Author Topic: What are your must have guns.....  (Read 8623 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: What are your must have guns.....
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2021, 06:06:04 PM »
Animals I’ve murdered with a gun that I can think of right now:

Sparrow
Black bird
Meadowlark
Quail
Pheasant (boy and highly illegal girl)
Mallard duck
Dove
Prairie dog
Coyote
Rabbit (jack and cotton)
Squirrel
Snapping turtle
Bull frog
Rattle snake
Cow

None of these after the age of 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2021, 06:22:44 PM »
I think "guns are cool and fun" is a perfectly fine reason to own guns, because at least it's honest
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:34:10 PM by michigancat »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2021, 06:23:43 PM »
i wanted to go cow hunting when i was a younger lad, but never had the balls.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:44 PM »
Another honest reason is what if three escaped prisoners are stealing your trucks and you need to run out and blast’em so they flip your truck

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:20 PM »
Another honest reason is what if three escaped prisoners are stealing your trucks and you need to run out and blast’em so they flip your truck

I choose to prepare for shooting at fleeing escaped prisoners in my farm pickup for the same reason I buckle my seatbelt.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
Amazing algos

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
I currently have 3 shotguns that are my father in law's property hiding unloaded in my storage room.  This is the most gun interaction I have had since shooting clay pigeons (missing clay pigeons) and shooting a rifle at 4-H camp.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »
since shooting clay pigeons (missing clay pigeons) and shooting a rifle at 4-H camp.

:bball: I did this too, they didn't tell me what bird shot was. In fact I didn't know bird shot was a thing until like 3 or 4 years ago. I thought those guys on ESPN trap shooting when I was a kid were hitting those clay pigeons with a single bullet.

Side note I just got a buddy of mine a job as the director of operations at Rock Springs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
I just thought it was amusing. How much of the good stuff that you've never used do you keep on hand?
I wouldn't even consider myself a "gun guy" but I keep a box or two of the "good stuff" Hydra-shok in 9mm. But range ammo which is full metal jacket I usually buy in bulk packs (1000 to 1500 round). Usually reup when I get to around 250 rounds. .223 for the AR-15 is the same. A box or two of hollow points for if I ever go coyote hunting and buy 3000 round bulk packs of FMJ for target shooting. I also have a AR-10 which is an AR-15 platform but in .308. I only shoot the "good stuff" in it that is ballistically matched to the reticle of the scope and keep about 200 rounds of it.

This may sound like a lot of ammo but it really isn't at all. Usually a range day with my 9mm I will go through 150 to 200 rounds. The .223 an average range session is 200 rounds or so and the .308 will be around 100.

This is the sort of insider info I come to gE for

I'm thinking about buying a gun for fun.  I really like shooting them.

I had a thread about this a few years ago and gE decided I should not buy one, probably the best decision
I believe that every house hold should have either a handgun or shotgun for home defense depending on your comfort with guns and kid situation. An AR is not a home defense weapon. It is a corvette of guns. Fun to shoot but not really practical for anything other than mass murder.

Edit: I don't feel people should even be allowed to own AR-15 type weapons. I own them because I can. If they were banned tomorrow and there was confiscation (which there never will be) all I would ask is that there be a fair market value buy back and I would be first in line to turn mine in.

Gun guys and gals with kids, how do you convince yourself that you can properly lock your crap up then get to it in the middle of the night if someone is coming into your house and your adrenaline is higher than it's ever been in your life. Seems like executing this flawlessly is even more remote than someone coming into your house while you're there.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2021, 08:19:04 PM »
Exactly. The odds are absurd.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »
I'm not going to act like some genius here. This summer during the black lives matter protests, amazing how that works right, white people who never see black people scooped up a bunch of guns because they were scared, imagine how black people felt around a bunch of white suburbanites who are all of a sudden much more vocal about black people feel, anyway during this time I asked my wife about getting a handgun, and she made this argument to me.

That damn thing would have been a paperweight, no chance I'd practice with it or bother with whatever you have r do to get ammo.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2021, 08:38:31 PM »
My little loaded gun has been in its case so long, I'm afraid it'll be like stiff or jammed or something and not work and/or that I won't remember how to use it.  I don't even open the case.  I kept planning to go with my gun guy friend to a gun place and have them give it a tune-up or whatever and relearn it, but now that'll have to be after COVID.

I should probably sell it, because more than likely that cycle will repeat itself every time.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
I miss EPAW.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
I just thought it was amusing. How much of the good stuff that you've never used do you keep on hand?
I wouldn't even consider myself a "gun guy" but I keep a box or two of the "good stuff" Hydra-shok in 9mm. But range ammo which is full metal jacket I usually buy in bulk packs (1000 to 1500 round). Usually reup when I get to around 250 rounds. .223 for the AR-15 is the same. A box or two of hollow points for if I ever go coyote hunting and buy 3000 round bulk packs of FMJ for target shooting. I also have a AR-10 which is an AR-15 platform but in .308. I only shoot the "good stuff" in it that is ballistically matched to the reticle of the scope and keep about 200 rounds of it.

