Author Topic: jobs  (Read 279364 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
interesting story dobbsler. did your brother get/take the job and does he like it?
Yes, he took the job and he likes it. He was wanting to do something different, but didn't want to just fall into a different position/company.
He has been there for a few years now. I know there are times that he wants to move away from corporate america, but he is happy.

maybe you could post the $1500 resume and wacky or anybody else could just put their name on top
That is not quite how it works. He actually answered questions and took tests so the resume was a direct reflection of who he is and what he wanted to do career wise.
I've met Wacky and he and my bro would get along great, but they are not quite the same personality wise.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
but this is a proven resume!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
I think $1500 is a way too much money to spend trying to get a job that will be a lateral move. Wacky should just post his resume on this thread and get advice instead.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
I think $1500 is a way too much money to spend trying to get a job that will be a lateral move. Wacky should just post his resume on this thread and get advice instead.
Well, that is another idea.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
Michigancat is looking over it right now and I have a friend that works in career services looking over it too. That's what she does for a living.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Do you have any major accomplishments career-wise? Like were you top salesman at any company you've worked for? Are you having trouble landing interviews, or are you interviewing and then getting turned down?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
I though the board was going to handle this?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

Do you have any major accomplishments career-wise?

Like chili cook off champion :cool:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
Heading to the pool guys. Great talk. I appreciate the help. Also, yeah I've led in sales for a few quarters in sales at places. I was leading at DSI before they fired me because I took a pto day to go broadcast an espn3 game up in Nebraska. Those rough ridin' pricks! :shakesfist:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »
If you are getting interviews, your resume is probably ok. I'd spend more time researching the companies you are applying for if that is the case.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
Wacky, which one of these is your resume?

http://www.dose.com/lists/21795/18-Atrocious-Resumes-That-Probably-Won-t-Lead-to-a-Ton-of-Career-Opportunities-ab660-3?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Ads&utm_campaign=SaBa
lol.  :shakesfist: It's not that bad. @Michigancat looked over it this weekend and gave me some great suggestions. He also didn't totally wipe out everything with red, so that's a positive.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Also, protips on what Michigancat likes and his address would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
Dorothy Lynch salad dressing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
Just pick any random post from this thread.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=12688.0

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
Plz tell me I'm better than life insurance sales. These mofos are zapping the crap out of on LinkedIn. Massive calls ya'll

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
Is it legal or illegal to not hire someone because English appears (sounds?) to not be their first language?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Well, I don't know if you've picked up a phone these days to call up your 401 k provider, credit cards, health insurance, etc. but no one speaks English when you get on the phone with them, so I don't think it's legal to not hire them for that. I'm pretty sure that's not :opcat: either, that's just the fact, jack!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
Plz tell me I'm better than life insurance sales. These mofos are zapping the crap out of on LinkedIn. Massive calls ya'll

It's better than what you are doing now.

Is it legal or illegal to not hire someone because English appears (sounds?) to not be their first language?

If that is the only reason you don't want to hire them, then they are probably the best candidate.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »
One of the insurance companies recruiters told me she couldn't send me an email for their site and the time they wanted me to come in, because she didn't have her email setup yet.  :lol: http://www.oldhamagencykc.com/about-oldham-midwest/

This is the other one: http://kansascity.mo.bankerslife.com/

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

If that is the only reason you don't want to hire them, then they are probably the best candidate.

Well, that doesn't answer if it is legal or illegal.

OK, but what if it is a situation where it's like we are going to hire someone if/when we find someone who is a good fit for the position we need - we might not ever hire someone if we don't find the right person (so therefore even the "best" candidate might not get hired if they are not the right fit for the position/company)...and English as a first language is just one of the criteria for being the right fit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:10:38 AM by Mrs. Gooch »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »

OK, but what if it is a situation where it's like we are going to hire someone if/when we find someone who is a good fit for the position we need - we might not ever hire someone if we don't find the right person (so therefore even the "best" candidate might not get hired if they are not the right fit for the position/company)...and English as a first language is just one of the criteria for being the right fit.

Yes, it's illegal. Your company should probably be ashamed of itself for even considering that.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:15:43 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »

Yes, it's illegal. Your company should probably be ashamed of itself for even considering that.

I said "what if". This is a totally hypothetical situation that doesn't really exist in real life (for the record).

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »
 :clac:

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »

I'm a firm believer in companies being able to hire/fire whoever they want to. The most qualified candidate might not be the best fit for your company. The fact that people get sued for this all the time is ridiculous and all these hiring rules/laws are BS in my opinion. If I own a company, I should be able to hire/fire whoever I want, whenever I want, for whatever reason I want.