Author Topic: Wireless router recommendos  (Read 18521 times)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless router recommendos
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
:thumbs:

Good, splitting them into 2 names has kind of been a pain in the ass for everything else.

Pick me the most simple and effective thing for this project that is sold at Office Depot.  T-Y.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »

Good, splitting them into 2 names has kind of been a pain in the ass for everything else.

Pick me the most simple and effective thing for this project that is sold at Office Depot.  T-Y.

Strictly for this purpose? I would go cheap:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/138871/TP-Link-N300-Wireless-Wi-Fi/

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2019, 05:21:17 PM »
Cool, I think that’s the one I was thinking when this first came up Friday and is the one that’s 2.4 only, which should work great for this specifically.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
Oh hey this reminded me, in the course of moving a couple months ago I found a little bag with dart tips and stuff for that blacklight dart board I think you got either at anFattyFest or my purge of stuff when I moved from Kansas. I’ll find it again and bring it to FattyFest.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:48 AM »
Oh hey this reminded me, in the course of moving a couple months ago I found a little bag with dart tips and stuff for that blacklight dart board I think you got either at anFattyFest or my purge of stuff when I moved from Kansas. I’ll find it again and bring it to FattyFest.

Nobody in my house will own up to it but I have a theory that someone was working on their spirals and hurled a football at that thing a while back and pretty much destroyed it.   :cry:

Whatever happened I am sure it went down in a blaze of glory.   So you can do what you want with those tips.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2019, 08:17:33 PM »
Bought that extender, reverted my wifi bands to having the same name and password and tested a bit.  Looks like it'll work but I don't have time tonight to have this going for 6 hours to see if it sticks.

I'm getting the sense that I WILL need to go back to segregating the bands.  When I'm moving around my place, my phone loses the wifi connection at times, and I think maybe that it's going from the 5.0 it's on normally to the 2.4 as I get closer to where the extender is.  I need my phone to be on the same 2.4 band as the smoker to keep control over it, so I'm thinking if I segregate them I can specify my phone to stay on the 2.4 and not have it bouncing around and losing connect with the smoker.  Pretend I'm not a main administrator and advise if that make sense.

I'm gonna at least stay as is until my first attempt to make something, but kind of want to know if that will be the quick fix should I need it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2019, 06:32:15 AM »
Google Wifi mesh irl will solve this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »
Bought that extender, reverted my wifi bands to having the same name and password and tested a bit.  Looks like it'll work but I don't have time tonight to have this going for 6 hours to see if it sticks.

I'm getting the sense that I WILL need to go back to segregating the bands.  When I'm moving around my place, my phone loses the wifi connection at times, and I think maybe that it's going from the 5.0 it's on normally to the 2.4 as I get closer to where the extender is.  I need my phone to be on the same 2.4 band as the smoker to keep control over it, so I'm thinking if I segregate them I can specify my phone to stay on the 2.4 and not have it bouncing around and losing connect with the smoker.  Pretend I'm not a main administrator and advise if that make sense.

I'm gonna at least stay as is until my first attempt to make something, but kind of want to know if that will be the quick fix should I need it.

You don't need to be on the same band as the smoker.
Without knowing what kind of signal strength you have in these areas its hard to say exactly what your issue is.  2.4 kind of sucks and you run into alot of issues in regards to interference  with that band compared to 5 ghz.  Microwaves are notorious for causing problems in 2.4. 

Are you an iphone or android guy?  There are wifi scanner apps out there that will show you signal strength for each band and that can help identify if the problem is signal strength related or not. 

Wifi Analyzer for Android (free)
Network Analyzer for iOS (3.99) 

running that will give you a sense of what kind of signal issues you have. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
You don't need to be on the same band as the smoker.
Without knowing what kind of signal strength you have in these areas its hard to say exactly what your issue is.  2.4 kind of sucks and you run into alot of issues in regards to interference  with that band compared to 5 ghz.  Microwaves are notorious for causing problems in 2.4. 

Are you an iphone or android guy?  There are wifi scanner apps out there that will show you signal strength for each band and that can help identify if the problem is signal strength related or not. 

Wifi Analyzer for Android (free)
Network Analyzer for iOS (3.99) 

running that will give you a sense of what kind of signal issues you have. 

If that first part is correct, then I think the problem is solved.  As far as I could tell yesterday, I was staying connected despite me and my phone moving around and presumably switching between 2.4 and 5, but I didn't test it for more than a couple minutes.  I was just expecting I might have the problem over the course of 4-8 hours.

Am I misreading or mishearing what the grill people are telling me, or are they just dumb/liars?

I guess I could still see there being some benefit to segregating the bands if my phone keeps flopping between bands as I get closer to the balcony where the extender is and cutting out my connection momentarily, but I'll burn that bridge and light the way if I keep coming to it.

Other than this grill, I've had no range/signal issues.  I've got all new crap from Xfinity and it's a 1-bedroom condo that's like 1/4 the size of a house that might need all extenders, mesh, etc. for normal stuff.  But I did happen to download that wifi analyzer app yesterday; my buddy who's coming over Saturday for a test run on the grill while we finish off all the remaining 2-person tasks I need to do to finish being moved in told me to get it so we can test if necessary.  But I think this ticket is on the verge of being closed.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
Not sure if it's possible on your extender, but could you mac address filter the extender so that only your grille would link to it?  basically banning your phone from connecting to it?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »
Not sure if it's possible on your extender, but could you mac address filter the extender so that only your grille would link to it?  basically banning your phone from connecting to it?

