« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »
Branding!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »
Question for the faithful gE community:

If you currently have a job that you like going to and like the people at, what type of pay increase does it take for you to change jobs for more opportunity? I'm stuck in a pickle at my current job and am intrigued by another opportunity, both in the engineering field. The job i'm at pays average and it's a semi-slow advancement path, purely because the quantity of people and how the business works. The new opportunity would have quite a bit more potential for growth and career advancement but the culture is way different and I won't know anyone over there. In simple terms, it's like going from the environment of current day Google to the environment of 90's IBM...flex time, casual office, etc.

Thoughts?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
For a move to be worth your while, and you are leaving your current job of your own volition, I think it takes the total package (salary, benefits, etc.) to be at least a 10% bump. This could be offset by signing bonuses or if you're just like really geeked about the new gig.

That said, somebody did some study that lots of people are referencing these days that says once you make over $75k the correlation between pay increase and happiness/quality of life kind of plateaus.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
go work for Apple

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Question for the faithful gE community:

If you currently have a job that you like going to and like the people at, what type of pay increase does it take for you to change jobs for more opportunity? I'm stuck in a pickle at my current job and am intrigued by another opportunity, both in the engineering field. The job i'm at pays average and it's a semi-slow advancement path, purely because the quantity of people and how the business works. The new opportunity would have quite a bit more potential for growth and career advancement but the culture is way different and I won't know anyone over there. In simple terms, it's like going from the environment of current day Google to the environment of 90's IBM...flex time, casual office, etc.

Thoughts?
That kind of seems like a no brainer, but you should at least shoot for a 20% raise.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
Like, what scares you about wearing a t-shirt to work?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

wait, I may have misread

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »
I read this as currently having the laid back atmosphere with flex time and stuff.  Correct?  If so, it would have to be a pretty big raise for me to jump, assuming I was already making decent money. 

How likely is it you could get back to your current job in a year if you don't like the other one?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
we just gonna adopt this thread as the job hunt thread and ignore steve?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
For a move to be worth your while, and you are leaving your current job of your own volition, I think it takes the total package (salary, benefits, etc.) to be at least a 10% bump. This could be offset by signing bonuses or if you're just like really geeked about the new gig.

That said, somebody did some study that lots of people are referencing these days that says once you make over $75k the correlation between pay increase and happiness/quality of life kind of plateaus.

I currently make over $75k, so this is definitely good info. Do you know which study it is by chance? I'd like to read it. I have read that after $75k, responsibility and expected employee ROI increases exponentially.

I read this as currently having the laid back atmosphere with flex time and stuff.  Correct?  If so, it would have to be a pretty big raise for me to jump, assuming I was already making decent money. 

How likely is it you could get back to your current job in a year if you don't like the other one?

Currently I can wear whatever I want to work and it's very laid back. The company i'd move to would be more old school suit/tie type place. Not a huge issue to wear nicer things for me, but sometimes with that kind of culture change, there are other issues that arise and the company "feel" isn't productive anymore. The jump would be about a 30% base salary move but there are some unknowns to the equation on the new employer end.

The million dollar question of whether I can switch back to my current company if the new one doesn't work out is a tricky one. I'd like to think that I could, but at the same time, my current employer could just say F you out of spite alone.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
go work for Apple

If I could do engineering for Apple from Kansas City, sign me up. I think they're a great company, but no way in hell i'm moving to Cali...

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
you seem like an old school suit/tie type guy

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2015, 09:23:34 AM »
just go work for burns and mac, dude.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:01 AM »
you seem like an old school suit/tie type guy

I am an old school suit/tie type guy and that doesn't bother me one bit. It's the culture and environment that suits/ties bring with them that is the question mark.

just go work for burns and mac, dude.

Not B&M. I've heard horror stories from over there...this is a much smaller firm that i'm looking at.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
the first thing you need to do is sit down and decide whether you currently make enough money. basically, is what you make enough for you to be happy. if your answer is yes then i would advise not to leave. if your answer is no, then yeah you might as well go ahead and take this one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »
California is pretty nice

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »
the first thing you need to do is sit down and decide whether you currently make enough money. basically, is what you make enough for you to be happy. if your answer is yes then i would advise not to leave. if your answer is no, then yeah you might as well go ahead and take this one.

Great advice here. Thanks RD!

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
There's no dollar sign on peace of mind.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »

but if he feels like he has to make more money, then he doesn't have peace of mind. it will continue to bug him and he'll eventually jump anyway, so why not just jump now?

for me personally, i decided a while ago that i make enough. could i make more by taking some other job? i mean i guess, but i don't dislike my current job. also, my current house is nice enough and i live in a town and neighborhood i like so why bother?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:32:32 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Oh, not this thread again! :curse:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
I feel like I am in the same place (although I don't currently have another job offer). My current job is very laid back with just a few employees and pretty flexible if I need to take time off. Although the Pres is a micromanager and there aren't really any promotion opportunities....but I'm not actively looking for another job so I guess that means I am satisfied with the current job.

I'd say, besides the money side, you should consider where you want your career to go and whether you can get there by staying in your current job.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
There is obviously some dissatisfaction with shell's current position, or he wouldn't have gotten to a point where he was offered a job.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2015, 10:43:24 AM »
Important posters, what types of jobs do you have?  I only know of cops and lawyers, is that all K-State is good for?
Oh, man. I'd be the worst cop ever. I'd think everyone had a gun and I'd just start popping shots on every random speeding ticket.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »

but if he feels like he has no make more money, then he doesn't have peace of mind. it will continue to bug him and he'll eventually jump anyway, so why not just jump now?

for me personally, i decided a while ago that i make enough. could i make more by taking some other job? i mean i guess, but i don't dislike my current job. also, my current house is nice enough and i live in a town and neighborhood i like so why bother?

Everything in life has a price.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2015, 11:00:43 AM »
Dressing up everyday for work would be terrible.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite