Author Topic: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System  (Read 24525 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
If townys aren't going to help support it just make sure every stop either originates or ends on campus. 

The lack of vision and foresight among townies and the commission is astounding.  I think Jon Wefald should run for City Commission.  Sure he'd be incompetent, but at least he'd have some big ideas.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
If townys aren't going to help support it just make sure every stop either originates or ends on campus. 

The lack of vision and foresight among townies and the commission is astounding.  I think Jon Wefald should run for City Commission.  Sure he'd be incompetent, but at least he'd have some big ideas.

Think he could pull the Negro League Museum away from KC?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »

Think he could pull the Negro League Museum away from KC?

Maybe he could use his empty office space in the Leadership Studies Building?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
is this something that's even being seriously considered or is nuts kicked just bored? Yes, Manhattan should have a bus system and it should be funded by both the university and the city. If it ever did happen the university will have to take the first step and then maybe if the city hears enough people whining about not being about to ride the bus b/c they aren't students/faculty they will pony up a little cash to support it. Funny thing is if k-state starts a bus system and doesn't let non university employee townies ride it, it will just make the townies hate the university even more!
I'm purple down

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »
Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fuckfest continues.  All assumptions regarding the benefits of a bus system hinge on the bus operating at or near full capacity.  Of course, this is almost never turns out to be the case.  Even then those benefits are overblown (i.e., 1) reduced congestion is a total rough ridin' myth, people with cars don't ride the bus; 2) routing people to commercial areas, people that ride the bus don't take it shopping).  Fortunately for mass transit tards the cost of the system is so irrelevant, even a failing transit system often goes on subsidized in perpetuity.

There's nowhere to put buses in Manhattan, KS.  All major thoroughfares are either 4 lanes or 2 lanes, split with a suicide lane.  Have fun staring at a bus, while your car idles for two minutes, so the one guy that gets on the bus can hop aboard.   :comeatme:

Unless this thing runs from 10pm to 4am no one will use it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
Unless this thing runs from 10pm to 4am.

Which it should, because that would be monumentally successful AND cut down on drunk driving.  But I have a feeling the townie tucks would bristle at that suggestion and just say "people shouldn't be getting drunk in the first place! We can't support this behavior!" like they always do.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fuckfest continues.  All assumptions regarding the benefits of a bus system hinge on the bus operating at or near full capacity.  Of course, this is almost never turns out to be the case.  Even then those benefits are overblown (i.e., 1) reduced congestion is a total rough ridin' myth, people with cars don't ride the bus; 2) routing people to commercial areas, people that ride the bus don't take it shopping).  Fortunately for mass transit tards the cost of the system is so irrelevant, even a failing transit system often goes on subsidized in perpetuity.

There's nowhere to put buses in Manhattan, KS.  All major thoroughfares are either 4 lanes or 2 lanes, split with a suicide lane.  Have fun staring at a bus, while your car idles for two minutes, so the one guy that gets on the bus can hop aboard.   :comeatme:

LOL at FSD never being outside of Kansas to see a mass transit system.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »

LOL at FSD never being outside of Kansas to see a mass transit system.

nuh, uhh, you never bin oustide kanzas :comeatme:

Quote from: Parody Phog.net Post=topic=14213.msg332938#msg332938 date=1314242671
Manhattan is basically Chicago, IL.  Lots of bars, guys with mustaches, brick buildings, and a big lake.  There's no reason to think a mass transit system similar to that of Chicago wouldn't be a huge success in Manhattan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

The only benefit I care about is it makes KSU a more attractive option to more students, just like ridiculous football lounges and weight rooms make our athletic program more attractive to recruits. It's part of the Facilities Wars of the general student population. I could not care less about the functionality - the perception alone would be worth whatever it cost the city and/or university.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »

The only benefit I care about is it makes KSU a more attractive option to more students, just like ridiculous football lounges and weight rooms make our athletic program more attractive to recruits. It's part of the Facilities Wars of the general student population. I could not care less about the functionality - the perception alone would be worth whatever it cost the city and/or university.

No doubt, michigancat.  I bet there are literally thousands of kids who were ready to apply to k-state and then . . . "OMG, no bus system!?!?"  "Well then [tears up application]"   :facepalm:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »

No doubt, michigancat.  I bet there are literally thousands of kids who were ready to apply to k-state and then . . . "OMG, no bus system!?!?"  "Well then [tears up application]"   :facepalm:

It does make us sound "big time" though. Not sure where I stand on this yet. Keep the debate rolling, EMAWs.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:51 AM »
Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fuckfest continues.  All assumptions regarding the benefits of a bus system hinge on the bus operating at or near full capacity.  Of course, this is almost never turns out to be the case.  Even then those benefits are overblown (i.e., 1) reduced congestion is a total rough ridin' myth, people with cars don't ride the bus; 2) routing people to commercial areas, people that ride the bus don't take it shopping).  Fortunately for mass transit tards the cost of the system is so irrelevant, even a failing transit system often goes on subsidized in perpetuity.

