Author Topic: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System  (Read 24530 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »
i didn't have a car the entire time i was a student. not that hard. also don't think it has anything to do w/ townies wanted all the students close to ksu. townie nut jobs all got together and voted a bunch of whacko nutjobs onto county commission and now we get to just see stupid things like this. also, if the townie can complain about students and the university and try to get them to do even more for the town than they already do then they will. townie nature 101. they just can't help themselves.

Question, rd.

Do Manhattan townies wish Manhattan had more or less than 30K in population?  My feeling was that true townies wanted to make Manhattan a really, really small Mayberry like town.  I could be wrong though.  I only lived there for four years.

I don't think so.  I think every townie tuck just wants the best of both worlds.  Population and events that occur because of the university, but none of those bratty drunk college kids running around when I'm trying to take my grandson to buy some erasers at The Palace.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:44:33 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Being a grownup in Manhattan that takes the paper, and reads it, is a depressing and infuriating step on the path toward cynicism.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Being a grownup in Manhattan that takes the paper, and reads it, is a depressing and infuriating step on the path toward cynicism.

Elabo's, plz.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »

Buses are for poor people.  Make them pay for it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »

Poor people pay the fairs. Rich people get improved property value. They should pay the taxes.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »

Poor people pay the fairs. Rich people get improved property value. They should pay the taxes.

Pardon me if this has been covered, but how exactly do buses increase property value?  IMO, having a bus stop near your property reduces your property value.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »
Sugar dick, student housing away from campus is less valuable due to proximity to campus.

Hth

/w/
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

Pardon me if this has been covered, but how exactly do buses increase property value?  IMO, having a bus stop near your property reduces your property value.

Bus stops would have a minimal impact on property values, most likely because in the vast majority of residential areas where people would deem a stop detrimental to values wouldn't have a stop. In other residential areas (places not filled with tucks) they'd be seen as an attribute, making areas in proximity to stops increase in value. Also this isn't really going to impact commercial property in a big way, but it would make property more valuable in that it increases the number of people who can reach the stores and reduces maintenance on parking lots.

The second one isn't a big deal, but a solid public transport system could eventually lead to lower-cost housing by reducing the need for gigantic ass parking lots around apartment complexes.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »

Bus stops would have a minimal impact on property values, most likely because in the vast majority of residential areas where people would deem a stop detrimental to values wouldn't have a stop. In other residential areas (places not filled with tucks) they'd be seen as an attribute, making areas in proximity to stops increase in value. Also this isn't really going to impact commercial property in a big way, but it would make property more valuable in that it increases the number of people who can reach the stores and reduces maintenance on parking lots.

The second one isn't a big deal, but a solid public transport system could eventually lead to lower-cost housing by reducing the need for gigantic ass parking lots around apartment complexes.

Meh, everybody in Kansas has a car.  Especially kid coming from small-town KS or JOCO.  A Bus-system won't change that.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »

Meh, everybody in Kansas has a car.  Especially kid coming from small-town KS or JOCO.  A Bus-system won't change that.

If you want to attract students from outside of Kansas, where not everyone will have a car, a bus system makes the university more attractive. Especially when you consider every peer college town offers a bus system.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

Renters who own property near a bus stop will be able to draw a slightly higher rent from tenants who would no longer have to hunt for a parking spot on campus. Businesses near a bus stop will do more business, especially convenience stores. The people who get the benefits of a mass transit system are the taxpayers. The people who ride the bus pay a fair, so they support the system, too.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

Renters who own property near a bus stop will be able to draw a slightly higher rent from tenants who would no longer have to hunt for a parking spot on campus. Businesses near a bus stop will do more business, especially convenience stores. The people who get the benefits of a mass transit system are the taxpayers. The people who ride the bus pay a fair, so they support the system, too.

I hate to be skinny benny on this but damn I can only take so much.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

This thread has turned into a full on Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fuckfest.   :facepalm:

A bus system benefits the people who ride the bus.  Any contrived benefit to commercial real estate is at best de minimus or completely offset by the adverse effects of a bus system.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:15 PM »
Yeah, the adverse effects of a bus system. Reducing congestion, road maintenance, and the need to build new infrastructure. Combined with making areas more desirable, increasing economic output (locally). Mass transit is truly a boil on society's ass.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
i love the idea of mass transity type stuff. don't know how much i'd use it in mhk but would love to have it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
i didn't have a car the entire time i was a student. not that hard. also don't think it has anything to do w/ townies wanted all the students close to ksu. townie nut jobs all got together and voted a bunch of whacko nutjobs onto county commission and now we get to just see stupid things like this. also, if the townie can complain about students and the university and try to get them to do even more for the town than they already do then they will. townie nature 101. they just can't help themselves.

Question, rd.

Do Manhattan townies wish Manhattan had more or less than 30K in population?  My feeling was that true townies wanted to make Manhattan a really, really small Mayberry like town.  I could be wrong though.  I only lived there for four years.

they want the stuff that comes with having more people, they just don't really want the people and as a whole don't tend to trust outsiders. kind of a keep to your self bunch and probably somewhat that way because of all of the transient come and go military and student populations. town turnover is pretty high compared to other comparably sized towns across the us and there is this odd sense of entitlement and superiority that lifers have.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:07:32 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »

This thread has turned into a full on respect fuckfest.   :facepalm:

A bus system benefits the people who ride the bus.  Any contrived benefit to commercial real estate is at best de minimus or completely offset by the adverse effects of a bus system.

The only downside of a bus system is the cost.  Any other downside needs a citation.  Feel free to independently research the mostly factual and we'll reasoned assertions in favor of mass transit.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
I hate to be skinny benny on this but damn I can only take so much.

:excited:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »
It is so adorable when kat kid says "takes the paper".

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 07:00:18 AM »
It is so adorable when kat kid says "takes the paper".

:thumbs: I also enjoyed this term.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »
Takeover_Tuggle Justin Tuggle
More parking passes than parking spots on campus

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
Most students do have cars, and the ones that dont live close to campus out of need.  If the bus system will really improve rents that can be collected and business that is generated why dont those guys pay for it and charge a fair.... because you cant make money off of it.  Tax dollars would have to be pumped into it unless the KSU threw down some money.  There is already a transport from the stadium and there a plenty of other current programs that are hurting for money worse than someone that cant ride a bike or find a place semi-close to campus.  The city has other problems to worry about such as schools, roads, etc. rather than building a bus system.

Overall it would be "cool" to have a bus system and might bring us up closer to what some other schools have but lets be honest, chances are pretty slim.  A 18 year old kid isnt going to choose a school based on buses or no buses, most live in dorms anyway.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Most students do have cars

duh, because there isn't a bus system.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Most students do have cars, and the ones that dont live close to campus out of need.  If the bus system will really improve rents that can be collected and business that is generated why dont those guys pay for it and charge a fair.... because you cant make money off of it.  Tax dollars would have to be pumped into it unless the KSU threw down some money.  There is already a transport from the stadium and there a plenty of other current programs that are hurting for money worse than someone that cant ride a bike or find a place semi-close to campus.  The city has other problems to worry about such as schools, roads, etc. rather than building a bus system.

Overall it would be "cool" to have a bus system and might bring us up closer to what some other schools have but lets be honest, chances are pretty slim.  A 18 year old kid isnt going to choose a school based on buses or no buses, most live in dorms anyway.   

translation- yes we are behind similar towns with schools of our size in regards to mass transit, but it seems like it might be kind of hard to implement something like this so lets just do nothing instead.

what a rough ridin' loser attitude. dear god.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
If townys aren't going to help support it just make sure every stop either originates or ends on campus.