Author Topic: What are your must have guns.....  (Read 8674 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: What are your must have guns.....
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 11:22:25 AM »
Admitted gun dummy here, but isn't there a chance of defective ammo blowing up in your gun?   I've never heard of target ammo and self defense ammo. Not saying it's not a thing just not something my dad ever taught me growing up.
I think it's just a situation where it does not fire at all. It's not like they accidentally overloaded it with gun chowder or something. No way they would sell it if it might hurt you due to defects.

You can use whatever ammo you want at the range or to kill your wife's lover. They both will put holes in a paper target or big dick Philip. But hollow points make a bigger hole in things 60% water and less likely to go through the body and hitting something you don't want dead (like that sweet new black friday flat screen). And since hollow points cost more, most people will shoot cheaper ammo at the range.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
No I don't, that's why I'm asking! (admittedly in a light-hearted ribbing fashion)

Rifles and shotguns and crap make sense to have multiple ammo types, but handguns pretty much only have one application (outside of killing people) so what is the other stuff for?
I'm not a gun expert either, but there are several options with ammo for a given caliber. As I mentioned, a big one is hollow point vs full metal jacket. Then there are grains (weight of the bullet), and even different pressures of the ammo (more bang).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
Admitted gun dummy here, but isn't there a chance of defective ammo blowing up in your gun?   I've never heard of target ammo and self defense ammo. Not saying it's not a thing just not something my dad ever taught me growing up.
If you have a properly working modern firearm and use ammo that is made by a legit manufacturer or competent reloader, the chance of your gun blowing up is zero.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
What if you are using explosive ammo that is designed to blow things up?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
I have two boxes of 16 gauge goose loads in mint condition. How much can I sell these bad boys for in this market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
I have two boxes of 16 gauge goose loads in mint condition. How much can I sell these bad boys for in this market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone is funna be a bitcoin king soon

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »
the venn diagram of people who enjoy owning lots of rental properties and referring to them as "doors", and people who enjoy owning lots of guns and can differentiate between "practice ammo" and "self defense ammo" has got to have a lot of overlap

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 12:25:42 PM »
the venn diagram of people who enjoy owning lots of rental properties and referring to them as "doors", and people who enjoy owning lots of guns and can differentiate between "practice ammo" and "self defense ammo" has got to have a lot of overlap

I didn't realize I was a gun totin' douche bag, yet here I am. :lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 12:45:02 PM »

I didn't realize I was a gun totin' property owner, yet here I am. :lol:

hopefully you never have to Judge one of your tenants

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a gun for fun.  I really like shooting them.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »

I didn't realize I was a gun totin' property owner, yet here I am. :lol:

hopefully you never have to Judge one of your tenants
FWIW I don't know or ever interact with most tenants. The ones I do, I have a good relationship with. I also don't carry a gun, nor ever deal with tenants face to face if there are problems. Landlords have been killed when asking for rent. No thanks!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 01:42:37 PM »
should wait a bit until they start to creep back down. they are insane right now as well

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
Everybody buy up your AK-47's.  It will protect you and your family when the Russians, Chinese, and Arabs invade our country on the ground.  Don't forget to stock up on the chemical warfare fighting bullets.

No dumbass. It isn't the Russians and Arabs we will be fighting. We need them to fight our own military which is way stronger and has more tanks and stuff than those places. Its right there in the constitution that has never changed!!!!

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
I just thought it was amusing. How much of the good stuff that you've never used do you keep on hand?
I wouldn't even consider myself a "gun guy" but I keep a box or two of the "good stuff" Hydra-shok in 9mm. But range ammo which is full metal jacket I usually buy in bulk packs (1000 to 1500 round). Usually reup when I get to around 250 rounds. .223 for the AR-15 is the same. A box or two of hollow points for if I ever go coyote hunting and buy 3000 round bulk packs of FMJ for target shooting. I also have a AR-10 which is an AR-15 platform but in .308. I only shoot the "good stuff" in it that is ballistically matched to the reticle of the scope and keep about 200 rounds of it.

This may sound like a lot of ammo but it really isn't at all. Usually a range day with my 9mm I will go through 150 to 200 rounds. The .223 an average range session is 200 rounds or so and the .308 will be around 100.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 03:46:45 PM by Gooch »

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »
Sounds more expensive than golf.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2021, 03:43:28 PM »
It usually just jams because the casings over expand and get stuck in the chamber or the slide closes and catches the casing before the ejector clears it from the breach.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2021, 03:45:42 PM »
It can be very expensive, particularly with ammo prices right now. I checked ammo prices for the Ar15 (.223 and 5.56) the other day and I think the cheapest per round price was almost 90 cents. You'd spend less at a strip club.

Edit: Rechecked, 223 can be had for $0.765 each.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2021, 03:49:22 PM »
It can be very expensive, particularly with ammo prices right now. I checked ammo prices for the Ar15 (.223 and 5.56) the other day and I think the cheapest per round price was almost 90 cents. You'd spend less at a strip club.
O
Holy crap! I haven't gotten the rifles out in over a year. Last price I paid was around $.31 for .223.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2021, 03:53:31 PM »
O
Holy crap! I haven't gotten the rifles out in over a year. Last price I paid was around $.31 for .223.
Yea, I might buy a little just because I'll want to shoot a new gun. But the gun will likely spend a lot of time in the closet collecting dust before I shoot it much. Prices are bonkers right now.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »

Democrats winning elections are the best things ever for the gun industry.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 03:57:20 PM »
Only gun I need is the one swinging between my legs.

FTR, I always thought taxing the ever living crap outta ammo like Chris Rock suggested was a great way to have gun control w/o controlling guns. I would though wave said tax for ammo bought and discharged at licensed gun ranges.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »

Democrats winning elections are the best things ever for the gun industry.
That's part of it, but it's more of a perfect storm scenario. Prices already escalated with covid, then a bunch more after George Floyd riots started, and now a Democrat president.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 04:02:54 PM »
I just thought it was amusing. How much of the good stuff that you've never used do you keep on hand?
I wouldn't even consider myself a "gun guy" but I keep a box or two of the "good stuff" Hydra-shok in 9mm. But range ammo which is full metal jacket I usually buy in bulk packs (1000 to 1500 round). Usually reup when I get to around 250 rounds. .223 for the AR-15 is the same. A box or two of hollow points for if I ever go coyote hunting and buy 3000 round bulk packs of FMJ for target shooting. I also have a AR-10 which is an AR-15 platform but in .308. I only shoot the "good stuff" in it that is ballistically matched to the reticle of the scope and keep about 200 rounds of it.

This may sound like a lot of ammo but it really isn't at all. Usually a range day with my 9mm I will go through 150 to 200 rounds. The .223 an average range session is 200 rounds or so and the .308 will be around 100.

This is the sort of insider info I come to gE for

I had a thread about this a few years ago and gE decided I should not buy one, probably the best decision
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 04:13:58 PM »

This is the sort of insider info I come to gE for

I had a thread about this a few years ago and gE decided I should not buy one, probably the best decision
I believe that every house hold should have either a handgun or shotgun for home defense depending on your comfort with guns and kid situation. An AR is not a home defense weapon. It is a corvette of guns. Fun to shoot but not really practical for anything other than mass murder.

Edit: I don't feel people should even be allowed to own AR-15 type weapons. I own them because I can. If they were banned tomorrow and there was confiscation (which there never will be) all I would ask is that there be a fair market value buy back and I would be first in line to turn mine in.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:22:05 PM by Gooch »

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »
I've almost purchased an AR-15 in .223/5.56 about 100 times, but no matter how bad I want one I keep coming up with the same conclusion. They seem a pointless waste of money.

1. Too small to reliably hunt medium-large game (.308, .30-06, etc. more practical)
2. Not really meant for long range (.308 or 6.65 more practical)
3. Can require close range/precise shot placement to hunt large hogs
4. If you don't hit your target in the first few shots you likely won't have anything left to shoot at anyway, so why 30 rounds?
5. Shotgun with birdshot and slug mix is a better/safer home defense option
6. If they (or their ammo) are outlawed you can't legally shoot them at ranges or use them for hunting. Not sure what happens if you use them for self defense. It's great to be alive, but then what?
7. The ammo is cheap, but .22LR is cheaper, plentiful, and legal

I then looked at AR-10's, but with their weight at full capacity and expense (purchase price, ammo) I just decided I'd stick with traditional hunting rifles.