Author Topic: Empty Seats  (Read 21723 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Seats
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
Even for the bigger games, there needs to be a 3 if not 4 tier ticket pricing, the 2 upper level sections on both ends need to be at most $25 dollars.

THIS. have been saying this for a long time. do we need to start an email campaign? I can tuck in my shirt and start typing if I need to.
what makes more money, 75% of a section full at 50 bucks or 100% full at 25 bucks?

You're right concessions and repeat customers should not factored in.  Also, with tiered pricing, you get to have different prices for different tiers.  The change could be revenue neutral or not revenue neutral, it really isn't the topic at hand.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
There are two BCS schools in one of the least populated states in the country. 
KS is pretty middle of the road as far as state populations go.

Name a state with a lower population than Kansas that has two BCS schools.  You can't.  

I'm giving this to you on a technicality, but Utah is smaller than Kansas, and I'd argue that you can consider an Independent BYU on par with most BCS teams.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »

Utah could have 2 if/when BYU joins a BCS conference.  Mississippi and Iowa each have like a few hundred more thousand than Kansas.

It's a disadvantage, no doubt, but it's not like we're splitting Delaware's population and KS definitely isn't one of the "least populated states in the country."

Name a state with a lower population than Kansas that has two BCS schools.  You can't.  

Kansas is 33 out of 50 in terms of population, meaning it is indeed one of the least populated states in the country.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »

I'm giving this to you on a technicality, but Utah is smaller than Kansas, and I'd argue that you can consider an Independent BYU on par with most BCS teams.

BYU isn't in a BCS conference.  There are plenty of non-BCS teams that are "on par" with teams in a BCS conference.  See: Boise State.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Okay well then by that same logic, KSU has one of the best football teams and one of the best basketball teams in the country.

That's a situation I'll take, low relative population or not.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
And btw, I'm talking crap on the students or alumni that chose to attend.  The 48k in the stadium were into the game.  Students were great.  

My comments are directed at the losers who didn't show.  Pretty lame.  

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
Okay well then by that same logic, KSU has one of the best football teams and one of the best basketball teams in the country.

Do you know what the word "logic" means? 

:confused:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
Agree that the upper deck seating ought to be tiered appropriately.  $25 to $35 seems reasonable for those problematic corner sections.

The student section is a different animal.  I'd actually like to see its size reduced by one section if it's not filled from this point forward.  Use it or lose it.  If you want to buy a ticket and stay in the parking lot drinking or playing a game of corn hole in your front yard instead of attending, that's cool.  We just need to eliminate the 750 or so seats from the student section that have been consistently never filled for the last 10 years and open them up for season ticket sales.  The AD knows they can oversell to the students if they don't want to show up and I'm cool with it.  They can sit on the grass in an overflow scenario like they used to.

We're losing out on a substantial amount of high revenue generating seats at midfield that we could be capitalizing on.  Might as well sell them to season ticket holders and keep the lower bowl of the stadium full.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »

This isn't about the quality of football/basketball teams.  This is about filling two stadiums that seat 50,000+.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

This isn't about the quality of football/basketball teams.  This is about filling two stadiums that seat 50,000+.

His comment wasn't about the quality of football/basketball teams either.  It was an analogy to show that labeling 33rd out of 50 as "one of the least populated" is dumb.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
Oh, and by the way... I went to the Oregon State/Arizona game yesterday (go Beavs!!!) and tickets for the upper deck were $15.  

yes, this is what needs to happen.

Offline Testy Westy

• Katpak'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
Here you go beems:

(included TCU but not BYU)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
The student section is a different animal.  I'd actually like to see its size reduced by one section if it's not filled from this point forward.  Use it or lose it.  If you want to buy a ticket and stay in the parking lot drinking or playing a game of corn hole in your front yard instead of attending, that's cool.  We just need to eliminate the 750 or so seats from the student section that have been consistently never filled for the last 10 years and open them up for season ticket sales.  The AD knows they can oversell to the students if they don't want to show up and I'm cool with it.  They can sit on the grass in an overflow scenario like they used to.

We're losing out on a substantial amount of high revenue generating seats at midfield that we could be capitalizing on.  Might as well sell them to season ticket holders and keep the lower bowl of the stadium full.

