Author Topic: What are your must have guns.....  (Read 8692 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What are your must have guns.....
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »
I've almost purchased an AR-15 in .223/5.56 about 100 times, but no matter how bad I want one I keep coming up with the same conclusion. They seem a pointless waste of money.

1. Too small to reliably hunt medium-large game (.308, .30-06, etc. more practical)
2. Not really meant for long range (.308 or 6.65 more practical)
3. Can require close range/precise shot placement to hunt large hogs
4. If you don't hit your target in the first few shots you likely won't have anything left to shoot at anyway, so why 30 rounds?
5. Shotgun with birdshot and slug mix is a better/safer home defense option
6. If they (or their ammo) are outlawed you can't legally shoot them at ranges or use them for hunting. Not sure what happens if you use them for self defense. It's great to be alive, but then what?
7. The ammo is cheap, but .22LR is cheaper, plentiful, and legal

I then looked at AR-10's, but with their weight at full capacity and expense (purchase price, ammo) I just decided I'd stick with traditional hunting rifles.
AR-10s are super heavy and expensive. I bought a lower middle priced one and it was $1700. The weight doesn't really bother me because I'll never be carrying it around. It is strictly a bench rifle with a bi-pod.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2021, 05:05:14 PM »
Can't you pretty easily swap out an Ar15 upper to 308 to shoot deer?

I'm not much of a hunter to begin with, mine will just be a toy, but thought I might do this if I decide I want a deer.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »

depending on your comfort with guns and kid situation.

There was a kid from my home town who was playing at home with a friend of his (they were alone in the house) and they got into the gun cabinet and his friend shot him in the neck at close range.  Both of the kids lived in households with guns.  The shooter's family kept the guns unloaded, the shootee's family kept 'em loaded.  Thank God the shooter wasn't a very good shot and "missed".

Kid was paralyzed from the neck down before he was even a teenager, suffered from horrible depression, and tried to commit suicide multiple times by driving his wheelchair on to the train tracks going through town.  He eventually ended up dying before the age of 40 because he was home alone during a power outage one day and his breathing apparatus stopped working.  He suffocated to death, and knew it was happening and couldn't do anything about it.  His caretaker stopped by to check in on him to find him there dead.

It is a small town and everybody knew everybody else.  The kid was probably the nicest kid you could know and was best friends with everyone.  It was a goddamn tragedy what happened.

Ever since I've had very little use for guns in the house.  Always will.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2021, 05:34:37 PM »
if someone breaks into my house they probably just want to rob me and like yeah help yourself dude

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »
if someone breaks into my house they probably just want to rob me and like yeah help yourself dude

Yeah, this is what ultimately keeps me from buying a gun. The fear that it would be stolen and used for a murder is much greater than being concerned about needing any home defense.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 07:42:15 PM »
I've learned and tried to relay to my old man that things are replaceable but people aren't. Nothing in my home other than my family is worth killing someone over. Also why my gun is locked in a safe and only I know where the key is.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »
My most must have gun is a Remington 16 gauge auto. Carries like a 20, shoots like a 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2021, 07:55:33 PM »
I've learned and tried to relay to my old man that things are replaceable but people aren't. Nothing in my home other than my family is worth killing someone over. Also why my gun is locked in a safe and only I know where the key is.
I agree, but I have a wife and young daughter. I hope like hell to never to be faced with the decision, but if someone breaks into my house they will likely get shot. I can't guess wrongly that they only want my TV in that scenario.

My shotgun is simply in a zip up case unloaded. My daughter is so young/small it would be about impossible for her to hurt herself with that, but I'll need to put it somewhere more secure soon enough. My pistol is loaded in a biometric safe by my head at night. My finger print is the only thing that opens it.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
i don't understand people that shoot a lot.  i'm pretty sure that i've only fired one bullet that didn't kill an animal (unfortunately does not also hold true of shells).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
sys how did you get so good at shooting animals without practicing? That's an incredible hit rate

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
Practice makes perfect. I probably put 400 rounds through my 9 mm. I shot it until I was comfortable with the trigger pull and I was accurate. now it rests next to my pillow while I sleep.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2021, 03:47:08 PM »

depending on your comfort with guns and kid situation.

