Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148756 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #975 on: November 29, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »
We have the best outside hitter in school history on this damned team, any way cats are gonna get freaking rolled. Susie succcckkkkkks

Dawn Cady (and probably Liz Wegner too) would like a word with you...

But, yes, Suzie is way past her prime.

Florida State - like our Cats - are coming into this match on a bad losing streak (lost 4 of last 6). But, they have better wins than we do and probably will win.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 29, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
We have the best outside hitter in school history on this damned team, any way cats are gonna get freaking rolled. Susie succcckkkkkks

No we don't. She's great though, but slow down. The greatest outside hitter in school history should be our next head coach.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:39:13 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 30, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
Don't think hitting .187 & .199 in back to back years qualifies for greatest in school history or for that matter comes even close. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 30, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »
Is this not going to even be on ESPN+?  :angry:

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 30, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Don't think hitting .187 & .199 in back to back years qualifies for greatest in school history or for that matter comes even close. 

To that point, I'm not sure this team can be terribly successful running virtually everything through Carter. I'm too lazy to look, but it'd be interesting to see her numbers split out against +.500 teams vs. -.500 teams. Obviously, anyone's numbers would go down, but I would guess a more sizable decrease in this case (especially on the % and hitting errors).

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 30, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »

To that point, I'm not sure this team can be terribly successful running virtually everything through Carter. I'm too lazy to look, but it'd be interesting to see her numbers split out against +.500 teams vs. -.500 teams. Obviously, anyone's numbers would go down, but I would guess a more sizable decrease in this case (especially on the % and hitting errors).
Fellas, still very new to volleyball advanced analytics please explain this to me like im 5

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 30, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »

Fellas, still very new to volleyball advanced analytics please explain this to me like im 5

Kills minus hitting errors divided by total attacks = hitting percentage.

As it relates to what's good, it varies by position. Generally, middles hit the highest followed by the opposite hitter and then the outside hitters.

People will argue about what is "good" but for a high volume OH like Carter, you'd like to see that hit percentage above .200 and, ideally, closer to .250. Anything above .250, I think you'd be thrilled.

If Suzie could diversify the offense a bit more, you'd see Carter's percentage increase as well. As it stands, she's the person who often gets stuck with attacks that have zero chance of being successful.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 30, 2021, 01:38:58 PM »

As it relates to what's good, it varies by position. Generally, middles hit the highest followed by the opposite hitter and then the outside hitters.

People will argue about what is "good" but for a high volume OH like Carter, you'd like to see that hit percentage above .200 and, ideally, closer to .250. Anything above .250, I think you'd be thrilled.

If Suzie could diversify the offense a bit more, you'd see Carter's percentage increase as well. As it stands, she's the person who often gets stuck with attacks that have zero chance of being successful.
Damn, thank you for this insight. I appreciate it! So best outside hitter in school history is?!

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 30, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »

Damn, thank you for this insight. I appreciate it! So best outside hitter in school history is?!

Like MIR said, it's Dawn Cady. And, it's a shame she isn't already our head coach.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 30, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »

Outside Hitters numbers also go way down with crap passing.  They get almost all of the out of system trash caused by a poor pass.  It requires you to play cooperatively vs aggressively.  Stat killer.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 30, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/kstatevb/status/1465787972306018312?s=21

Pretty cool!

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/kstatevb/status/1465787972306018312?s=21

Pretty cool!

May god bless her shoulder after 1130 swings.  Murder

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 30, 2021, 09:21:40 PM »
The thing I will say as it relates to Aaliyah and Dawn is that Dawn was on some incredible teams, completely stacked and balanced. Dirty Deeds did mention her number of attempts, which is unreal, but Aaliyah doesn't have anyone else on this team capable of attracting blockers. Our middles get disrespected because the blockers just camp out with Aaliyah and we just can't capitalize in the middle the way we need to.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 01, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
The thing I will say as it relates to Aaliyah and Dawn is that Dawn was on some incredible teams, completely stacked and balanced. Dirty Deeds did mention her number of attempts, which is unreal, but Aaliyah doesn't have anyone else on this team capable of attracting blockers. Our middles get disrespected because the blockers just camp out with Aaliyah and we just can't capitalize in the middle the way we need to.
.......and we pass like crap.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 01, 2021, 08:43:08 PM »

A skill Carter also really needs to work on...

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Volleyball
« Reply #990 on: December 01, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »

A skill Carter also really needs to work on...
The most difficult skill in the game by far.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »
The University of Kansas SHOCKED Oregon AND the world by winning in straight sets today in impressive fashion  :gocho:

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 03, 2021, 11:38:00 AM »
The University of Kansas SHOCKED Oregon AND the world by winning in straight sets today in impressive fashion  :gocho:
Intriguing matchup with one of the best Kansas athletes of all time Kendra Wait and her Creighton Bluejays up next.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 03, 2021, 06:25:22 PM »
Woof, that was brutal, we need to go in a new direction. That second set was simply awful.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 03, 2021, 07:09:10 PM »
I don't follow it closely enough to say if it's a joke or not that they made the NCAA tourney.

But they lost 5 straight matches to end the season.

So on the surface, it does seem like kind of a joke that they were in the NCAA tourney with a .375 conference winning %

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 03, 2021, 08:13:55 PM »
In women's sports the selection committees pretty much just select the tournaments based on RPI and based on that they belonged. Anyone with eyes would have thought this was not an at large tournament team.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 03, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 04, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »
Naturally, Suzie's mentor gets KU to the Sweet 16 with upsets of two top 20 teams.

And, presumably, Suzie will lose at least a couple of key players to the portal during the offseason.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 04, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
Naturally, Suzie's mentor gets KU to the Sweet 16 with upsets of two top 20 teams.

And, presumably, Suzie will lose at least a couple of key players to the portal during the offseason.
KU doing it with Kansas kids who had KSU bloodlines.  Embarrassing

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 04, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
Plenty of room on the KU S16 bandwagon, if y'all wanna hop on.