Author Topic: phog.net realignment gems  (Read 135371 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »
They should really stick it to the B10 and the SEC by joining the AFC West.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »
They had a segment on GMA yesterday about how important their basketball program is.

Taking their case National

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
If the big 10 doesn't want us submit an application to the SEC, that's much better than being stuck in a conference with kstate/TCU/Cincy etc. We can try to down play it all we want but that's a huge step down for KU, plus less money and exposure

I understand culturally we don't fit in with SEC schools but we fit in much better with Mizzou/UT/OU/A&M/Kentucky/Bama/Tennessee/Florida etc, then we do with Kstate/Baylor/TCU/BYU/Memphis/Cincy for crying out loud and we would land in the most powerful stable conference in the country versus being relegated to a mid major.

Submit an App and see what happens, at least reach out to them and let them know we are definitely interested, a big 10 offer may never come our way in the next 20 years for all we know, so go to plan B, like you mentioned the SEC may see an instant attraction in becoming the premier basketball conference as well and with MU already in the fold as well as Kentucky, their is natural rivalries already in place with KU added , and then it opens up the door to possibly poach away UNC/Duke/Virginia from the ACC, which would make the SEC the most powerful football and basketball league by far, And if it forces the big 10 to deal their cards to send KU an offer then KU opens up the door that may have never opened up if we sit back and do nothing

The evaluation of Moo as a basketball peer in this post priceless, and would be unthinkable for KU fans in any other context.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2021, 09:20:59 AM »
That guy is still in the full blown denial stage.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2021, 04:37:11 PM »
I love how they keep taking about "submitting an application and see what happens" as if SEC, Big Ten or whatever are a Wendy's.   :ROFL:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 11, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
I love how they keep taking about "submitting an application and see what happens" as if SEC, Big Ten or whatever are a Wendy's.   :ROFL:

I prefer to think of it as like monster.com for them
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 11, 2021, 08:43:05 AM »
If the big 10 doesn't want us submit an application to the SEC, that's much better than being stuck in a conference with kstate/TCU/Cincy etc. We can try to down play it all we want but that's a huge step down for KU, plus less money and exposure

I understand culturally we don't fit in with SEC schools but we fit in much better with Mizzou/UT/OU/A&M/Kentucky/Bama/Tennessee/Florida etc, then we do with Kstate/Baylor/TCU/BYU/Memphis/Cincy for crying out loud and we would land in the most powerful stable conference in the country versus being relegated to a mid major.

Submit an App and see what happens, at least reach out to them and let them know we are definitely interested, a big 10 offer may never come our way in the next 20 years for all we know, so go to plan B, like you mentioned the SEC may see an instant attraction in becoming the premier basketball conference as well and with MU already in the fold as well as Kentucky, their is natural rivalries already in place with KU added , and then it opens up the door to possibly poach away UNC/Duke/Virginia from the ACC, which would make the SEC the most powerful football and basketball league by far, And if it forces the big 10 to deal their cards to send KU an offer then KU opens up the door that may have never opened up if we sit back and do nothing

The evaluation of Moo as a basketball peer in this post priceless, and would be unthinkable for KU fans in any other context.

The best part is how clueless the poster is about the reality that KU has been on their knees begging both of those conferences for an invitation to submit an application, only to be told "No." 

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 11, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »

The best part is how clueless the poster is about the reality that KU has been on their knees begging both of those conferences for an invitation to submit an application, only to be told "No."

How dense do you have to be to not realize that KU fall behind Okie State, T-Tech and WV in any SEC expansion pecking order? The SEC people still hold their nose at Missouri, ffs, they would never sink to inviting KU.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 12, 2021, 12:37:01 AM »

How dense do you have to be to not realize that KU fall behind Okie State, T-Tech and WV in any SEC expansion pecking order? The SEC people still hold their nose at Missouri, ffs, they would never sink to inviting KU.

I really don't see any value at all in Tech as an expansion option. I would think the SEC would prefer getting either Kansas school over them.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 13, 2021, 10:15:09 PM »
KU + USC to the big 10 equals UT + OU in my humble opinion.

Getting KU is important for the BIG. Reasonable fit and not bad linear revenue for BTN, but also strategically, as KU in the SEC could swing UNC and Co to the SEC.

There’s too much money to be made off the tournament and soon streaming for basketball brands to be excluded in the next moves.

As soon as UT folded and went SEC, it became apparent we are on our way to a P2 of 32-48 teams with a revenue generating North-South polarization. KU adds the most the North-South hype facing MU.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 14, 2021, 12:29:21 AM »
rough ridin' delusional man.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 14, 2021, 03:34:16 AM »
How to say you don’t understand how the NCAA tourney payout works without saying it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 14, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
Even if the NCAA payout increases, if the NCAA maintains the unit formula payout and the six year payout formula for those units. 

For KU Basketball to bring true value to the Big 10 conference and the many mouths it needs to feed.  KU basketball would have to make deep runs in the NCAA tournament every single year.   Otherwise, just one or two deep NCAA tourney runs over a 6 year period amounts to relative chump change each fiscal year for the individual Big 10 schools.    They can sell a couple of more suites at their football stadiums and make more money than what that individual school payout would be from KU's earned units in a given fiscal year.   

I know KU t-Shirt fan thinks they're going to the Final Four every year, but that isn't reality.   A round of 32 exit means KU basketball produces just two units in the payout formula, add another unit if they're the automatic qualifier from the conference.   Granted if the formula stays the same, those 2 or 3 units payout each year for five or six years, but once the conference keeps their % and then divides it up among 13 plus other schools . . . it's a rounding error for a school like Ohio State.   

