Author Topic: auto purchase sug.(not to be confused with hundreds of other sd request threads)  (Read 40787 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
buying an SUV/Crossover.  current options are Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Wrangler Sahara 4 door, Mercedes GLK, Audi Q5, other.  Anyone own any of these or have recommendations for other similar sized/priced options?  Anyone work at a dealership that wants to sell me one?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
can you describe your must haves and reasons for wanting said vehicle. TIA
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
buying an SUV/Crossover.  current options are Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Wrangler Sahara 4 door, Mercedes GLK, Audi Q5, other.  Anyone own any of these or have recommendations for other similar sized/priced options?  Anyone work at a dealership that wants to sell me one?

Don't buy a Jeep unless you want it to be in the shop all of the time.

Or I guess if you are  :kstategrad:, go ahead, buy the Jeep.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
A typical SD request, this thing will get to about 3 pages and then crap out because SD has to "think it over" or he'll lose interest and no SUV/crossover will ever be bought, that being said

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
oh also subaru's they look cool and people who buy them love them, I think
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oh also subaru's they look cool and people who buy them love them, I think

hmmmm

also eff you TopekaCat

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I had a 97 Sahara and loved it.  LOVED IT.  was the best vehicle I ever owned.  Prolly the reason why I have a soft spot for them.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i love my forester

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

want something that gets around in the snow well.  tired of getting our sedans stuck in deep snow. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

want something that gets around in the snow well.  tired of getting our sedans stuck in deep snow. 

k.  thought you might be doing something drastic like planning on having a baby.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
I like my Xterra and my wifes Subaru Tribeca  :dunno:

Would prob never spend more than $35k on a car though.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Had a Grand Cherokee in college.

Loved it.

The new body style is pretty cool too.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Had a Grand Cherokee in college.

Loved it.

The new body style is pretty cool too.

We went an sat in a new one.  amazing interior. 

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Since SD will never decide, I am considering an Infiniti G37 coupe AWD, please advise

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
I've always thought the acura mdx's looked very sharp, big, but not to huge that it's a pain to drive around or the lexus rx look nice too
I'm purple down

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Cars, and car payments, completely suck ass.  You will regret any "new car" purchase you make within 3 months, but you'll like suffer from cognitive dissonance and tell everyone (and yourself) that you love the crap out of the car and that it was a wonderful decision...that's the just the statistical reality.

Limestone keeps buying the rough ridin' Chrysler products, even thought they are poop on the reliability ratings.  I'd stay away from Jeeps if you intend to keep this car for more than 4-5 years.

You mentioned nothing about fuel economy, but I am going to assume that you care about that.

Given your criteria, my advice is to go get a Nissan Pathfinder...used.  Doesn't have the mark up that a Toyota Fourrunner has, but all the reliability.  AND,  lately they have some really cool options and amenities in the interior.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We've bought our last 2 cars new.  I've never regretted it.  But, I make sure to scour goEMAW prior to making a purchase. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
also, now that Fiat owns Chrysler/Jeep/Etc., I thought their reliability may be better.  the Grand Cherokee is built on the same platform as the Mercedes M class.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Cars, and car payments, completely suck ass.  You will regret any "new car" purchase you make within 3 months, but you'll like suffer from cognitive dissonance and tell everyone (and yourself) that you love the crap out of the car and that it was a wonderful decision...that's the just the statistical reality.

Limestone keeps buying the rough ridin' Chrysler products, even thought they are poop on the reliability ratings.  I'd stay away from Jeeps if you intend to keep this car for more than 4-5 years.

You mentioned nothing about fuel economy, but I am going to assume that you care about that.

Given your criteria, my advice is to go get a Nissan Pathfinder...used.  Doesn't have the mark up that a Toyota Fourrunner has, but all the reliability.  AND,  lately they have some really cool options and amenities in the interior.

Problem is most cars worth buying (< 4 yrs old) aren't significantly cheaper than a new one unless they have a fair amount of miles.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cars, and car payments, completely suck ass.  You will regret any "new car" purchase you make within 3 months, but you'll like suffer from cognitive dissonance and tell everyone (and yourself) that you love the crap out of the car and that it was a wonderful decision...that's the just the statistical reality.

Limestone keeps buying the rough ridin' Chrysler products, even thought they are poop on the reliability ratings.  I'd stay away from Jeeps if you intend to keep this car for more than 4-5 years.

Given your criteria, my advice is to go get a Nissan Pathfinder...used.  Doesn't have the mark up that a Toyota Fourrunner has, but all the reliability.  AND,  lately they have some really cool options and amenities in the interior.

Problem is most cars worth buying (< 4 yrs old) aren't significantly cheaper than a new one unless they have a fair amount of miles.

I consider 5-10K to be significant.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, what do you people think a "reasonable" monthly car payment is acceptable?  Don't lie...

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
See I would rather spend an extra 8K then have 65,000 miles on it.  But I don't have house payments to make or anything like that.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Also, what do you people think a "reasonable" monthly car payment is acceptable?  Don't lie...

:horrorsurprise:

THE MANCHURIAN MODERATOR

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile

Under $1,000. I would rather have higher payments and a shorter financing period.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

well, we've confirmed Pete is a car salesman.  they always refuse to tell me what they are giving me for my trade and what the exact purchase price is instead trying to tell me what the payment will be.  I don't GAF what the payment is.  I'm not living paycheck to paycheck you eff.  Then you have to ask for a different salesman and crap hits the fan.  JFC, I love car buying.   :thumbs: