Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 145013 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1050 on: November 21, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
Hiking is just as enjoyable as hunting, imo.  In fact, it is more so.  You get what you go for every time you go.

I've thought a lot about this and I can assert that you are wrong.  When you're hiking you are only considering your own needs.  When you are hunting you are not only considering your own needs, but are also considering the needs of your quarry.  Sometimes you sacrifice your own needs in the hunt.  You are more aware of your surroundings, where you walk, how loudly you talk, the wind, the angle of the sun, the moon phase, everything.  You actually hear bird calls and squirrels bark and such because they can affect you, whereas a hiker might ignore them or not even notice them.  Also, you're up and active early and late (and sometimes at night), which is when animals are most active.  Hikers don't even get out of bed until the sun is up. FWIW, these aren't uniquely my thoughts, I took a hippie friend on my first hunt to Colorado and he noticed these things.  I met a couple who spent an entire week in a wilderness area loaded with elk and they never saw a single one, couldn't even comment if they noticed any tracks or droppings.  They were oblivious hikers.

Maybe casual hikers, but more serious hikers and especially peakbaggers almost always start well before sunrise.  And I can guarantee you when it's dark and I'm on the trail alone, I'm very aware of my surroundings.  I will admit that on the way down I'm typically going for speed and missing things, but by then there are other people around ruining it anyway.

That's a good point, hikers stick to trails and are almost always around other hikers.  Hunters try to get at least a mile off trail and will trudge mile by mile through blowdown.  We set up camp in places to enable glassing, like bald ridges or saddles, usually away from water and subject to high winds and lightning. 

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 21, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
It's the talker/doer thing again. 

But, sometimes my wife asks if there's anything in season for me to go kill.   :buh-bye:

Hey numbskull, you get that no one is taking issue with your "doing," it's the bullshit you're "talking" that we're busting you on, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are reading in something that isn't there or saying I said something I haven't.  I'm willing to assume you guys aren't stupid (most of you at least) so I can only assume jealousy or something else I don't understand.

The quiet reflection you so obviously practiced in the wilderness has perfectly attuned you to the universe and the nature of man.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:55:35 PM by wELLsculptedbrows »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
that sounds good emo

secret part of post that I set a mod thing so emo can't read: wtf is the matter with this emo guy? seems like he's super into stuff that's a waste of time and sucks complete crap?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 23, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »
[quote auhor=WackyCat08 link=topic=16382.msg1643955#msg1643955 date=1479394061]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch.  Where are you fishing, if you don't mind me asking.

Keeping with the spirit of the thread, going to do some killing with slack jr over thanksgiving.  Quail, rabbit
Roaring river near cassville. Missouri. Dad and I do it every year in the fall. It's always a blast. Enjoy your time with Jr. :D
[/quote]

Thanks!   :D

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 28, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
On Friday I scooted out of the in-laws at 2AM to head to further western KS to try to find a mature mule deer.  I had found a nice deer two weeks ago on a hidden winter wheat field (can't see it from the road).  I decided to sit this field to see if he showed back up.  His does were there but he never showed.  Got this pic of this young whitetail just as the sun was setting.  Did 10 miles this day.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 28, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
On Friday I scooted out of the in-laws at 2AM to head to further western KS to try to find a mature mule deer.  I had found a nice deer two weeks ago on a hidden winter wheat field (can't see it from the road).  I decided to sit this field to see if he showed back up.  His does were there but he never showed.  Got this pic of this young whitetail just as the sun was setting.  Did 10 miles this day.

Basically just a hike.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 28, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
Well ya it's KS dude, and I was scouting not hunting. 

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 28, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
your hiking mess with any of the actual hunters?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 28, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
I only saw one other guy, some crazy fool who drove all the way from Shawnee to run one brittany and he wasn't even carrying a gun.  I told him where I stepped on a covey earlier and went on my way.  I don't see many spot and stalk bowhunters, not even during the rut. 

Oh I did see some coyote hunters and got the hell out of there pretty fast as they swept my position with their rifles as they were setting down. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
Emo, you should invite me to your crib for some elk chili, I think we'd have a blast.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 29, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »
I only saw one other guy, some crazy fool who drove all the way from Shawnee to run one brittany and he wasn't even carrying a gun.  I told him where I stepped on a covey earlier and went on my way.  I don't see many spot and stalk bowhunters, not even during the rut. 

Oh I did see some coyote hunters and got the hell out of there pretty fast as they swept my position with their rifles as they were setting down.

Why didn't you just join the army if you wanted to go on long early morning hikes and talk in military lingo?  You'd really be able to talk about selflessness then.  Like selfless trump card up your sleeve

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »

Why didn't you just join the army if you wanted to go on long early morning hikes and talk in military lingo?  You'd really be able to talk about selflessness then.  Like selfless trump card up your sleeve

I'm a lover not a fighter. 

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 01, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
there was a coyote in my mint garden this morning, wtf

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
What method did you use to kill it?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
shot up a flare for emo

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 01, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 01, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »

I'm a lover not a fighter.

Not hooking me up with some of that chili isn't very lover like, emo.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 06, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 06, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
I love to go out before dawn and take photographs and timelapses of the sunrise, stars, nature, etc.  I suppose my motivation for these endeavors is mostly selfish as I enjoy the time alone, and although I do return with a bounty of pretty pictures that my wife and kids enjoy looking at, it does not provide any sustenance. (unless you count emotional and spiritual sustenance, which you probably don't)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
I love to go out before dawn and take photographs and timelapses of the sunrise, stars, nature, etc.  I suppose my motivation for these endeavors is mostly selfish as I enjoy the time alone, and although I do return with a bounty of pretty pictures that my wife and kids enjoy looking at, it does not provide any sustenance. (unless you count emotional and spiritual sustenance, which you probably don't)

after seeing how the young man was raised, i feel like i have a better understanding of why emo feels his child should be grateful to receive a pile of elk meat.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
not one of you is going to give Emo for the incredibly generous gift of meat he gives and how selfless it is.  It makes me ill

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 06, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
Tonight:  elk spaghetti.   :drool:  <-- that's baby emo right there when i tell him we're having elk chicken for dinner.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 19, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 19, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
he can come get the one that kicks it in my backyard.  have a big heated blind and everything

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 12, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
While reading the Puni thread about catching your own fish, I was curious what everyone's thoughts are on forced babarism? I have a tank of cichlids and used go feed them fish. I then felt bad about it and bought a giant goldfish (probably cruel of me as they are fish that live in different temps) as a way for penance. Anyway, 2 months later my Oscar had bitten him in half.

Just curious if those that are a fan of hunting, fishing, have a different view that on this matter.