Recruits these days don't need leather couches and HDTV's all over a lounge. They are also fine practicing in Ahearn half the time. Let's cancel the Training facility :facepalm:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »

If you were a student at K-State, would you rather leave your house 30 minutes early, only to sit in the parking lot for another 30 minutes waiting on a parking space to open up, then have to walk 2 blocks to your class, or leave your house 10 minutes early, walk 2 blocks to the bus stop, and get dropped off at the front door?

Students with cars absolutely would use a bus system. Townies probably wouldn't as much, but the bus would be great for the airport.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 08:18:12 AM »
is this something that's even being seriously considered or is nuts kicked just bored? Yes, Manhattan should have a bus system and it should be funded by both the university and the city. If it ever did happen the university will have to take the first step and then maybe if the city hears enough people whining about not being about to ride the bus b/c they aren't students/faculty they will pony up a little cash to support it. Funny thing is if k-state starts a bus system and doesn't let non university employee townies ride it, it will just make the townies hate the university even more!

Manhattan has already voted the system down once, citing a lack of university funding as the reason. The city sucks the university teet 24/7, then balks at funding something that already would have been subsidized with federal dollars, just because the university would have gotten some benefit without paying for it. What's next? Asking K-State to pay for clearing the snow off the streets in neighborhoods where only students live?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »
Probably way different debates as far as whether there should be a bus system vs. if so, who should pay for it.  :dunno:

FWIW, in a way, MOAP2 will have a bus system.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
i didn't read this thread, but i imagine it's fake sugar dick bitching about stuff that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Stillwater has a bus system and it works perfectly fine.  i've never had to wait for a slow moving bus.

Manhattan really should strive to be more like Stillwater and less like Ames.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
Ames has a bus system...

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
Ames has a bus system...

wasn't talking about the bus system, was talking about Ames in general.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fuckfest continues.  All assumptions regarding the benefits of a bus system hinge on the bus operating at or near full capacity.  Of course, this is almost never turns out to be the case.  Even then those benefits are overblown (i.e., 1) reduced congestion is a total rough ridin' myth, people with cars don't ride the bus; 2) routing people to commercial areas, people that ride the bus don't take it shopping).  Fortunately for mass transit tards the cost of the system is so irrelevant, even a failing transit system often goes on subsidized in perpetuity.

Recruits these days don't need leather couches and HDTV's all over a lounge. They are also fine practicing in Ahearn half the time. Let's cancel the Training facility :facepalm:

Comparing luxury amenities like HDTV's and leather couches to public transportation is the most retardiest thing I've seen on the Pit in a while. 

'grats MichiCat

A Hummer Stretch Limo with strippers and dom on it is basically the same thing as 'the Jo'

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
i didn't read this thread, but i imagine it's fake sugar dick bitching about stuff that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Stillwater has a bus system and it works perfectly fine.  i've never had to wait for a slow moving bus.

Manhattan really should strive to be more like Stillwater and less like Ames.

Well if the bus system in Stillwater "works perfectly fine", I stand corrected  :mongoloid:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »
So FSD, what's the main reason for your opposition to this?  Narrow it down to one thing plz, tia.  I'm guessing you're one of these "we totally don't have the money!  The rent is too damn high!" guys, right?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
So FSD, what's the main reason for your opposition to this?  Narrow it down to one thing plz, tia.  I'm guessing you're one of these "we totally don't have the money!  The rent is too damn high!" guys, right?

I don't live in Manhattan.  I don't give a eff if they have a bus system or not.   

The people who ride the bus should pay for it, not the school or the town, or anyone who doesn't ride it.  It's bullshit when govt invents reasons why a bus is good thing for people who don't use it as justification for them having to pay for it. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »

I don't live in Manhattan.  I don't give a eff if they have a bus system or not.   

The people who ride the bus should pay for it, not the school or the town, or anyone who doesn't ride it.  It's bullshit when govt invents reasons why a bus is good thing for people who don't use it as justification for them having to pay for it. 

People who don't ride the bus are the reason there is a need for a bus in the first place, though.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »

there are a million things like that. people that don't have cars have to pay for road improvement, people without kids have to pay for our education system, the list goes on and on and you don't hear them bitch about it. i think you just like to bitch fake sugar dick. oh man, another day another fake sugar dick whiny bitchy post bitching about something. color me surprised.  :zzz:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
This would probably be a good thread to list the cities with a population over 40,000 that have a major university with an enrollment of 25,000 or more that DON'T have a effing bus system or any form of public transportation.

I seriously can't come across one, but I'm sure there is some place in America that has the same backwards townie mentality to progress and is as stuck in the past as Manhattan.

Just not sure where to look, but I'm sure Fake Sugar Dick can probably throw out some good examples.

Virginia Tech - Blacksburgh, Virginia, 50,000 local population, 28,000 students - No, denied.  Bus system.

Utah State - Logan, Utah, 45,000 local population, 25,000 students - No, denied.  Bus system.

West Virginia - Morgantown, West Virginia, 35,000 local population, 29,000 students - No, denied.  PRT and bus system.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:09:04 PM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008