The BiG is already well represented in the NCAA tourney every season and football comprises 80% to 85% of the value of conference media contracts.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:22:50 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 14, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »
i love when dax talks in fiscal periods and units  :drool:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 14, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »
As I've said before, the BiG already has a level of market presence in KC because of the number of Iowa and Nebraska transplants that live in the KC Metro.

Anecdotally my parents church on JoCo is filled with Hawkeye and Cornhole fans. 

Unless the BiG boots Rutgers, which would be a wide open admission by the conference they made a mistake and nobody wants that kind of publicity.    Then KU just adds another mouth to feed that doesn't bring true value in the sport that matters.

If you're a KU fan that cares at all about football and getting back to consistent winning ways, the best chance is in the Big 12.   The best chance for KU to ever see a CFBPO birth if it ever really expands is in the Big 12.    This desire for a Power 2 likely relegates KU football to nothing more than cannon fodder for the grinder into perpetuity.   It's literally a participation ribbon for decades upon decades.   

But living in the heart of SEC country I see and hear first hand every day how the usual list of schools beam with pride at the fact that they're allowed to participate in the SEC.  So I know for some, participation ribbons are a big deal. 

I wish them the best though.   

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 14, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »

If you're a KU fan that cares at all about football

Might as well address a unicorn

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 14, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
I was, and to a smaller still am, worried about Kstate's future. But if we are in a league that gets the champion in the playoffs every year, assuming it's expanded, then I don't give a eff. That would still be very marketable to recruits and give possibility, if even the tiniest amount, to winning a national championship. That would be super fun to even get to the playoffs. In the newest B12, we should do that occasionally (again assuming we get 1 auto bid).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 14, 2021, 01:23:30 PM »
As I've said before, the BiG already has a level of market presence in KC because of the number of Iowa and Nebraska transplants that live in the KC Metro.

Unless the BiG boots Rutgers, which would be a wide open admission by the conference they made a mistake and nobody wants that kind of publicity.    Then KU just adds another mouth to feed that doesn't bring true value in the sport that matters.

If you're a KU fan that cares at all about football and getting back to consistent winning ways, the best chance is in the Big 12.   The best chance for KU to ever see a CFBPO birth if it ever really expands is in the Big 12.    This desire for a Power 2 likely relegates KU football to nothing more than cannon fodder for the grinder into perpetuity.   It's literally a participation ribbon for decades upon decades.   

But living in the heart of SEC country I see and hear first hand every day how the usual list of schools beam with pride at the fact that they're allowed to participate in the SEC.  So I know for some, participation ribbons are a big deal. 

I've never understood "conference pride". I give no shits about the other teams and hope they lose every game against my team. I get zero of the dollars personally so as long as my team is reasonably taken care of, it doesn't matter an ounce to me what conference they are in. The ding dongs in the SEC and BIG that lose 5 games minimum every year and then cheer for Alabama and Ohio State in the playoffs are super weird.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2021, 03:00:27 AM »
“ Seriously. What are they going to do, kick us out? Without UT/OU we just became the UT/OU of the league.”

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2021, 07:17:49 AM »
Quote from: phog
Seriously. What are they going to do, kick us out? Without UT/OU we just became the UT/OU of the league.

How can people so dumb speak so confidently?  It's kind of inspiring in a way.

:Rusty:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 15, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
Kentucky has a much better basketball and football program, in the SEC, and everyone still thinks of them as meh.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:43 AM »
They're taking great joy in their ESPN 2 tv numbers from the beat down they received from Coastal Carolina that they've spun into the greatest moral victory since K-State recovered 4 onside kicks against Barry Switzer and OU thirty plus years ago.    Without realizing that hardcore college football fans (like me) didn't get a Thursday night game and so were starved for anything to kick off yet another CFB weekend.   Hardcore CFB fans (like me) also tuned in to see if a SoCon team could get their first home win against a P5 team and they did by 4 touchdowns (remembering that a Les Miles coached team only lost to the same crew by a single TD).   I digress . . .

I have also heard in multiple places that the BiG told KU thanks but no thanks.

The BiG knows they made a BiG mistake by bringing in Rutgers and Maryland and they're not bringing another school who moves zero needles in the only sport that matters.

I'll say it gain, the BiG is already loaded with quality basketball content and basketball drives 15% to 20% of the value of conference media contracts, tops, and that's with throwing every other non football sports into the mix as well.   

As far as basketball goes relative to the NCAA tourney payout.   If the formula remains the same, the BiG has to ask would a KU be a +1 to all the other usual BiG teams that go to the NCAA tourney every year, or would KU possibly bump a current BiG regular out.    I'd say that's going to be  a coinflip every year, so some years the BiG may literally net nothing from having KU Basketball while having more mouths to feed at the same time.   

For the schools that place value on mere membership and sucking at the rear teats, why do you want football hind teater KU nuzzling into position at the back with you?    I suppose if you're a Cornhole fan and if you ever get good again, you'll have an easy road trip and lots of your fellow Cornhole fans to party with in Lawrence just like days of yore.    On the flipside, if you're Minn, IL, Iowa or Cornhole, why do want another BiG school in your region when you can walk into places like KC and STL and try to grab kids on the back of BiG membership? 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
So they get beat by 4 TDs by a G5 team and they're excited about how many people saw it?

KU Football!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 15, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
Coastal Carolina is also V fun to watch.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 15, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »

KU is not unusual in this respect, only unusual in how open they are in pursuing revenue.  OU/UT to SEC was more financially driven than meeting the needs of the fan base.  UT has always been an inconsiderate conference partner (see SW Conference history), and OU has more recently been an inconsiderate conference partner with their griping about 11am starts.  UT's interval of decency was when they had former KSU AD Deloss Dodds leading their athletic department,  they've been disgusting pigs in terms of conference partners since he retired (see Longhorn Network).