There was a kid from my home town who was playing at home with a friend of his (they were alone in the house) and they got into the gun cabinet and his friend shot him in the neck at close range.  Both of the kids lived in households with guns.  The shooter's family kept the guns unloaded, the shootee's family kept 'em loaded.  Thank God the shooter wasn't a very good shot and "missed".

Kid was paralyzed from the neck down before he was even a teenager, suffered from horrible depression, and tried to commit suicide multiple times by driving his wheelchair on to the train tracks going through town.  He eventually ended up dying before the age of 40 because he was home alone during a power outage one day and his breathing apparatus stopped working.  He suffocated to death, and knew it was happening and couldn't do anything about it.  His caretaker stopped by to check in on him to find him there dead.

It is a small town and everybody knew everybody else.  The kid was probably the nicest kid you could know and was best friends with everyone.  It was a goddamn tragedy what happened.

Ever since I've had very little use for guns in the house.  Always will.
That's absolutely horrible.

Yeah, this is what ultimately keeps me from buying a gun. The fear that it would be stolen and used for a murder is much greater than being concerned about needing any home defense.
A guy that went to high school with my sister came home from work one night and a hitchhiker had gotten into his house (small-town, don't need to lock your house, etc) and found a pistol that he kept in his bedroom. He was slaughtered in his own bathroom by the intruder. Just a horrible, senseless waste of a young life.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
I own a gun, but I don’t really understand the subset of gun people who think there is a 35% chance a violent criminal is going to break into their house at some point
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
one time some poster posted some obviously ridiculous stat about percent of people who use their guns in self defense or to protect their house against intruders or something ridiculous. it was so obviously false it blew my mind and we all laughed at them. someone find that post. and, if it was you who posted it, know that we are just laughing with you and not directly at you. it was a simpler time and we were all young.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 03:55:19 PM »
I own a gun, but I don’t really understand the subset of gun people who think there is a 35% chance a violent criminal is going to break into their house at some point
My b-i-l used to teach concealed carry classes. The amount of time and money that people spend preparing for the remote possibility that they might be in a gun battle with another human seems out of proportion to the actual risk (unless you operate a gas station along I-70 or something). I guess it is the same psychology that makes people afraid of dying in a terrorist attack when they are much more likely to die from diabetes or a car wreck, etc.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
one time some poster posted some obviously ridiculous stat about percent of people who use their guns in self defense or to protect their house against intruders or something ridiculous. it was so obviously false it blew my mind and we all laughed at them. someone find that post. and, if it was you who posted it, know that we are just laughing with you and not directly at you. it was a simpler time and we were all young.
you could probably find them on the World Forum at kso right now (should you wish to punish yourself in that manner).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2021, 03:57:38 PM »
also, I've posted this a few times, but my dad has irl had 3 escaped prisoners break into our trucks and try to drive off with them and he fired his gun at them (don't know if that was a good idea tbh) and they flipped over his truck and ran away on foot and a helicopter came in to search for them and it was a pretty big deal.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »
I don't conceal carry and am not very worried I will need a gun for protection. I'd just rather have one if I need it over not having one when I do. It's also unlikely I'm ever in a serious vehicle wreck, but I still buckle up, always.

I understand people thinking it's silly, but we all have different levels of precautions we take for unlikely events.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2021, 04:03:00 PM »
I don't conceal carry and am not very worried I will need a gun for protection. I'd just rather have one if I need it over not having one when I do. It's also unlikely I'm ever in a serious vehicle wreck, but I still buckle up, always.

I understand people thinking it's silly, but we all have different levels of precautions we take for unlikely events.
:cheers:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
I carry death insurance too. Costs way more than my gun did.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2021, 04:12:15 PM »
These are some really hilarious comparos guys

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
I spent maybe $500 total between ammunition and my handgun. I don't see it's a big deal but whatever

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2021, 04:17:02 PM »
I spent maybe $500 total between ammunition and my handgun. I don't see it's a big deal but whatever

I don’t think a single person in this thread is making it a big deal. I support all the stuff that has been posted (recently anyway, didn’t go back in the thread). only you know what’s best for you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »

I mean as sd alluded, that's a pretty silly risk assessment comparison.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »

I mean as sd alluded, that's a pretty silly risk assessment comparison.
Then you missed my point entirely. I thought the second paragraph explained it, guess not.