Author Topic: auto purchase sug.(not to be confused with hundreds of other sd request threads)  (Read 40785 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I really like the last couple yrs of buicks.  Wife really wants the SUV.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
I'm going to lease my next car. Suggestos?

give us some parameters
Looking at Camry/Altima/Accord types of vehicles, mid range, $180-$280 price range a mo.
have you seen the new acura ilx?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile

give us some parameters
Looking at Camry/Altima/Accord types of vehicles, mid range, $180-$280 price range a mo.

Pretty nice, but more expensive than those cars.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

give us some parameters

Pretty nice, but more expensive than those cars.

it's well within his budget

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier.. use a broker (and preferably one you can trust, get referred to, or can get to know before deciding whether to use them).  You can get "deals" on leases at all dealerships but they tinker with the numbers to make it look favorable.  There's lots of different things and numbers they can change to make it work "with your budget".  Obviously, buyout value at the end is important.  36 month is typical but just kind of matters on what your trying to get and what your monthly budget is.  Perks are always nice (free maintenance, etc.)

If you use a broker, they will find a great deal for you and then you can use them again to buy it back about a year before your lease is over to get bang for your buck to release or put down to buy and not have to worry about "wear and tear" or mileage.  If you get a car that retains value well and your residual value at the end is ideal, you can get cash in hand back at the end or use it on something else.
What the hell is a broker, and where do I find one?

It's a car dealer who is not associated with a certain dealership.  They work with all the car companies corporate offices.  They have no ties to certain cars/quotas/bonuses, etc.  The dealership and car salesman take a cut of every deal made.  When you use a broker, you cut out the dealership cut so it's a better deal and they can put you into any car you want.
link please.

Where are you located?
Topeka, KS.

Don't know any there.  Just search automobile broker in topeka or kansas city, you'll find some.  They are just car dealers that aren't connected to specific brands.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think at some point in my life (probably midlife crisis time) I would like to buy a BMW 5 series and do European delivery over a summer.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
<---saul
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

give us some parameters

If you are leasing, I'd go with a Buick.  Those things are really nice these days, with LOADS of options, BUT I would personally have concerns about owning one for the long haul.  Leasing seems perfect for a domestic luxury car.
Currently leasing a Buick. It's pretty darn nice. Mainly went with it cause my buddies a Buick GMC dealer and they took my old trade for two years of this lease with no payments or expenses to me other than gas n insurance.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a buick?  come on man
Regal turbo, awd, 6mt  :love:
I really wish you could get awd with 3 pedals in Regal but awd models are auto only.  It would be the second best sleeper behind the SS I am going to have a hard time not buying with the 6mt and magnetic shocks Chevy has added for 2015

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
didn't realize there were so many buick fans here in the BWWFSOB
got to say, i'm surprised

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
tacoma

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
tacoma

have been shopping for cold weather vehicles, couldn't believe how well these things hold their value.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
tacoma

have been shopping for cold weather vehicles, couldn't believe how well these things hold their value.

I got a 2010 a month ago. It's fantastic. Great vehicle if you like a mid-sized pickup.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thoughts on cars with turbo? Our office cars have them. Hard to get used to. I could see liking them if you drive them a lot, though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thoughts on cars with turbo? Our office cars have them. Hard to get used to. I could see liking them if you drive them a lot, though.

imo naturally aspirated > turbo

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
What you really get for cpo program, a warranty included in the purchase price, and a special
Interest rate that is paid for in the purchase price,  you generally can find a non cpo for 3-5k
Less than the cpo. There is really no value in it because without it you can choose for yourself
weather to buy a warranty, pay cash, finance or whatever.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
I need a good 20kish used vehicle any dealer recomendos for wichita area
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
didn't realize there were so many buick fans here in the BWWFSOB
got to say, i'm surprised
a nice Buick won't get you a coveted valet spot on the curb in front of the 'falloon but they have really improved since the LeSabre & Skylark days.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
The market for used awd/4x4 in Colorado is insane. You don't save much getting a lightly used car.

look for 4x4s in phoenix.  lots of lightly used, good prices.  worth the trip.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think at some point in my life (probably midlife crisis time) I would like to buy a BMW 5 series and do European delivery over a summer.
That used to be a super sweet way to pick up a Ducati before the Euro started dominating the $. 

The story was you could pick your bike up in Bologna, ride it around for a couple of weeks or whatever and then Ducati would ship it to your local dealer and it all cost less than buying one in the US.  Maybe crap like this will come back if Hillary wins  :crossfingers:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That used to be a super sweet way to pick up a Ducati before the Euro started dominating the $. 

The story was you could pick your bike up in Bologna, ride it around for a couple of weeks or whatever and then Ducati would ship it to your local dealer and it all cost less than buying one in the US.  Maybe crap like this will come back if Hillary wins  :crossfingers:

That is still the case.  You are purchasing the cars/bikes in US$ through a US auto dealer, but you are buying it directly from the factory, so while the dealer gets to capture the sale toward their monthly number, they are basically acting only as an agent to transact the deal.  The price paid is negotiable, but the European Delivery MSRP and Invoice prices are always below the US MSRP/Invoice prices.  Depending upon the automaker, you also get discounts/accommodations when traveling and a free/discounted delivery to US after your trip. 

The main downsides:
the cost of the trip
the fact that financing is very difficult to obtain for European Delivery
the shipping time back to the US

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier.. use a broker (and preferably one you can trust, get referred to, or can get to know before deciding whether to use them).  You can get "deals" on leases at all dealerships but they tinker with the numbers to make it look favorable.  There's lots of different things and numbers they can change to make it work "with your budget".  Obviously, buyout value at the end is important.  36 month is typical but just kind of matters on what your trying to get and what your monthly budget is.  Perks are always nice (free maintenance, etc.)

If you use a broker, they will find a great deal for you and then you can use them again to buy it back about a year before your lease is over to get bang for your buck to release or put down to buy and not have to worry about "wear and tear" or mileage.  If you get a car that retains value well and your residual value at the end is ideal, you can get cash in hand back at the end or use it on something else.
What the hell is a broker, and where do I find one?

It's a car dealer who is not associated with a certain dealership.  They work with all the car companies corporate offices.  They have no ties to certain cars/quotas/bonuses, etc.  The dealership and car salesman take a cut of every deal made.  When you use a broker, you cut out the dealership cut so it's a better deal and they can put you into any car you want.
link please.

Where are you located?
Topeka, KS.

Don't know any there.  Just search automobile broker in topeka or kansas city, you'll find some.  They are just car dealers that aren't connected to specific brands.

Pretty sure KS Auto Dealers had the state legislature outlaw brokers awhile back
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
this automobile broker cat sounds like a badass

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a buick?  come on man
Regal turbo, awd, 6mt  :love:
I really wish you could get awd with 3 pedals in Regal but awd models are auto only.  It would be the second best sleeper behind the SS I am going to have a hard time not buying with the 6mt and magnetic shocks Chevy has added for 2015
I stand corrected and now sad.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting