Author Topic: Empty Seats  (Read 21521 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Seats
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
Look, I love Kansas... but it's not a very highly populated state.  It's just not.  Don't get all butthurt about it.

I don't love Kansas.  It's the 33rd most populated state out of 50.  Middle of the pack.  I notice the same exaggeration tendencies when Frank does them too.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
Iowa has about 175K more people. 

Iowa averages 70K a game.

ISU will put 53-54K into their place at the slightest hint of being good.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
Yes it is.  Hell, take a look at West Virginia and Nebraska.

Look at Missouri. Look at Kentucky (Louisville has not been BCS for very long, and Kentucky has actually gotten better since Louisville was elevated). Look at Colorado.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:13:48 PM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
Look, I love Kansas... but it's not a very highly populated state.  It's just not.  Don't get all butthurt about it.

I don't love Kansas.  It's the 33rd most populated state out of 50.  Middle of the pack.  I notice the same exaggeration tendencies when Frank does them too.

It's the least populated of any state with two BCS programs.  Quit being so goddamn butthurt about it.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
Is that why they don't go to Memorial Stadium?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2011, 07:26:04 PM »

Look at Missouri. Look at Kentucky (Louisville has not been BCS for very long, and Kentucky has actually gotten better since Louisville was elevated). Look at Colorado.

Mizzou has been very good over the past several years.  Kentucky plays in the SEC and has been to five bowls in a row.  Colorado has a national title in football, and they're unique because they're located in a state where people don't really care about sports.  Next.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

wut

:flush:

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out your point, bro. 

We have one section in the upper deck sparsely populated and you've turned this into a Rand McNally Census Bureau explanation.

5000 people below capacity?  I guarantee you there are at least 5000 people in that parking lot tailgating the entire game.  If not there are at least 5000 more people in Manhattan watching the TV or in their yard drinking or something.  There are at least 5000 people in the state of Kansas at that same time.

Same thing with your stadium.  Even though 39k showed up to Memorial Stadium for your homecoming I'm sure are another 12,000 somewhere local that could've gone but didn't.

Do you really think it's only about the OMG Kansas is such a small state and can't muster up a big enough fan base to completely fill a 50k stadium on a rainy Saturday afternoon?  Isn't it more likely there's another explanation?  Haven't KSU and KU been able to fill their stadiums before, perhaps even on the same weekend?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »

wut

This explains why ku dominates the KC TV Market.  Everyone stays at home to tune in.  I guess you can't have it both ways.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

It's the least populated of any state with two BCS programs.  

I agree.

Kansas is 33 out of 50 in terms of population, meaning it is indeed one of the least populated states in the country.

Disagree.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
Mississippi has about a 100K more people . . . BFD.

phog.net is perpetually blaming every ku failing on K-State, Ben is just a mouthpiece for that over here.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
So, do we eliminate the ku football program or do we give fanning a goEMAW owner business card and have him get to work on upping the KS population?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
Mississippi has about a 100K more people . . . BFD.

phog.net is perpetually blaming every ku failing on K-State, Ben is just a mouthpiece for that over here.

I'm not blaming anything on K-State.  It's a fact that Kansas is the least populated state with two BCS programs.  Quit complaining about a few empty seats and just enjoy 5-0 and top 20.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »

The students in Bramlage now are way better than when you were in school. Weird, huh?

Thanks for making my point for me.  Student sections at KSU kick ass when we are winning. Plain and simple. We saw it during the DoD and we saw it when Huggins showed up.  The effect was immediate.  Even though the Huggins team was fairly average, they won 20 games.  The student participation turned amazing overnight.  None of this "cultural" bullshit.  

When I was in school, bball sucked and crowds were small.  Now were good and crowds are big.  Pretty simple.  

This is why Saturday's crowd bothered me. We are good.  Support the team.  Just like bball.  Just like the DoD.  If we sucked, I would understand the apathy.  As it is, I'm a little confused.

I disagree, the SS was better when Huggins came but people still didn't really know what was going on.  For example, you don't have to be quiet when KSU is on offense in bball, but we were.  SS is way better now than then for bb. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
Us students doing a "Lets go Wildcats" chant while our offense was lining up for the snap count made me extremely :dubious: and  :shakesfist:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

Mizzou has been very good over the past several years.  Kentucky plays in the SEC and has been to five bowls in a row.  Colorado has a national title in football, and they're unique because they're located in a state where people don't really care about sports.  Next.

Mizzou is a good, not great program. There is no reason both Kansas and Kansas State cannot be as good as Mizzou. How frequently did Kentucky go bowling when Louisville was not a member of the Big East? They certainly haven't gotten worse. Colorado is horrible, and nobody cares about national titles from 20+ years ago. Kansas State has next to no non-alumni fans. I really don't think KU would be any better or have significantly more fans if KSU were a midmajor.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
Saying ksu has little to none non alumni following is absurd.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »

Is it?  Wear a KSU shirt in Central Texas and see how many blank stares you get until someone asks you why you're wearing a "Penn State shirt".

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I have no idea wtf you are rambling about super purp.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
Don't make me untuck my shirt.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
goddamn, this thread has gone terribly wrong.

we don't need to be bitching about how many people live in kansas, or how many BCS schools we have per capita. JFC no one cares if we have a large non-alumni fanbase. we don't, we probably never will. deal with it. we can't affect that stuff, but we can change the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) ticket pricing formula the AD uses right now. granted it is a lot better than 5 years ago, with the family packs and such, but it can still be better.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
yeah, the students weren't great yesterday, but it was a pretty crappy day, with the rain and all, so most "normal" fans just went and  :drink: in the parking lot or at their respective homes.  the students don't concern me all that much, they'll show up this year, I fully expect a full student section for OU, aTm, and probably ISU.

That being said, the thing that does concern me is the fact that the AD feels the need to charge $50  :sdeek: for crappy upper deck, upper corner seats. if those seats cost $25 instead of $50, I would have gone, a lot of people like me probably would have gone. It's hard for me to shell out $100+ gas and food and all that stuff, to go to a game and sit in seats that are about as far away from the field as you can get.

In my mind pricing should be this:
lower bowl: $50 ($60 for premium games)
NEZ $35 ($45)
First ten rows of east side and all of the rows at midfield ($35) ($45)
Upper corners $25 always, there's no way they should ever charge more than $25 for those seats, ever.

U do realize some of the upper deck seats require $1,000 minimun donation.  :dubious:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
yeah, the students weren't great yesterday, but it was a pretty crappy day, with the rain and all, so most "normal" fans just went and  :drink: in the parking lot or at their respective homes.  the students don't concern me all that much, they'll show up this year, I fully expect a full student section for OU, aTm, and probably ISU.

That being said, the thing that does concern me is the fact that the AD feels the need to charge $50  :sdeek: for crappy upper deck, upper corner seats. if those seats cost $25 instead of $50, I would have gone, a lot of people like me probably would have gone. It's hard for me to shell out $100+ gas and food and all that stuff, to go to a game and sit in seats that are about as far away from the field as you can get.

In my mind pricing should be this:
lower bowl: $50 ($60 for premium games)
NEZ $35 ($45)
First ten rows of east side and all of the rows at midfield ($35) ($45)
Upper corners $25 always, there's no way they should ever charge more than $25 for those seats, ever.

U do realize some of the upper deck seats require $1,000 minimun donation.  :dubious:

nope, but that is effing Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »

Is it?  Wear a KSU shirt in Central Texas and see how many blank stares you get until someone asks you why you're wearing a "Penn State shirt".

lolwut

have you even lived in central texas?

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
Check my GPS bro.