Author Topic: phog.net realignment gems  (Read 136718 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #725 on: August 26, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
You have dig through a lot of quartz to get to a genuine diamond. 

Gene Taylor just seems like the kind of guy that has wired money to a Nigerian Prince after getting an email from him.

That's hilarious. Of course it's coming from the same people who worshipped a dude who ate ketchup off of a plate with a fork, but funny nonetheless.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 27, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
How is the Phog reconciling the facts that they are going to the Big10 and that their Pres is on the expansion committee?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 27, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
He must be out of the loop here.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 27, 2021, 09:26:56 AM »
How is the Phog reconciling the facts that they are going to the Big10 and that their Pres is on the expansion committee?

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 30, 2021, 11:04:54 AM »
I got to chat a bit with my main source earlier today. So I can confirm he still firmly believes that "WE HAVE A SEAT AT THE TABLE".

He thinks that the Alliance has slowed things down a bit because it puts less pressure to expand. He thinks expansion will likely still happen but, we all need to be patient (I've said this before so this isn't new). He thinks over the course of the next 1-3 years we will see movement as GORs come up and conferences renegotiate and see what new media deals they get based upon what schools they can bring in.

The thing is u til OU and UT move, things are going to be stagnant. The Hateful 8 want that buyout money. They will all play nice until they get it. ESPN is trying to get out of cutting a big check. So OU/UT may actually be in the conference longer than originally thought if they can't negotiate down the buyout quite a bit or dissolve the conference. They could be in the conference until 2024 if the cost is just too much. That is why the Hateful 8 is looking at expanding to try and stabilize the conference more if things take longer than they hope. This is a safety net.

KU as a University is a very well recognized brand. The Jayhawk is one of the most recognizable mascots. Basketball is elite and brings in a ton of money and eyeballs and a breakaway from the NCAA turns the bball program into an absolute revenue generating monster. Long term conferences think this will be the end game, so KU will always be desirable to power conferences. Football improves to just average and you have a top 20 revenue University with pretty good academics. Because of this we WILL have a landing spot.

The big 10 is still very interested in us. If invited enough University Presidents like us, we will have the votes. The issue here is the media conglomerates that will be bidding on the new GOR. FOX isn't going to advocate the big 10 adding us now when all we do is dilute the pie. They will want us added before a new GOR is agreed because then the new media deal will be inclusive of the new schools. My source feels confident we land in the big 10 it's just waiting on the invite at this point.

Until then we have to play nice and go along with the Hateful 8 unfortunately which means expanding the conference. We will be very apprehensive to a new GOR and the likelihood of signing one is extremely low. He won't rule it out though because if by some off chance it's an offer we can't refuse, like Amazon comes in and offers a deal that would pay us like $50 million or something crazy and we keep our T3 rights, it's tough to walk away from that, especially knowing we would be the head honcho of the conference.

We just need to be patient, this is going to take a minute. But, have trust in our brand and the ability of our leadership. We are in a very very good spot.

KU, the new leaders of the conference.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 30, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
It's amazing that they still don't realize that their worst-in-the-country football team is still monetarily more valuable to any conference than their basketball team.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 30, 2021, 11:26:20 AM »
The Jayhawk is one of the most recognizable mascots.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 30, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
Eh, here's a few more, then I've got to get back to work.

Kansas State and Missouri fans each fear Kansas destroying anything they’ve ever accomplished in Football with even greater achievements in addition to dominating Football.

I would imagine bball recruiting could improve for many of the teams in the big 10 if Kansas is in the conference. There'd be killer games nearly every week during basketball season.

I actually get the KSU trolls though. They've attached themselves to us and we are about to shake them off like a dog with fleas. They are in for a rough few yea

Now, if the SEC could find a way to monetize KU BB exponentially better, they'd be right on us, and Big Ten would have to move quickly or lose KU to a conference that I think would not fit nearly as well. Things are different than they were in 1994.

The taters and mutards are each going to be completely and utterly down on life when we get into the big 10 and I'm not even talking smack lol... its going to be epic.

I doubt the PAC 12 would want KSU. TT and OSU would be much more likely.

We no longer have a seat at the Big Ten table. We have moved to the other room and are now in bed with the Big Ten. KSU and MU fans are going to hate when we are in the Big Ten.

