Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280152 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1075 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »
I'm going to start my own company.  If anyone wants a job just let me know.
what about a email interview followed by an instant messenger interview followed by a phone interview followed by a Skype interview followed by a face to face interview?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 15, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
Every manager had to start out as not a manager to begin with, so there ya go. Unless it's like your dads company or something and he's just mushing your face.

I understand that.  I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) it's easier to be promoted within a company to a management position.  Those promoting you know and trust you, you know and have the respect of your current peers and other colleagues, and you know the industry, business, and culture of the company in general.  Conversely, I would assume getting your first management job at some other company, that doesn't know you from Adam, knows you don't know crap about their industry, and everything else, would be much more difficult.  It actually makes me question the shittiness of the job if they would consider hiring someone like me in this circumstance. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 15, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
Nevermind guys, I decided not to start a company because it seems like a lot of work.  I didn't realize I would have to come up with an interview process.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 15, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »
Nevermind guys, I decided not to start a company because it seems like a lot of work.  I didn't realize I would have to come up with an interview process.
it's a shitload of work
imagine starting an llc and working your tail to the bone and then one day getting a certified letter from a to be unnamed former Texas Tech football player's attorney.  it's like, did Trump put up with this? did Steve Jobs?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 15, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »

Every manager had to start out as not a manager to begin with, so there ya go. Unless it's like your dads company or something and he's just mushing your face.

I understand that.  I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) it's easier to be promoted within a company to a management position.  Those promoting you know and trust you, you know and have the respect of your current peers and other colleagues, and you know the industry, business, and culture of the company in general.  Conversely, I would assume getting your first management job at some other company, that doesn't know you from Adam, knows you don't know crap about their industry, and everything else, would be much more difficult.  It actually makes me question the shittiness of the job if they would consider hiring someone like me in this circumstance.

why is this particular management job so important? Maybe shoot for management in an industry you're qualified to work in.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
sorry some loser got the job and not you, emo

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »

why is this particular management job so important? Maybe shoot for management in an industry you're qualified to work in.

What makes you think it's important?  My questions are generally applicable, not just for this position.  Frankly, I don't like the industry I'm in.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
Interview well and they will pick you
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 15, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
I interviewed with this company about a year ago.  It was an all day interview.  Towards the end I said something like "I never imagined in all my years I could be working in the ******* ******** business."  I think that one comment mumped me.  Which was fine, I didn't really want that job anyway.  It's funny to me that they are now considering me for a job with considerably more responsibility.  I only need to go 8 hours without saying something stupid.  This is going to be a challenge. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 15, 2016, 11:36:26 AM »

What makes you think it's important?  My questions are generally applicable, not just for this position.  Frankly, I don't like the industry I'm in.

the fact that you're asking about it? :dunno:

My advice is applicable to general situations. But do what you want or whatever.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 15, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
I had a phone interview once. I was pretty underqualified for the position.  I didn't get it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 15, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
The idea that having to go through a ton of interviews adds legitimacy to a position or company is laughable. 
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 15, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
The idea that having to go through a ton of interviews adds legitimacy to a position or company is laughable. 

Please elaborate
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 15, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »

Please elaborate
It likely shows that you are meeting with the wrong people, or they are very indecisive. 2, maybe 3, interviews is reasonable, but 5 wastes a lot of people's time.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 15, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »

I agree. Just shows lots of layers of redundancy

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
Redundancy can be essential though to very risk averse industries. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 15, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »
I had one-on-one interviews with 5 people in 5 departments for one job and I thought it was a bit much. But then I traveled to Asia with 4 of them a couple months later and it made a lot of sense. The one I wasn't traveling with was my boss.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
It's never even been redundant in my experience. Everyone evaluates something different.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »

Please elaborate
It likely shows that you are meeting with the wrong people, or they are very indecisive. 2, maybe 3, interviews is reasonable, but 5 wastes a lot of people's time.

ok I agree.  I think 3 is the perfect number. 

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 15, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Redundancy can be essential though to very risk averse industries. 

You can have multiple people interview back to back in one visit.  Making someone come back multiple times is the problem IMO.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: April 15, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
You got to risk it to get the biscuit, at least that's what I always say

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 15, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »

Please elaborate
my colleague, HR director, boss, CEO, and COO. I travel with them all like Mich does.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
Did they bring you in 5 separate times?  Or did you talk to 3 one time and 2 the next?  I would view the first option as extremely disrespectful.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
i have never had multiple rounds of a job interview. in fact, the two jobs ive had have offered me the job on the spot. maybe i am a stud?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 15, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
Did they bring you in 5 separate times?  Or did you talk to 3 one time and 2 the next?  I would view the first option as extremely disrespectful.

I had a few phone and skype interviews but was only on site once (when I met all 5 people in person). They had to fly me in so it made a lot of sense.