This may sound like a lot of ammo but it really isn't at all. Usually a range day with my 9mm I will go through 150 to 200 rounds. The .223 an average range session is 200 rounds or so and the .308 will be around 100.

I had a thread about this a few years ago and gE decided I should not buy one, probably the best decision
I believe that every house hold should have either a handgun or shotgun for home defense depending on your comfort with guns and kid situation. An AR is not a home defense weapon. It is a corvette of guns. Fun to shoot but not really practical for anything other than mass murder.

Edit: I don't feel people should even be allowed to own AR-15 type weapons. I own them because I can. If they were banned tomorrow and there was confiscation (which there never will be) all I would ask is that there be a fair market value buy back and I would be first in line to turn mine in.

Gun guys and gals with kids, how do you convince yourself that you can properly lock your crap up then get to it in the middle of the night if someone is coming into your house and your adrenaline is higher than it's ever been in your life. Seems like executing this flawlessly is even more remote than someone coming into your house while you're there.

I can’t speak for all the gun guys/gals but I don’t own mine for a potential home invasion. They make really good bed side safes for handguns though that kids can’t get into and are easy to open for the person they are intended for.  Probably a few folks here that could effectively put someone down with their weapon quickly and effectively but 99% of us are better off with a cellphone and dialing 911. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
I’ve blasted a cotton jack rabbit with a .410 running full out from like 30 yards so I feel pretty good about being able to put some shot through my own truck that’s being driven off by escaped bad guys making them do a flip in it if it came to it.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2021, 09:49:15 PM »

I already said, but I have a safe in my headboard that can only be opened with my fingerprint. If someone broke in extremely quietly and my wife's crappy dog stayed quiet, it wouldn't matter. But if I woke, I'd have the gun within 5-10 seconds.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »

I already said, but I have a safe in my headboard that can only be opened with my fingerprint. If someone broke in extremely quietly and my wife's crappy dog stayed quiet, it wouldn't matter. But if I woke, I'd have the gun within 5-10 seconds.

Do you keep it loaded in that safe? This is the second of multiple questions I'm going to have btw.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2021, 10:41:19 PM »

Do you keep it loaded in that safe? This is the second of multiple questions I'm going to have btw.
Yea, magazine is in and loaded but not a round in the chamber. There's really no reason for me not to, but let's imagine a scenario where my 3yo somehow gets in my safe. She wouldn't be strong enough to chamber a round. And it will only add half a second to my time to draw if needed.

Also, the click-click of any pistol or pump shotgun is universally known. If an intruder bolts, then nobody gets shot. You hear footsteps come towards the bedrooms, well you know their intentions (not to steal a tv).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2021, 10:48:55 PM »
When my friends dad passed away a couple of years ago he asked if he could keep his guns at my house since he has small children. My friend told me they were 3 .22's and dropped them off one day and I put them on the shelf in the basement where they sat for about a year.

Last winter I finally decided to check them out and realized one of them was a Ruger mini 14 that shoots .223. I've taken it out to the cat ranch a couple of times to pew pew and its pretty fun to shoot but like many in this thread have pointed out it costs about $1 per round these days.

My friend also left an old lever action .22 that is now my favorite pew pew'n gun. When my brother and I were staying at the cat ranch last spring we would fill empty beer cans with dirt and line them up. He would start from the left and I would start from the right and we would see who could knock them all over and get to the middle first with our .22's.

10/10 good times.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »
I also bought a box of clays and a hand tosser thing so we could blast those with shotguns, good times.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2021, 11:03:10 PM »
Ben Ji's dad has not shot a gun in maybe 20 years but keeps buying them because Y2K/OBAMA/2012/YELLOWSTONE ERUPTION so we get to shoot those as well. Mainly your normal ass rifles but he did buy a surplus USSR Mosin-Nagat that is probably the coolest just because its different.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »
When my brother and I were staying at the cat ranch last spring we would fill empty beer cans with dirt and line them up. He would start from the left and I would start from the right and we would see who could knock them all over and get to the middle first with our .22's.

if possible, it would be advisable if you could find a spot to deposit your lead that was farther from water.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
When my brother and I were staying at the cat ranch last spring we would fill empty beer cans with dirt and line them up. He would start from the left and I would start from the right and we would see who could knock them all over and get to the middle first with our .22's.

if possible, it would be advisable if you could find a spot to deposit your lead that was farther from water.

I've actually thought about that since I started hunting and learned about steel shot etc. Thats where my dad always took us to pew pew but I'm sure I can find a different spot away from the "Creek"  :cheers:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2021, 11:22:56 PM »
nice.