:combofan:

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
If that first part is correct, then I think the problem is solved.  As far as I could tell yesterday, I was staying connected despite me and my phone moving around and presumably switching between 2.4 and 5, but I didn't test it for more than a couple minutes.  I was just expecting I might have the problem over the course of 4-8 hours.

The only reason both devices would need to be on the same channel would be if the communication went like this:

phone -> smoker

since it's this:
phone -> wireless router -> repeater -> smoker
no concerns

Am I misreading or mishearing what the grill people are telling me, or are they just dumb/liars?

Well I mean Traeger did post that split name nonsense publicly on their web site so.....

1-bedroom condo that's like 1/4 the size of a house that might need all extenders, mesh, etc. for normal stuff.  But I did happen to download that wifi analyzer app yesterday; my buddy who's coming over Saturday for a test run on the grill while we finish off all the remaining 2-person tasks I need to do to finish being moved in told me to get it so we can test if necessary.  But I think this ticket is on the verge of being closed.
Yeah I would assume you are probably right but it's never a bad idea to do a walk through to see what kind of signal you get.  Also if it's a condo and there are other wifi routers in the building within earshot of yours they could all be contending for the same airtime so knowing what channels are being used and not used is good info.  Phones are great to test with because they generally have the lowest power radios of any device you will see in your home (Laptops have higher power radios compared to phones and other iOT devices (like that grill)

Ideally you want to see a received signal strength better than -70 everywhere with the best strengths trending towards zero (-60 -50 RSSI etc)  Where this falls is key to the kind of speeds you will see as the worse the signal gets the more the data rate goes down and speed slows to a crawl.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »

I mean, seriously. There is no reason for the rest of these posts to exist.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
Also may need to change the channel that your wifi is broadcasting on too if others are similar. 
@mikec2w

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »

The only reason both devices would need to be on the same channel would be if the communication went like this:

phone -> smoker

since it's this:
phone -> wireless router -> repeater -> smoker
no concerns

Well I mean Traeger did post that split name nonsense publicly on their web site so.....

1-bedroom condo that's like 1/4 the size of a house that might need all extenders, mesh, etc. for normal stuff.  But I did happen to download that wifi analyzer app yesterday; my buddy who's coming over Saturday for a test run on the grill while we finish off all the remaining 2-person tasks I need to do to finish being moved in told me to get it so we can test if necessary.  But I think this ticket is on the verge of being closed.
Yeah I would assume you are probably right but it's never a bad idea to do a walk through to see what kind of signal you get.  Also if it's a condo and there are other wifi routers in the building within earshot of yours they could all be contending for the same airtime so knowing what channels are being used and not used is good info.  Phones are great to test with because they generally have the lowest power radios of any device you will see in your home (Laptops have higher power radios compared to phones and other iOT devices (like that grill)

Ideally you want to see a received signal strength better than -70 everywhere with the best strengths trending towards zero (-60 -50 RSSI etc)  Where this falls is key to the kind of speeds you will see as the worse the signal gets the more the data rate goes down and speed slows to a crawl.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »

BLOCKED

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
Also may need to change the channel that your wifi is broadcasting on too if others are similar. 

Cool, these are all things I vaguely understand and match what the irl person who will be here Saturday was saying. I think I have everything we’ll need to knock this out.

Also just occurred to me that if any of this smoker/extender stuff is causing any non-smoker things to be janky, I could simply unplug the range extender all the time I’m not smoking.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »

BLOCKED

Yeah, I looked at that stuff and I’m not putting all that in a place I can hoverboard through in under 10 seconds.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Wireless router recommendos
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »

Because I KNOW everyone is just waiting for me to talk about it more...mesh networks are being explored for Bitcoin in censorship resistent countries as the last mile.  Like in places like North Korea and China.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:56 AM »
i need stronger signal on my third floor and toward the back door of my first floor. mesh wifi systems recently exploded into my awareness and i'm leaning toward Nest Wifi Mesh Router.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »
This guy works well for me.  The only issue is the extenders don't have an ethernet plug on them if you have anything you need to hardwire.  No idea if it's better than what you're looking at but I like it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-velop-ac1300-dual-band-mesh-wi-fi-5-system-3-pack-white/6215341.p?skuId=6215341&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1101&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x3h6guLDb3QRsc7W2QCtN4EAKScBeJzDnQKVGQKJjS9Gja4Hvi-WdxoC-GYQAvD_BwE&gc

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2021, 09:04:59 AM »
i need stronger signal on my third floor and toward the back door of my first floor. mesh wifi systems recently exploded into my awareness and i'm leaning toward Nest Wifi Mesh Router.
I have this with three adnl mesh points (one wired) and it rules.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
Third floor??? Why not have the estate's IT department take care of it?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2021, 02:15:19 PM »

this has probably been answered itt, but do the three mesh points all use the same network and password? like, i don't have to connect to a different network to use the separate mesh points, correct?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »

this has probably been answered itt, but do the three mesh points all use the same network and password? like, i don't have to connect to a different network to use the separate mesh points, correct?

no, it's very seamless. there is no difference than having just one router from an experience standpoint (other than more range obviously). I even unplugged one that my wife was using for a video call the other day and her call never dropped or stuttered. just switched over to the next best signal and kept going. you can check on the app which one you are connected to and what the signal strength is to move them around to optimize the spot for them. I have a wired one on the second floor and a wired one on the main floor hooked to the modem. wireless one plugged in next to my kids switch in the family room and a wireless one in the basement. we probably don't need 4 and three would be just fine but we have that many so I'm using that many.