Author Topic: phog.net realignment gems  (Read 136365 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
How can people so dumb speak so confidently?  It's kind of inspiring in a way.

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 30, 2021, 10:14:21 PM »
I'm not going to go find the actual quotes, but the theory was being floated that A&M leaked the secret deal going on to screw up the playoff expansion for the SEC, so that A&M could scoot off to the Big 10 with KU and mess up the SEC plans since they were looking to take on Texas.

Also, they are thinking that the rest of the Big 12 is going to offer KU double the money to stay in the conference, but who wants to stay in a conference that is so desperate they'd have to make an offer like that?

It is amazing how these guys can be so serious about this nonsense.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 30, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »
I could see the Big 12 halving KU’s payouts 10x easier than doubling it

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 30, 2021, 11:49:11 PM »
How can people so dumb speak so confidently?  It's kind of inspiring in a way.
That’s basically the subject of a very popular Bertrand Russell quote.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2021, 01:34:28 AM »
Now all 8 presidents are on the committee. 

Spending $500 million on their current stadium would be the worst investment in collegiate athletic history.  Topping Cal’s insane expenditure on their stadium which is now forcing the academic side to pony up tens of millions of dollars to keep Cal Athletics solvent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2021, 05:03:48 AM »
My favorite theme is “KSU will be so sad/sorry/jealous when we’re in the Big 10.”

Kind of like the start of every rom com. It’s like girl you don’t need the Big 10 to get over him, you just need to work on you.
I think the idea that Mizzou would be jealous is especially wild
Mizzou would be insanely jealous if KU got a BIG invite. Mizzou kicked off realignment 11 years ago by lifting their skirt to BIG at homecoming only to see BIG start making out with Nebraska during a slow dance.

Yes, but that's because they didn't know the SEC was an option. Once they got that SEC invite they've never thought of the Big 10 again, especially after having success their first couple of years there. The SEC is a much better cultural fit for Mizzou. Maybe I don't know enough Mizzou grads but I couldn't imagine them being jealous of KU going to the Big 10 and being a worse version of Nebraska.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
Hate to say it but the Big 12 had/has a lot of very low self esteem schools who would rather just slip into herd and let the greater collective try and raise their boat.

Those that have exited have won the equivalent of a burning sack of dog crap on the front porch across the whole of their major sports. 

KU Athletics:  It’s been 53 years since we won a conference championship in football so we’re signing up for 53 more participation ribbons.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 31, 2021, 07:48:07 AM »
Hate to say it but the Big 12 had/has a lot of very low self esteem schools who would rather just slip into herd and let the greater collective try and raise their boat.

Those that have exited have won the equivalent of a burning sack of dog crap on the front porch across the whole of their major sports. 

KU Athletics:  It’s been 53 years since we won a conference championship in football so we’re signing up for 53 more participation ribbons.

I think everyone in KU leadership completely understands that football is merely there out of economic necessity.  Donors who give to basketball don't really give a crap if football has to lose 100 games in a decade in order to pay some bills.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 31, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
This is true Pete.

KU Football BMD's:  In wait and see mode for decades

I suppose the dumpster fire that is KU football was good for some nice smore'ing

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 31, 2021, 10:47:51 PM »
Quote from: Phog regarding their new stadium
Build for your highs, not your lows. Also, the big 10 teams all travel better than B12 schools. If we become a consistent winner, we can definitely pull 55K KU fans alone. Need to at least allow for expansion as Leipold ramps this thing up. KC is just down the road, remember. There is potential for big 10 crowds at The Booth!

Quote from: Phog
Plus think of all the new fans you’ll pickup once KSU is removed from the major college football tier. I only half jest.

This. We can probably go up to 70k. With all the winning we’ll be doing and D2 losing the taters will be doing, we’ll have a packed house every week

If KU were to be in the BIG, and KSU something slightly better than current AAC, the inherent KU demographic just took a leap. How many are converted to tickets depends on success, but I’ll throw out a floor of 3k-5k. More when OSU comes to town every 10 years lol If successful, the ceiling is 75k rather than the previous 55k imo.

If the stadium and atmosphere are designed right, people will want to show up for the experience even if we aren't winning yet.

Reading that board kinda makes me wish we had a brand new stadium and play in the Big Ten like our KU brothers

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 31, 2021, 11:11:11 PM »
What a bunch of imaginative idiots to the east.  :facepalm: and  :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 01, 2021, 02:36:31 AM »
Adding seating capacity in 2021 and beyond is a waste of money. 

Any AD looking to add substantial seating capacity, unless it’s woefully inadequate in its current state.  Should be immediately relieved of his/her duties. 

I believe we saw our last seating capacity substantial upward moves in P5 football with Nebraska, Texas A&M and Clown State.

Nebraska needed donors to buy up tickets to preserve the sellout streak.  A&M has turned into a ridiculous diploma mill with over 60K students on campus and they tied a bunch of their tickets into bundles and season tickets in order to get tickets to the Alabama game. 

Clown State will need to maintain their current level or they won’t fill their stadium. 

Alabama has actually reduced stadium capacity slightly in their last renovation.

KU would be best served to turn their stadium into an amenities packed 50k seat stadium.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 01, 2021, 06:46:23 AM »
Those quotes are reminiscent of A&M's 100 year decision, just minus the actual changing conferences part.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 01, 2021, 07:06:25 AM »
you guys are getting trolled big time

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 01, 2021, 07:17:09 AM »
If this is a KU version of "does it hurt or image to play Arkansas", I owe them major kudos.

I don't owe them major kudos.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 01, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
In discussing stadium renovation on phog:

Bring in Joe's Kansas City for ZMans while we watch beat downs.

In context, the KU poster was asserting that KU would be delivering the beatdowns. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 01, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
......And I think adding KU to either the SEC or the ACC means that Fox and the big 10/PAC will never have the better game on any Saturday, in the Fall and the Spring......

HOLY crap

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 01, 2021, 08:35:10 AM »

No, these guys aren't trolling.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 01, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
This just really stands alone:

I am OK with a stadium that seats 60-65K as long as there are no bench seats! Tired of over weight people taking up two seats but paying for one.

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 01, 2021, 12:20:16 PM »
This just really stands alone:

I am OK with a stadium that seats 60-65K as long as there are no bench seats! Tired of over weight people taking up two seats but paying for one.

But isn't that how they get the 3,000 people who show up to look more like 5,000 for the cameras?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 01, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »

No, these guys aren't trolling.

It's a little of both. Ridiculousness is kind of the point of the thread. Some are posting tongue-in-cheek comments, but many are oblivious to it and just getting hyped up by it. I'd say about 30/70 trolling/not trolling.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 01, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
Once Big 10 fans discover Lawrence they will come in droves, much like Nebraska used to.

Lawrence should really look at updating the airport too. Purdue has a robust aviation program, which we should lean into with a fly in day before their game.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 01, 2021, 05:17:48 PM »
Airport would cost more than remodeling the stadium.   :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 01, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
Once Big 10 fans discover Lawrence they will come in droves, much like Nebraska used to.

This happened in Manhattan when I was growing up. Always heard the reason was that it was easier for their fans to get away game tickets than home game tickets. But maybe the real reason was Manhattan's proximity to Lawrence.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 02, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »
There's a Runza in Lawrence.  Just sayin