Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting  (Read 24699 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent Fasting
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
A lot of the benefit is that you aren’t in a state of continually digesting food.  Your body can do other cellular repair etc because it’s not devoting it’s energy to processing the Big Mac you slogged back an hour ago.
Is this bro or real science?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
IF is completely bro science. like anything else, it's just a means to CICO

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
I’ve done it
It works
It’s not hard

I would eat all my calories for the day 1800-2100 in one meal, the meal always followed that days workout.

I would eat Monday 8am, Tuesday at 2pm, Wednesday at 8pm, Thursday no food. And repeat the cycle.

The one meal should have the optimum % of protein, carb, and fat.

I would lose 3/4 lb. per cycle while maintaining muscle mass.

:horrorsurprise:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
A lot of the benefit is that you aren’t in a state of continually digesting food.  Your body can do other cellular repair etc because it’s not devoting it’s energy to processing the Big Mac you slogged back an hour ago.

So, I shouldn't be worried about getting a tumor because my body is too distracted by digesting food? My cellies can do more than one thing at a time? What a relief...

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Yes totally bro science, not backed by any scientific studies.  I just made it all up actually.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »
by all means, show me the studies.  everything i've ever read says that when you eat doesn't matter.  only what you eat and how much.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
Not to derail this discussion, but: "Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism" <-- true or untrue? I've always suspected "bullshit".

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2018, 09:46:48 PM »
Basically bullshit.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
Yes totally bro science, not backed by any scientific studies.  I just made it all up actually.
In an interview for The Scientist magazine, Varady says that intermittent diets work not because of some speculative evolutionary adaptation or complicated genetic/molecular mechanism, but “it’s just tricking your mind and body into eating less, and because you’re losing weight, you’re getting all the metabolic benefits.” In other words, better compliance through mind tricks, although her JAMA study actually said that it “did not produce superior adherence”.
https://thedoctorweighsin.com/what-science-has-to-say-about-intermittent-fasting/
It's just CICO, man.  It's all just CICO.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »
testosterone and growth hormone boost, true or untrue?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
I may have overstated with regard to wetwillie, and for that I apologize.  I know next to nothing about how hormones work. I was talking strictly about weightloss. 

I don't have an answer for you stunted.  I poked around and a lot of muscle head bloggers swear by it, so possibly!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2018, 12:20:06 AM »
wolves are always intermittently fasting.  most of the dominant predators do it.  whereas herbivores run around stuffing their fat faces all day long.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2018, 01:05:38 AM »

You seem to do this quite often with many topics.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
Sort of off topic, but I saw something recently about fasting (not intermittent, like 2+ days) helping people respond significantly better to chemo. They think it’s because when your body goes into starvation mode, the normal cells have some built in reflex to protect themselves while cancer cells don’t.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
All that I have had to eat in the last 48 hours is sargentos cheese sticks, Buffalo wild wings and ice cream and water. I hate open house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »
i'm fully aware its just CICO, i just think IF is an easier way to manage CICO.

Versus the impact trying to limit my intake on every meal, every day of the week, i just pick 2 days where i essentially fast.  I still get about 400 calories jut for comfort but after having done it a while i could honestly probably just do a fast.  I also eat a big breakfast the next day, so i even over eat the days following my lean days.   But the whole principle is the math works out: 1+0.25+1.25+0.25+1.25+1+1 = 6  So in a 7 day period i have the calorie intake of 6 days of normal eating.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »

I'm not sure if it is completely bro science, but yes, it always comes down to CICO. It amazes me that bazillions are made just by adding buzzwords, to "don't eat so much fatass". I guess people just need things like this to motivate them. They can say, "I'm on Adkins, Paleo, IF, etc.." and that makes them feel better I guess.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
Does CICO essentially espouse all calories are equal or am I wrong in that thought?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
I am glad that Dlew presents a healthy skepticism on most topics, it’s really one of his greatest strengths as a poster IMO. I would definitely welcome his or anyone’s thoughts on the subject. I think the fact that the 2016 Nobel Prize in Medicine  being awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his work on autophagy elevates the benefits of IF and fasting in general out of the ‘Bro Science’ realm. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
That's the most elegant shade I've ever seen thrown on this blog.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
nicki minaj could learn a thing or two from wetwillie

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 09, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
Does CICO essentially espouse all calories are equal or am I wrong in that thought?

They are all equal.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »

They are all equal.

definitely agree that CICO is the most important factor, by far.

but i imagine eating 2000 calories of sugar every day vs eating 2000 calories of meat/broccoli every day is going to lead to very different results in terms of body composition and overall health, which would indicate to me that all calories are in fact not equal.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
Yes agree with this. This overlaps with a post from the swolecats thread, but a KSU professor showed he could lose weight on a diet with the vast majority of calories coming from twinkies. As far as CICO is concerned, they are all the same.

The rub is that if all calories come from something like alcohol or sugar (“empty calories”), your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to survive and it knows it.  So at best you’re going to feel more hungry than if you consume nutrient dense calories, but really you’d end up having some serious health issues over the long term if you don’t diversify your diet.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »
37 hours in. planned to do 36 but kind of just riding the wave with water and coffee today. i never thought i could ever go a full day without eating but my experience is about the same as everyone i've ever heard describe it... it's not that bad. yesterday evening was a little difficult at times but constant water and tea definitely makes it easier. i'm intrigued by the reported benefits of fasting so wondering if this could be a routine habit.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2022, 03:41:04 PM »
37 hours in. planned to do 36 but kind of just riding the wave with water and coffee today. i never thought i could ever go a full day without eating but my experience is about the same as everyone i've ever heard describe it... it's not that bad. yesterday evening was a little difficult at times but constant water and tea definitely makes it easier. i'm intrigued by the reported benefits of fasting so wondering if this could be a routine habit.

It’s the best way to shed fat. Don’t have to go crazy. Often it’s as easy as giving yourself a 4-8 hours window in which you’re allowed to eat. You’ll probably grub the crap out of food when you eat, but it’s fine. You fill up fast on an empty stomach.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.