Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280655 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
You can move anywhere around the country with the union (I think, I've never been part of one)

pretty much.  your benefit plans may change, but they will recognize your status.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 03, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Anyone know of any emaw siding contractors in Topeka? I'm a little bit over this whole overnight job. For many reasons, least of it being the schedule, I'd rather work elsewhere.

have you considered joining the carpenters union?   They need good help.
I have not considered that. I am also not sure that I will in the area in a year. So I'd rather not have someone invest too much time to train me. But I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

tip: don't tell prospective employer you don't plan to be around in a year.
Oh I wouldn't. I'd just rather go into a job I already know how to do well and start contributing right away. Rather than go through growing pains. I dunno. Just doesn't feel right to me.

you would test-in and be eligible for work immediately, then receive training throughout your apprenticeship period.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 03, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
i really don't think i would. i didn't start making actual money until 2003 and i have a bunch of student loans. i'm up for the hobby thing but i think it would have to be one that i could do at work as well and i can't really think of anything. goEMAW is my only work hobby. i'm open for suggestions.

12 years is more than enough time to generate your retirement fund.  how bad was your debt situ?

since you hate animals, why don't you make travel your hobby?  you already enjoy posting about trips you don't take, just transition to taking those trips.

more student debt than you would think. the police academy isn't cheap.

as a whole, i think i just need to come up with a way to make my work interesting. like maybe give myself some goals or something or come up with a hobby i can get into while i'm at work. i'm currently going on my third month of not even knowing who my boss is. like nobody knows. not me, not anyone. so i just kind of show up when i think i need to and do my stuff and then just go home when i can. i've also been doing this job for a while and nothing ever changes. nothing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:27:07 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
Anyone know of any emaw siding contractors in Topeka? I'm a little bit over this whole overnight job. For many reasons, least of it being the schedule, I'd rather work elsewhere.

I have not considered that. I am also not sure that I will in the area in a year. So I'd rather not have someone invest too much time to train me. But I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Oh I wouldn't. I'd just rather go into a job I already know how to do well and start contributing right away. Rather than go through growing pains. I dunno. Just doesn't feel right to me.

my opinion is to make a big decision to do something real and then don't be afraid to quit if it was the wrong decision. you can't spend the rest of your life in "i'm still thinking about what i want to do mode and don't want to really do anything cause i'm not sure where i'll be or if it's the right choice or whatever." well i mean you could but i still think my suggestion is the better one long term.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
as a whole, i think i just need to come up with a way to make my work interesting. like maybe give myself some goals or something or come up with a hobby i can get into while i'm at work. i'm currently going on my third month of not even knowing who my boss is. like nobody knows. not me, not anyone. so i just kind of show up when i think i need to and do my stuff and then just go home when i can. i've also been doing this job for a while and nothing ever changes. nothing.

maybe you could get really into office politics and make that your hobby.  like, for now, concentrate on making everyone think that you're your boss and also the boss of most of them.  do that for a month or two and see how you like it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »
rick you need another thread bro or are you good?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »
rick you need another thread bro or are you good?

i'm good. thanks, friend.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
All but got the offer after my interview today. The salary is a little below what I finished my last Ft job at. New career path, good company. Decision time.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 03, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »

my opinion is to make a big decision to do something real and then don't be afraid to quit if it was the wrong decision. you can't spend the rest of your life in "i'm still thinking about what i want to do mode and don't want to really do anything cause i'm not sure where i'll be or if it's the right choice or whatever." well i mean you could but i still think my suggestion is the better one long term.
I'm joining the Navy once I am off probation for reasons similar to this. I just need a job I enjoy til then.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 03, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »
All but got the offer after my interview today. The salary is a little below what I finished my last Ft job at. New career path, good company. Decision time.
How long has it been since you had a full time job? I would say ask for more money unless you've painted yourself into a corner somehow or are desperate for work.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »
today's money isn't as important as the opportunity to make more tomorrow.  if the new company appears to offer long term advancement opportunity with $$, it would be hard to turn down, assuming the current offer isn't significantly lower than your expectation.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
Three years. I don't need the job that badly. I've been freelancing since the last one. I think I'm just wanting to mix things up a little.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 03, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
today's money isn't as important as the opportunity to make more tomorrow.  if the new company appears to offer long term advancement opportunity with $$, it would be hard to turn down, assuming the current offer isn't significantly lower than your expectation.

That's a good point. There is the promise for promotion not terribly long from now, and they've grown rapidly.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 03, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! (:fatty:)

Their promises don't mean crap.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
that being said, if you really  want to stop freelancing why not

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
but I'm just saying is you may be passing up a big opportunity

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/03/news/economy/jobs-wages-salary-quitting/

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 03, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! (:fatty:)

Their promises don't mean crap.
Yep. I've learned that the hard way.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 03, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 03, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
eff off, for-profit schools :excited:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 03, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
eff off, for-profit schools :excited:
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! Two week notice tomorrow, right in their rough ridin' balls!!!! Have a good weekend, dumbasses!  :lol: :emawkid:

Also, shout out to my boy @Michigancat for helping me with my resume! Go qatz!

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 03, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
Yeehaw wacky!!!

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 03, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »
congrats, bud.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

The Big Train

« Reply #597 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
WACKY!!!!!  :excited:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #599 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
Congrats wacky. Good luck with the two week notice.