Under the "use it or lose it" theory, shouldn't the section taken away from the students be the shitty one that's furthest north that nobody wants to sit in?  I don't think you can assume that the same number of students will show up (assuming football quality/atmosphere stays generally where it's been) and slide one section over with 1/5 of them being shoved into the section that's barely in the stadium, regardless of how nice it would be for people like us to be able to slide into section 24 at midfield.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »

Under the "use it or lose it" theory, shouldn't the section taken away from the students be the shitty one that's furthest north that nobody wants to sit in?  I don't think you can assume that the same number of students will show up (assuming football quality/atmosphere stays generally where it's been) and slide one section over with 1/5 of them being shoved into the section that's barely in the stadium, regardless of how nice it would be for people like us to be able to slide into section 24 at midfield.

agree with this, something should be done about that section. angle it in or something.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »

This isn't about the quality of football/basketball teams.  This is about filling two stadiums that seat 50,000+.

His comment wasn't about the quality of football/basketball teams either.  It was an analogy to show that labeling 33rd out of 50 as "one of the least populated" is dumb.

JFC.

:facepalm:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

JFC.

Is K-State one of the best football teams in the country right now?  They're in the top 15% of D-1 teams. 

Students, next time you get at 66% on a test even after you skipped yet another game, take solace in the fact that you got one of the highest scores possible on the test.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

JFC.

Is K-State one of the best football teams in the country right now?  They're in the top 15% of D-1 teams. 

Students, next time you get at 66% on a test even after you skipped yet another game, take solace in the fact that you got one of the highest scores possible on the test.

I've been celebrating 66% on tests for years :thumbs:

There is a valid argument that attendance for K-State and KU is hurt by the fact that we have two BCS schools in a small state.  Two weeks ago when K-State was playing Baylor and KU was playing Tech there were 50K at our game and 40K at KU's game.  That's 90K total fans attending college football games in a state that doesn't have a ton of people, and those attendance stats weren't inflated with visiting fans.  If Kansas only had one school like Nebraska, that school could play in a stadium that seats 75-80K and sellout every game.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »

JFC.

There is a valid argument that attendance for K-State and KU is hurt by the fact that we have two BCS schools in a small state.  Two weeks ago when K-State was playing Baylor and KU was playing Tech there were 50K at our game and 40K at KU's game.  That's 90K total fans attending college football games in a state that doesn't have a ton of people, and those attendance stats weren't inflated with visiting fans.  If Kansas only had one school like Nebraska, that school could play in a stadium that seats 75-80K and sellout every game.

not if the team sucked, which it probably would

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »

JFC.

Look, I love Kansas... but it's not a very highly populated state.  It's just not.  Don't get all butthurt about it.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »

JFC.

Why would the team suck?  K-State is ranked in the top 20 and KU has some pretty good playmakers on offense.  I think the team would be pretty damn good, actually. 

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »

JFC.

What makes you think it would suck?  Imagine if all of K-State's and KU's donors, resources, players, coaches etc were combined.  That one school would have the support of the entire state, much like the state directly north of Kansas.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »

JFC.

Why would the team suck?  K-State is ranked in the top 20 and KU has some pretty good playmakers on offense.  I think the team would be pretty damn good, actually. 

thats not how it works.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »

JFC.

thats not how it works.

Yes it is.  Hell, take a look at West Virginia and Nebraska.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »
What most ku folks can't seem to understand is, that any effort on the part of ku to actually do something in football during the last 10 years is directly attributed to k-state.

No K-State and the basketball only crowd rules the day in Lawrence.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »
I would guess K-State was counting on Mizzou bringing some additional fans yesterday, rather than them sucking and their fans being more interested in staying home and doing meth while listening to the game on their transistor radios. Probably why you didn't see tiered pricing for this or games like the OU game.

The ticket office strategy is getting better. 5 years ago it was worse than it is now. They're finally using some seating area pricing differentiation.

$20 versus $40 or $50 makes a big difference when you're looking at a family of 4 or 5 going to a game. They should take that crappy end section away from the students, and sell those and the upper deck end section at a lower price.

The upper deck overall is OK and gives a nice view, but it does feel pretty isolated from the rest of the stadium. Wonder if that will improve with the expansion of the west side/pressbox.