Every team in the XII wants to get in the P4. Only a few have a viable chance at doing so. That being said, every team should want a clause in a new GOR that lets a team leave for the P4 w/o sacrificing their media rights if done so through the proper channels. First, I know KU, OSU, TTU, WVU all believe they have a great shot at the P4, hell even ISU and TCU are holding out hope. So, just put the clause in the new GOR. It probably won't apply to 90% of these schools, but that would also give schools the option for upward mobility. So, if you're UCF, BYU, Cinncy, Houston, etc. you would definitely sign on, b/c it's going to better than your current situation, and you don't believe a mass exodus will occur. At best, they probably think 3 schools KU, OSU, TTU have a shot at the P4 in the near future, and, in that case, the conference would still be better than the one you left. I'm not an attorney, but that seems like an extremely reasonable clause to put in a GOR w/ little downside risk to schools w/o leverage, and keeps the conference moving forwards. There are no UT's or OU's left to that would cripple the conferene if they leave. As Giroud is on this committee, and I'm assuming he's not an idiot, I'm sure he's thought of this too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm sure the new media contracts will allow schools to leave as they choose without penalty  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 30, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Eh, here's a few more, then I've got to get back to work.

Kansas State and Missouri fans each fear Kansas destroying anything they’ve ever accomplished in Football with even greater achievements in addition to dominating Football.

I would imagine bball recruiting could improve for many of the teams in the big 10 if Kansas is in the conference. There'd be killer games nearly every week during basketball season.

I actually get the KSU trolls though. They've attached themselves to us and we are about to shake them off like a dog with fleas. They are in for a rough few yea

Now, if the SEC could find a way to monetize KU BB exponentially better, they'd be right on us, and Big Ten would have to move quickly or lose KU to a conference that I think would not fit nearly as well. Things are different than they were in 1994.

The taters and mutards are each going to be completely and utterly down on life when we get into the big 10 and I'm not even talking smack lol... its going to be epic.

I doubt the PAC 12 would want KSU. TT and OSU would be much more likely.

We no longer have a seat at the Big Ten table. We have moved to the other room and are now in bed with the Big Ten. KSU and MU fans are going to hate when we are in the Big Ten.

Every team in the XII wants to get in the P4. Only a few have a viable chance at doing so. That being said, every team should want a clause in a new GOR that lets a team leave for the P4 w/o sacrificing their media rights if done so through the proper channels. First, I know KU, OSU, TTU, WVU all believe they have a great shot at the P4, hell even ISU and TCU are holding out hope. So, just put the clause in the new GOR. It probably won't apply to 90% of these schools, but that would also give schools the option for upward mobility. So, if you're UCF, BYU, Cinncy, Houston, etc. you would definitely sign on, b/c it's going to better than your current situation, and you don't believe a mass exodus will occur. At best, they probably think 3 schools KU, OSU, TTU have a shot at the P4 in the near future, and, in that case, the conference would still be better than the one you left. I'm not an attorney, but that seems like an extremely reasonable clause to put in a GOR w/ little downside risk to schools w/o leverage, and keeps the conference moving forwards. There are no UT's or OU's left to that would cripple the conferene if they leave. As Giroud is on this committee, and I'm assuming he's not an idiot, I'm sure he's thought of this too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm sure the new media contracts will allow schools to leave as they choose without penalty  :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, the type of contracts that don't do or mean anything.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #734 on: August 30, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »
My favorite theme is “KSU will be so sad/sorry/jealous when we’re in the Big 10.”

Kind of like the start of every rom com. It’s like girl you don’t need the Big 10 to get over him, you just need to work on you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 30, 2021, 12:21:39 PM »
My favorite theme is “KSU will be so sad/sorry/jealous when we’re in the Big 10.”

Kind of like the start of every rom com. It’s like girl you don’t need the Big 10 to get over him, you just need to work on you.
I think the idea that Mizzou would be jealous is especially wild

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 30, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
"I'm not an attorney but" has never ended with something smart, true, or that made sense.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 30, 2021, 02:43:03 PM »
Look, I think they have a chance to end up in a power conference at some point. A chance. Their fragile egos won't even allow their brains to process that, though. They've got a colossal thread rationalizing every move how it "makes sense" and will play out in their favor without any substantial smoke that indicates it will happen.

I'm not a psychologist, but it's fascinating from that point of view.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 30, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
Look, I think they have a chance to end up in a power conference at some point. A chance. Their fragile egos won't even allow their brains to process that, though. They've got a colossal thread rationalizing every move how it "makes sense" and will play out in their favor without any substantial smoke that indicates it will happen.

