Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 144955 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1375 on: November 20, 2019, 07:27:43 AM »
Why not train lil lil?  What better to hunt birds than a cat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 02, 2019, 09:32:38 AM »
Finally found a map of CRP lands in KS that looks halfway accurate.

http://kars.ku.edu/maps/kansaslandcover/   Filter by "Kansas GAP Landcover" and it will show you CRP Lands.

You can cross reference it with the map of walk in public hunting access to see where they match up and where the birds might be hiding. 

http://ksdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a6467b7c4f714053ab63003607674413

I'm going hunting this weekend and found a couple places within 20 minutes of the cat ranch that I plan to check out!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 06, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »
Recently found a pheasant hunting forum and spent all week reading old threads looking for pheasant hunting tips, mainly just old people bitching about farmers though.

https://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?31-Kansas

Heading out this afternoon with my tracking dog lady to see if we can kick up some birds by ourselves. Getting excited!  :excited: :Woohoo:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 07, 2019, 07:15:11 PM »
I did it guyz, Ive reached peak Manhood.

Spent all day walking around a field with a shotgun and killed a bird.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:56:47 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 07, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »
Then I cleaned it after watching a youtube video. This unlucky SOB is definitely a Corn Aggie fan.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:08:46 AM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: December 07, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
Look at that beautiful chicken type bird.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:57:10 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 07, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
About to cook the heart/liver in sausage grease while I drink beer and watch CFB.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 07, 2019, 07:19:48 PM »
:Carl:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 07, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
You going to salt brine that fine organic piece of meat overnight? Did lady flush it up?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 07, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
Lady was sitting in the backseat of my vehicle when I shot this bird. She will run a field or pasture with me but refuses to run in CRP after about 1 hr.

Bird is in the fridge for now, will google recipes/brines when I get it back home. Hoping to snag another tomorrow morning before I leave.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 07, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Legit saw 20+ Hens and 10+ roosters today. I was by myself and most roosters flushed too far away to hit but it was still a "blast".

I almost had to step on a bird to flush it up and then 4-5 more in the same area would fly up. rough ridin' exhilarating and panic inducing at the same time.

Majority were in the 20 acre CRP field that borders a recently harvested corn field (was not harvested when I was out a month ago). When I hunted that field around 5pm I saw 2 seperate groups of pheasants on the edge of the corn/CRP heading in for the night.

Unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing since this was my second time and they clearly saw me first.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 07, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »
feeling a little nostalgic now.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 08, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »
Congrats ben ji!! And glad to see some upright pics!

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 09, 2019, 04:02:12 AM »
Went and shot clay today with a buddy that is a big waterfowl hunter. Was very fun.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 13, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
I gave up on Lady ever being a hunting dog so I paroled Shiloh from the local penitentiary.

7 month old pointer mutt, gonna make her the best bird dog west of the Missoura!

Also I have no idea why the photos I upload through tapatalk are showing up sideways.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 13, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
Alright guyz, give me your best bird dog training tips etc.

I'm not going to hunt her this year but plan on taking her out in a couple of weeks to pew pew some .22's about 20 yards away while she is eating or something to make sure she is not terrified of guns.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 13, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
This is great news, she's adorable.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 13, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
Discipline discipline discipline.   Hunting is bred into them.  Discipline you must teach.  Simple commands such as sit, here, down are just repetitive stuff.  Establish dominance and reinforce discipline with stuff you do every day.  When you let it outside, make it sit until you say ok or whatever release command you want to use.  When you let it back inside, make it sit and dont let it come in until given a command.  When you feed it, make it sit and dont let it eat until given a release command.  These are things that are done every day and the easiest way to reinforce discipline/dominance 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 13, 2019, 10:29:32 PM »
i think shooting coyotes is weird and mean.  i loved killing them with greyhounds with my grandfather, though.  pretty hypocritical of me.  a lot of the things i love doing are really cruel to one animal or another, but i love animals.  it's weird.
Was rereading this thread looking for pheasant hunting advice and saw this.

My dad told me that my cousin that currently hunts coyotes from a stand used to have a pack of greyhounds to hunt them with, I thought my dad was crazy but apparently this was/is a thing?

I need more details. All my dad told me was the greyhounds would chase the coyote down and then the old grizzled veteran greyhound would go for the kill shot on the throat.

Can you confirm/deny?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 13, 2019, 10:43:35 PM »
Grew up hunting coyotes with greyhounds.   Lot of fun yet kind of gruesome.   3-4 greyhounds to a set.  Usually had a really fast dog that was you catch dog.  The rest were there to crush the throat and chest.  Lots of high speed chases and some bad wrecks.  Was cool watching those dogs run though.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: December 13, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
i think shooting coyotes is weird and mean.  i loved killing them with greyhounds with my grandfather, though.  pretty hypocritical of me.  a lot of the things i love doing are really cruel to one animal or another, but i love animals.  it's weird.
Was rereading this thread looking for pheasant hunting advice and saw this.

My dad told me that my cousin that currently hunts coyotes from a stand used to have a pack of greyhounds to hunt them with, I thought my dad was crazy but apparently this was/is a thing?

I need more details. All my dad told me was the greyhounds would chase the coyote down and then the old grizzled veteran greyhound would go for the kill shot on the throat.

Can you confirm/deny?

Did you know coyotes are not a related species to dogs.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 13, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
Discipline discipline discipline.   Hunting is bred into them.  Discipline you must teach.  Simple commands such as sit, here, down are just repetitive stuff.  Establish dominance and reinforce discipline with stuff you do every day.  When you let it outside, make it sit until you say ok or whatever release command you want to use.  When you let it back inside, make it sit and dont let it come in until given a command.  When you feed it, make it sit and dont let it eat until given a release command.  These are things that are done every day and the easiest way to reinforce discipline/dominance

:cheers:

The nick saban approach, I like it.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 13, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »
As with Alabama football, it works.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 13, 2019, 11:51:36 PM »
I like to grab an extension cord and my spare microwave (keep it covered in the fall) and head to the backyard.  load that sucker up with bird seed and #blessed blue jays and possums and crap

feels great when you're able to best these magnificent creatures on a level playing field such as you've described

while i don't microwave my prey, i have rigged a loud speaker in my backyard (i live in a rural community on several acres of land) to emit a super ultrasonic soundwave (that only animals can hear) when my motion detectors sense something on my land that is so loud it actually bursts the prey's ear drums and causes their ears to begin pouring out copious amounts of blood.  the blood travels to the electric grid i have inlaid into the ground and acts as a conduit to the animals brains by which the electric grid sends jolts of 1 million volts in 3, 30 second increments.  the first kills the animal, the 2nd cooks the animal, and the 3rd dries the cooked carcass into jerky that i eat when i go on my other hunting trips.  makes for a great snack.  call me old fashioned but i just love the sport of it all.  go cats.

Amazing post here by clams.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 14, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

Can you confirm/deny?

yeah, that's about it.  there's a little variation in coyote finding technique (my grandfather had the greyhounds in box in a pickup and would drive around in fields and such until someone saw a coyote) but basically you find a coyote then the dogs chase it and kill it.

the fastest dog is the throw dog and has to trip the coyote, the kill dog is the boldest dog that will jump on the coyote and kill it and how ever many other dogs there are will bite at it a bit after the kill dog starts the fight.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."