Author Topic: Empty Seats  (Read 21241 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Seats
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »

The culture has to be rebuilt and once it is, I'd bet more students and non-students alike consistently attend games.  Until then, we'll probably hover around 48k or so.

Ahhh, the culture has to be rebuilt.  I got it.  It's a cultural thing, or something.  

Disregard the fact that we sold out the first two games.  Disregard that we're ranked.  It's 1989 again.  Just have to wait for people to buy back in.  

When the OU game isn't sold out, well just chalk it up to culture or something.  Btw, is economy still a valid excuse or was that more of a 2010 thing?  

Stop being a moron and just agree with me.
Both of those things contribute heavily to the attendance issue.  If they don't then what explains the non-sellouts?  People are just genuinely more interested in kent state and eastern kentucky?

Besides, I'm not trying to vilify or excuse anyone.  Just trying to explain to you why the situation is what it is, without throwing a temper tantrum.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:43:39 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
One reason the student section doesn't fill up is that it is much harder than it should be to sell student tickets now.  Each student who buys season tickets gets an ID card that has all of their tickets for the year on it. The days of selling your ticket to a random person when you can't go to the game are gone. Really should go back to physical tickets IMO.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
One reason the student section doesn't fill up is that it is much harder than it should be to sell student tickets now.  Each student who buys season tickets gets an ID card that has all of their tickets for the year on it. The days of selling your ticket to a random person when you can't go to the game are gone. Really should go back to physical tickets IMO.
Also, don't forget to give me that card back, 8man!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »

You should untuck your v-neck from your whitie tighties....only old shits try and critique the student section when you sit in cushioned chair backs.

I'm not old and I wore a button down (untucked) with rain jacket and shorts.  And I sat in the club level (non cushioned seat) with a beer in my hand the entire game.  But, I will critique the crap out of the student section because I stood in that section for every home game for 4 years. 

You guys rough ridin' suck.  There shouldn't have been an open seat in that section this week.  Maybe some more students will find the time in their busy schedules to walk over for the OU game.   

The students in Bramlage now are way better than when you were in school. Weird, huh?

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »

They say they don't do things the way the old students used to do... Newer students seem to have different values and expectations.  

Ahh gotcha.. It's like a smaller is better thing.  The 25% fewer students is simply a reflection of different values, or something.  Kind of like tim Weiser's philosophy on facilities.  

And why is it that I can't be pissed about student attendance?  How Bout the 48k total attendance for the game?  Can I be pissed about alumni?  That game should have been sold out. Alumni and students alike are rough ridin' lame for not showing up.  Just my humble opinion.  Props to those who showed up.  

Maybe it's just me but we're 5-0, ranked, been on TV last two weeks and looked good and I'm more  :love: than  :runaway: about everything.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »
yeah, the students weren't great yesterday, but it was a pretty crappy day, with the rain and all, so most "normal" fans just went and  :drink: in the parking lot or at their respective homes.  the students don't concern me all that much, they'll show up this year, I fully expect a full student section for OU, aTm, and probably ISU.

That being said, the thing that does concern me is the fact that the AD feels the need to charge $50  :sdeek: for crappy upper deck, upper corner seats. if those seats cost $25 instead of $50, I would have gone, a lot of people like me probably would have gone. It's hard for me to shell out $100+ gas and food and all that stuff, to go to a game and sit in seats that are about as far away from the field as you can get.

In my mind pricing should be this:
lower bowl: $50 ($60 for premium games)
NEZ $35 ($45)
First ten rows of east side and all of the rows at midfield ($35) ($45)
Upper corners $25 always, there's no way they should ever charge more than $25 for those seats, ever.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
Unless you're in the student section, or in a drinking section with a lot of buds and insulated from KSTATEOs, the BSFS game experience isn't fun.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
Unless you're in the student section, or in a drinking section with a lot of buds and insulated from KSTATEOs, the BSFS game experience isn't fun.

agreed. love the school, absolutely hate the fanbase.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
yeah, the students weren't great yesterday, but it was a pretty crappy day, with the rain and all, so most "normal" fans just went and  :drink: in the parking lot or at their respective homes.  the students don't concern me all that much, they'll show up this year, I fully expect a full student section for OU, aTm, and probably ISU.

That being said, the thing that does concern me is the fact that the AD feels the need to charge $50  :sdeek: for crappy upper deck, upper corner seats. if those seats cost $25 instead of $50, I would have gone, a lot of people like me probably would have gone. It's hard for me to shell out $100+ gas and food and all that stuff, to go to a game and sit in seats that are about as far away from the field as you can get.

NEZ $35 ($45)
Upper corners $25 always, there's no way they should ever charge more than $25 for those seats, ever.

eat a dick.  you're not john currie, you don't choose the ticket prices.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 11:54:51 AM »

NEZ $35 ($45)

awesome, observation.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:48 AM »

NEZ $35 ($45)

awesome, observation.

It needed to be said.  Quit bitching about the ticket prices, they are very fair.  I'm sorry that you think otherwise.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

NEZ $35 ($45)

awesome observation.

It needed to be said.  Quit bitching about the ticket prices, they are very fair.  I'm sorry that you think otherwise.

it has nothing to do with being fair, is it K-state's fault that I chose a career that pays crap? no, I don't blame them for me not being able to afford to go to more games. if we were selling out the stadium at the current prices I'd be all for it, maybe even raising the prices, even if that meant completely pricing me out of tickets. I wouldn't care as long as the stadium was full and making money.

that isn't happening, it's really not even close, yesterday the corners were completely empty. I don't see the problem with lowering the prices of those seats to get another 2-3k in the stadium. granted I'm no financial whiz, but I don't see how that could adversely affect profits. correct me if I'm wrong.

don't mean to come across as bitching here, just sharing my opinion

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »

:dubious:

Some horrible seats currently cost the same as much better seats.  And there's a pretty clear correlation between attendance and ticket prices for the first four games.  There's definitely a lot of poor people who will go to games depending on how much the game ticket costs.  Doesn't make much sense to me considering the cost of a ticket is often a drop in the bucket of what's spent on a trip to a game, but it's clearly the approach taken by the last 2,000 people needed to fill the stadium.

I've got a free ticket available for the ou game and it's less than 10% I'll go.

Offline jabba11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
I bought a seson ticket in section 430 fro 235 bucks I bleive it was.. 235/7 = 33.57 a ticket. And while the experience is a little different up there mostly becasue you cant hear the studnet section well etc, you CAN see the game quite well. In fact you can see it better than most seats in the stadium becasue of the "overhead view" I have sat in many places in the satdium chairbacks endzones even in a box once (which was heaven by the way). IMHO the worst seat to watch th egame from is the endzone I could NEVER tell what was happenign becasue of the perspective you have there..

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
Endzone seats worst?  Parents had endzone seats (sec 14) for years, loved them because we could see what the players see, it was awesome.

Plus we were the section that caused the Nebraska kicker to miss the easy FG during 29-28.   :cool:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
There are two BCS schools in one of the least populated states in the country. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
KS is pretty middle of the road as far as state populations go.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
Oh, and by the way... I went to the Oregon State/Arizona game yesterday (go Beavs!!!) and tickets for the upper deck were $15.  

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »

The students in Bramlage now are way better than when you were in school. Weird, huh?

Thanks for making my point for me.  Student sections at KSU kick ass when we are winning. Plain and simple. We saw it during the DoD and we saw it when Huggins showed up.  The effect was immediate.  Even though the Huggins team was fairly average, they won 20 games.  The student participation turned amazing overnight.  None of this "cultural" bullshit.  

When I was in school, bball sucked and crowds were small.  Now were good and crowds are big.  Pretty simple.  

This is why Saturday's crowd bothered me. We are good.  Support the team.  Just like bball.  Just like the DoD.  If we sucked, I would understand the apathy.  As it is, I'm a little confused.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

seems we should decide which one is the flagship of the state.  Lets examine football records.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »

Thanks for making my point for me.  Student sections at KSU kick ass when we are winning. Plain and simple. We saw it during the DoD and we saw it when Huggins showed up.  The effect was immediate.  Even though the Huggins team was fairly average, they won 20 games.  The student participation turned amazing overnight.  None of this "cultural" bullshit.  

When I was in school, bball sucked and crowds were small.  Now were good and crowds are big.  Pretty simple.  

This is why Saturday's crowd bothered me. We are good.  Support the team.  Just like bball.  Just like the DoD.  If we sucked, I would understand the apathy.  As it is, I'm a little confused.
Basketball student section didn't consistently fill up during Huggins's year.

Come on.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
what should the population be per BCS school?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »

Name a state with a lower population than Kansas that has two BCS schools.  You can't.  

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »

Utah could have 2 if/when BYU joins a BCS conference.  Mississippi and Iowa each have like a few hundred more thousand than Kansas.

It's a disadvantage, no doubt, but it's not like we're splitting Delaware's population and KS definitely isn't one of the "least populated states in the country."

Name a state with a lower population than Kansas that has two BCS schools.  You can't.  

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

Nevada has UNLV and Nevada.  Not sure if that counts.