Author Topic: auto purchase sug.(not to be confused with hundreds of other sd request threads)  (Read 40789 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
This thread got me looking and I realized I can afford a BMW. I'm currently looking into a 330xi. 6 speed manual. Anyone have experience with them?

By looking into, I mean buying one in the next 6 months.
do you live in manhattan?

Yes. I currently drive a 98 prelude, 133k miles. No intent to sell, but I'd like to have a nice sedan as well.
I think it will be a major pain in the ass. Its not like driving a prelude a lot of places won't even change the oil on a bmw or mercedes.. repairs are more costly and even the simplest things like windshield blades need to be specially ordered.

I get that and am open to changing my own oil. I'm also open to making repairs. I replaced the head gasket in my prelude. I've just wanted a M3 for as long as I can remember. Also wanted a prelude for a while and I've owned one for 6 years. I know I can't afford an M3 at this point in my life but am willing to wait for that. I've been debating between a BMW sedan and an S2000 and the former is more achievable currently.

i own an m3, i love it. it's about as much fun to drive as any car on the road.  y-l-a already said,  you're not done spending when you buy the car.  they're expensive to own.  buy cpo if possible.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is my first new car. We'll see how it goes. The market for used awd/4x4 in Colorado is insane. You don't save much getting a lightly used car. This go around, we spent as much getting a new car as we were planning on a used. Wouldn't have bought new if that wasn't the case. 10 year bumper to bumper warranty and free oil changes for not much more. Before i found this deal, i was going to go with cpo. It seems like the best of both worlds if you don't get a dealer gouging you for it.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is my first new car. We'll see how it goes. The market for used awd/4x4 in Colorado is insane. You don't save much getting a lightly used car. This go around, we spent as much getting a new car as we were planning on a used. Wouldn't have bought new if that wasn't the case. 10 year bumper to bumper warranty and free oil changes for not much more. Before i found this deal, i was going to go with cpo. It seems like the best of both worlds if you don't get a dealer gouging you for it.

You in Denver?  Did you go thru a dealership or a broker?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Colorado Springs. Dealer. It supposedly had hail damage on the roof. Not even on the hood. 

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Colorado Springs. Dealer. It supposedly had hail damage on the roof. Not even on the hood. 

Got ya.  Well next time your looking for you or someone else, I've found brokers to be better if your buying new/semi-new or leasing.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Got ya.  Well next time your looking for you or someone else, I've found brokers to be better if your buying new/semi-new or leasing.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lots of dumbass Dave Ramsey types being outed.
People that haggle and pay cash for major purchases are just the worst.

Yeah it sucks not having to pay interest on a multi-thousand dollar purchase.

all of these posts are annoying.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Used cars just dont have the value, but they certainly have the cost. I'd rather have a nice car and pay a little more with a warranty than have the shitwagon that needs repairs. Plus we got a killer deal. Thanks for the advice sd.
New car purchases are great. Dumbass Dave Ramsey types will tell you otherwise but they churn through shitwagons that never provide any utility for the sake of pinching penny's. You'll be happy with the purchase if it checks the boxes for your family.

Define "value"

I think some people really like buying new, because of the comfort and security of it.  That's a real "value" to them.  I get it.  My folks are like that.  The reliability is worth a lot of money to them.  My Dad just rough ridin' hates having car issues.  Who doesn't!?!

I am getting ready to get a different car, and I'll get a used one.  No question about it.   I have over 200,000 miles on an Avalon.   I think I'll get a used Acura TL, and drive it for 6 or 7 years or so, and expect to have few to zero significant issues...while still spending $15K or so less than a brand new one.   I'll get a loaded up one, with all the fancy stuff, so I might even save more than that.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
I'm going to lease my next car. Suggestos?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Used cars just dont have the value, but they certainly have the cost. I'd rather have a nice car and pay a little more with a warranty than have the shitwagon that needs repairs. Plus we got a killer deal. Thanks for the advice sd.
New car purchases are great. Dumbass Dave Ramsey types will tell you otherwise but they churn through shitwagons that never provide any utility for the sake of pinching penny's. You'll be happy with the purchase if it checks the boxes for your family.

I bought my current car in 2006 for $3300, has needed almost zero repairs.

What kind of car?

'02 Chevy Malibu. Bought it from WSU.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You should lease it as your "company car" in your own LLC and claim it as a biz expense or something.  Lots of independent technology consultants I know do that.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

give us some parameters

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

give us some parameters

If you are leasing, I'd go with a Buick.  Those things are really nice these days, with LOADS of options, BUT I would personally have concerns about owning one for the long haul.  Leasing seems perfect for a domestic luxury car.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier.. use a broker (and preferably one you can trust, get referred to, or can get to know before deciding whether to use them).  You can get "deals" on leases at all dealerships but they tinker with the numbers to make it look favorable.  There's lots of different things and numbers they can change to make it work "with your budget".  Obviously, buyout value at the end is important.  36 month is typical but just kind of matters on what your trying to get and what your monthly budget is.  Perks are always nice (free maintenance, etc.)

If you use a broker, they will find a great deal for you and then you can use them again to buy it back about a year before your lease is over to get bang for your buck to release or put down to buy and not have to worry about "wear and tear" or mileage.  If you get a car that retains value well and your residual value at the end is ideal, you can get cash in hand back at the end or use it on something else.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a buick?  come on man

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier.. use a broker (and preferably one you can trust, get referred to, or can get to know before deciding whether to use them).  You can get "deals" on leases at all dealerships but they tinker with the numbers to make it look favorable.  There's lots of different things and numbers they can change to make it work "with your budget".  Obviously, buyout value at the end is important.  36 month is typical but just kind of matters on what your trying to get and what your monthly budget is.  Perks are always nice (free maintenance, etc.)

If you use a broker, they will find a great deal for you and then you can use them again to buy it back about a year before your lease is over to get bang for your buck to release or put down to buy and not have to worry about "wear and tear" or mileage.  If you get a car that retains value well and your residual value at the end is ideal, you can get cash in hand back at the end or use it on something else.
What the hell is a broker, and where do I find one?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a buick?  come on man

They've come a long way.  Quite nice, actually.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

give us some parameters
Looking at Camry/Altima/Accord types of vehicles, mid range, $180-$280 price range a mo.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think this looks nice

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
wood grain accents  :sdeek:

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's a car dealer who is not associated with a certain dealership.  They work with all the car companies corporate offices.  They have no ties to certain cars/quotas/bonuses, etc.  The dealership and car salesman take a cut of every deal made.  When you use a broker, you cut out the dealership cut so it's a better deal and they can put you into any car you want.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

It's a car dealer who is not associated with a certain dealership.  They work with all the car companies corporate offices.  They have no ties to certain cars/quotas/bonuses, etc.  The dealership and car salesman take a cut of every deal made.  When you use a broker, you cut out the dealership cut so it's a better deal and they can put you into any car you want.
link please.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

link please.

Where are you located?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

link please.

Where are you located?
Topeka, KS.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a buick?  come on man
Regal turbo, awd, 6mt  :love:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting