Author Topic: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System  (Read 24513 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State Should Not Fund a Bus System
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
driving to ksu and parking is incredibly easy.  easier than taking a bus in almost all cases.  and nearly everyone in manhattan has a car. 

Why are you under the impression that people with cars don't ride the bus?

If I were in Manhattan I wouldn't take the bus to the grocery store, but depending on how the bus system is, I'd take it to campus, or work, or to the park.  Having a car and riding the bus isn't mutually exclusive, neither are elite clubs.  I'd be willing to bet that in cities with good mass transit systems up to 20% of riders have a car.  When I lived in Boston I had two cars and used busses and trains.  I was in Boston two weeks ago, rented a car and still took the bus to the bar.  Also I don't think there are as many people in Manhattan with cars as you think.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
driving to ksu and parking is incredibly easy.  easier than taking a bus in almost all cases.  and nearly everyone in manhattan has a car. 

Why are you under the impression that people with cars don't ride the bus?

If I were in Manhattan I wouldn't take the bus to the grocery store, but depending on how the bus system is, I'd take it to campus, or work, or to the park.  Having a car and riding the bus isn't mutually exclusive, neither are elite clubs.  I'd be willing to bet that in cities with good mass transit systems up to 20% of riders have a car.  When I lived in Boston I had two cars and used busses and trains.  I was in Boston two weeks ago, rented a car and still took the bus to the bar.  Also I don't think there are as many people in Manhattan with cars as you think.

I thought it was common public transportation knowledge that people do what's easiest.  In places like Boston, public transportation is often easier.  In places like Manhattan, it almost never is.  Why spend ten minutes walking to the bus stop, ten minutes waiting on a bus, and then ten minutes riding the bus when you can be there in five minutes by driving yourself?  I've lived in two cities with both good bus systems and easy driving/parking.  I've never known anyone with a car that would ever consider taking the bus (outside of extreme examples like being scared to drive on icy roads).  It's just easier to drive.  And we even have to pay for parking!  I also lived in Manhattan my entire life through college and, in my experience, it was pretty rare to meet someone who didn't have a car.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »

I thought it was common public transportation knowledge that people do what's easiest.  In places like Boston, public transportation is often easier.  In places like Manhattan, it almost never is.  Why spend ten minutes walking to the bus stop, ten minutes waiting on a bus, and then ten minutes riding the bus when you can be there in five minutes by driving yourself?  I've lived in two cities with both good bus systems and easy driving/parking.  I've never known anyone with a car that would ever consider taking the bus (outside of extreme examples like being scared to drive on icy roads).  It's just easier to drive.  And we even have to pay for parking!  I also lived in Manhattan my entire life through college and, in my experience, it was pretty rare to meet someone who didn't have a car.

Didn't hang out at Jardine or south Manhattan I take it.

I'd like to see a study, I feel like a bus system in Manhattan would be pretty damn convienent because of the large number of Manhattanites who live very close to major thoroughfares.  Ft. Riley/Poyntz, Bluemont/Anderson, Kimball, Seth Childs, and Tuttle Creek with some sort of interior shuttle would cover a great deal of space and wouldn't be hard for anyone to get to.  :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:32 AM »
chum1 is right.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:14 AM »
A drunk bus would be full every weekend night.   :kstategrad:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »

yeah.  and the morning route(s) to campus would prolly be reasonably used.  everything else?

imeio, 20 minutes is about the cutoff point on route frequency.  less than that and people don't use because they either have to memorize schedules or wait for rough ridin' ever.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »

yeah.  and the morning route(s) to campus would prolly be reasonably used.  everything else?

imeio, 20 minutes is about the cutoff point on route frequency.  less than that and people don't use because they either have to memorize schedules or wait for rough ridin' ever.

Its Manhattan, 6 streets and like 10 lights.  How in the hell could it take more than 20 minutes?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »

Its Manhattan, 6 streets and like 10 lights.  How in the hell could it take more than 20 minutes?

He is talking about frequency

Also, FWIW, I think chum1 and sys are right. I still think the city and KSU should jointly fund a bus system.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »

Also, FWIW, I think chum1 and sys are right. I still think the city and KSU should jointly fund a bus system.

i'm with michigancat i think. personally don't give a crap whether it makes sense or will lose money or nobody will use it or whatever. just want a bus system.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »

i'm with michigancat i think. personally don't give a crap whether it makes sense or will lose money or nobody will use it or whatever. just want a bus system.

I know he was talking about frequency, 2 busses per route oppo directions.

I think the city & the campus should jointly fund it.  The bus system would be much more beneficial to students than townies.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »
Soooo, is the bus thing going to happen?

this thing is pretty intense http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1988

This is the proposed routes for a 3 bus route....

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »
WOULD RIDE!  WOULD NOT REALLY BUT KIND OF BE ELITE!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »
WOULD RIDE!  WOULD NOT REALLY BUT KIND OF BE ELITE!

yes!

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
So with the townie election results tonight should we count on a bus system in about a year?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »
So with the townie election results tonight should we count on a bus system in about a year?

Did ACORN register the poors are finish their mail in ballots for them?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
that map looks terrible.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
that map looks terrible.

no north arrow, no scale? :sdeek:

shawn h. would club someone over this thing

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »

Did you just do that thing where you out yourself for not knowing the difference between are and or?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »

Sounds like someone is experiencing posterior discomfort