun to my shoulder....BOOM. The #4 shot I had chambered reached out and sent that male genitals tumbling. Probably the best shot I've ever made in my life and I was freaking JACKED.

Milo was 10 yards in front of me and had no idea where the bird landed so I made a beeline to where I thought the bird had landed. When I got there I took off my favorite/lucky hunting hat and hung it on a large desiccated sunflower stalk to mark the spot and started looking for the bird. 10 minutes later I coudn't find it then I realized I couldnt find my my hat either since the wind had blown it off the stalk. Spent about 30 minutes looking for my hat and the bird before admitting defeat.

Sucker must of took off running.  :frown:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:18:15 PM by ben ji »

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 30, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
Nice Rooster Benji. My pooch found 4 today and a covey of quail but none of them died :cry:

I am staying at the cat ranch and took the dogs for a walk around sunrise/sunset and saw more pheasants here than I did in my 6 hour trek into bug eater land. Without even trying I flushed 5 roosters and a couple of hens from around the cat ranch.

Since no cattle have grazed in the pens/part of the pasture its all overgrown with weeds and they hang out in there while eating the milo from the fields.

I'm pretty pumped for 2 weeks from now.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 30, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »

Also are you saying that your son is a terrible shot?!? You have to build them up

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 30, 2021, 08:25:51 PM »
....BOOM. The #4 shot I had chambered reached out and sent that male genitals tumbling. Probably the best shot I've ever made in my life and I was freaking JACKED.

:sdeek:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 30, 2021, 08:28:52 PM »

Also are you saying that your son is a terrible shot?!? You have to build them up

Son is actually a great shot, but he was hilariously slow walking today in some tough crp cover.  As fun as the roosters are, I can’t beat the rush of 20 quail spraying out in front of you like a cheetah on cocaine. Dog got some good work in so mission accomplished. 

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 13, 2021, 07:35:09 PM »
Got 3 cocks today, 1 before the Kstate game and 2 after.

There is a very primal satisfaction you achieve when you walk through a field with a dog under your control and it makes birds fly up so you can shoot them.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 13, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »
Got 3 cocks today, 1 before the Kstate game and 2 after.

There is a very primal satisfaction you achieve when you walk through a field with a dog under your control and it makes birds fly up so you can shoot them.

Nice group of cocks.  Did you use the golf cart to hunt?