I'm not a psychologist, but it's fascinating from that point of view.

yep, its the fan/fanatic part of it that is interesting/hilarious. There was a post a while back that someone copied here that basically said everything Dave Wanstedt (sp?) said was "probably" true, but it may all be bullshit except for the part about KU going to the B10. That part is def true. Its pretty weird when people think the things that benefit them are always true or right and the things that don't are BS and wrong. Humans are really pretty stupid if you think about it.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 30, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »
Some poster there said something like “there are no real signs of Big 10 interest and KU may be stuck in the Big 12” and was proceeded to be insulted and attacked by about 30 people. What an truly crazy group of individuals.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 30, 2021, 04:23:56 PM »
Some poster there said something like “there are no real signs of Big 10 interest and KU may be stuck in the Big 12” and was proceeded to be insulted and attacked by about 30 people. What an truly crazy group of individuals.
Yea, over they only buffoons would consider an alternate universe where the sec and big 10 are not fighting over KU.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 30, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »
If they are legitimately that economically viable of a basketball program why not go independent.  You could literally schedule anyone.  Of course you would miss out on conference tournaments, but i say go for it.  Just get rid of football as well, it's obvious the bmd there are going to protect basketball at all cost.

Hell put on your own tourney in KC every year.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 30, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »

Mizzou would be insanely jealous if KU got a BIG invite. Mizzou kicked off realignment 11 years ago by lifting their skirt to BIG at homecoming only to see BIG start making out with Nebraska during a slow dance.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 30, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »

Mizzou would be insanely jealous if KU got a BIG invite. Mizzou kicked off realignment 11 years ago by lifting their skirt to BIG at homecoming only to see BIG start making out with Nebraska during a slow dance.
Yeah I know but they'd never say anything is better than the SEC now

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 30, 2021, 07:23:10 PM »

Quickest way to get banned on phog is to question the predicate that KU will have it's choice of conference affiliations.  Or to mention that they have the worst P5 football program / stadium.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 30, 2021, 07:45:34 PM »
Quote from: Phog
I completely agree that our actual value far exceeds our perception. Luckily, for us, the people who actually make these decisions only care about our actual value.

The stadium will be done entirely by private donations and some public loans. I think that the loans will be minimal, and the state could work something out where we pay more as our conference revenue increases. I’m hearing that the goal is at least $550M, although I believe that will go to more projects than just the stadium. A massive commitment like that won’t get signed off on by the biggest donors without the intent to land in a power conference. And I already know that major commitments have been made- before even seeing any kind of renditions. I confirmed that back on page 20 (or something)- my people told me that Goff basically only had to make 4 calls to ensure a significant initial investment. You have to believe that in order to make a significant commitment without even seeing the initial designs, Goff had to dangle a Power 4 offer in front the biggest donors.

I feel like the big 10 may have asked for some capital improvements which is the impetus behind this massive fund raiser. Goff and Girod connected with the big 10 Presidents and Athletic Directors when OuT was first announced, and those initial donations came in shortly after that. I’ve honestly felt like the big 10 was a done deal early on, and I’ve held on to that since page 1 (figuratively speaking). Even if the big 10 isn’t a done deal, Goff would be a fool to pass on this chance to stoke the donation potential that you see illustrated in this 800 page 1.5M view thread. I know I’ll donate, and if ever there was a time of need when you give whatever you can- this is it!

I think ESPN/Disney is going to try to dominate the best content in both football and basketball by controlling the T1/T2 contracts for the ACC and the SEC. And I think adding KU to either the SEC or the ACC means that Fox and the big 10/PAC will never have the better game on any Saturday, in the Fall and the Spring..

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 30, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
renditions lmao

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 30, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »
We're a top tier organization with an iconic brand, I think we deserve an iconic stadium integrated with our campus that also honors our history - which for memorial stadium isn't football history, but also is part of KU's historically strong track and field history. If we can raise $500 mil to do it, they'll figure the nuts and bolts out.

The B12 probably put him (Girod) on the committee because 1) he represents the best school left, and anyone who has questions is goin go to want answers only KU can answer, and 2) it's probably a last ditch effort to keep KU in the conference by seeing if KU can help negotiate a good enough deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer us the same deal of a double share they are rumored to have offered UT/OU at the end to try to entice us to stay.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:20:00 PM by Hurricane Cat »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:08 PM »
Here's a thought... Hollow out the hill and put the new stadium inside of it. Just think of how amazing the setting would be without some ugly stadium in the way.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 30, 2021, 09:36:30 PM »
It's amazing how fiercely resistant they are to the rest of the world's valuation of football relative to basketball.