Author Topic: Puff Pufff PASS the bill!  (Read 2415 times)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Puff Pufff PASS the bill!
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
Ron Paul and that Barney dude trying to legalize it, at least at a federal level.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/marijuana-bill-barney-frank-ron-paul_n_882707.html

Surely wont pass though since most politicians are glued to the teets of big PHARMA, but it's worth discussing I guess.

It's about a billion times safer than alcohol, so I don't see why not  :ck:

That is, unless, you're a Tea Partier that supposedly believes in smaller government, another form of redneck that drinks Jack on the rocks on a nightly basis, religious, or if you're a real drug dealer that pumps billions of dollars worth of meds to the public and you stand to lose billions of dollars (big pharma)

So yeah. woot.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Puff Pufff PASS the bill!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
i'm tired of govt getting in peoples lives!!

'cept when it comes to marijuana, abortion, two dudes gettin' hitched (gross m I rite?) 'n stuff like that...then govt is good.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »
I would venture to guess that law enforcement and prison unions would be much harder to overcome than big pharma, which I would imagine would begin lobbying for Vicodin, Xanax etc. to be legal. Legalizing most drugs would actually be a good step in lowering the prices of prescription drugs with recreational uses.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:45 PM »
I would venture to guess that law enforcement and prison unions would be much harder to overcome than big pharma, which I would imagine would begin lobbying for Vicodin, Xanax etc. to be legal. Legalizing most drugs would actually be a good step in lowering the prices of prescription drugs with recreational uses.

I agree on all points. So many people make a living off of policing pot and other drugs. It's basically it's own industry, and the tax payers are dumping billions into it every year. Will be hard to change.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:06 AM »
My favorite part is that when the WSJ first confirmed this both Frank and Paul issued statements saying, "this is not a legalization bill".  I have seen about 19 different articles ran that say, "Bill to legalize marijuana......"

It is dumb that it is illegal and everyone knows it, just part of the machine.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
I'm sure republicans won't be alone in the hypocrisy exposure department.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
My favorite part is that when the WSJ first confirmed this both Frank and Paul issued statements saying, "this is not a legalization bill".  I have seen about 19 different articles ran that say, "Bill to legalize marijuana......"

That's because journalists nowadays are rough ridin' stupid and lazy. To them, "legalizing" and "not legalizing" probably means the same thing.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Letting the states decide could ultimately legalize it but only by script initially.  If that happens, pharma wins too.

The downside, politically, would be the loss of enforcement jobs.

That said there is a decent sized group of enforcement that is advocating for this.  Says it will save lives and lower crime. 

I heard an interview last year with some sgt that belongs to LEAP that said there is on avg 100 lives lost a day in the country due to the illegal trade industry.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »
Letting the states decide could ultimately legalize it but only by script initially.  If that happens, pharma wins too.

That said there is a decent sized group of enforcement that is advocating for this.  Says it will save lives and lower crime. 

I heard an interview last year with some sgt that belongs to LEAP that said there is on avg 100 lives lost a day in the country due to the illegal trade industry.

I'm not convinced this will cause any loss of enforcement jobs. They can just move their focus to the coke, heroin, crack, etc. enforcement.  It will definitely add jobs in the tax enforcement area. You know they will tax the crap out of it to pay for "rehab and education" programs.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »

I'm not convinced this will cause any loss of enforcement jobs. They can just move their focus to the coke, heroin, crack, etc. enforcement.  It will definitely add jobs in the tax enforcement area. You know they will tax the crap out of it to pay for "rehab and education" programs.

Probably right.

LEAP wants everything legalized.  That is the point of view that most of their stats come from.

Regardless of the drug you want to discuss, the "war" is failing miserably. 

I recognize a diff between pot and meth or heroin, but ultimately it should be your choice when it comes to your body.  I mean, there are plenty of things you can ingest to really eff you up that aren't illegal.  Why draw that line?  Seems controlling and Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Legalize things, then regulate and tax and let citizens figure out their own lives.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »
yeah, tons of stoners going to rehab for their marijuana addictions. No way the current system could contain them.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
yeah, tons of stoners going to rehab for their marijuana addictions. No way the current system could contain them.

I knew a girl who went to rehab for weed and anorexia.  :lol:

To this day I can't figure out how those 2 go together.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Bad news boys, Nancy hasn't declared the war on drugs over yet.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »

I could see weed and bulimia, but def not weed and anorexia.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

I could see weed and bulimia, but def not weed and anorexia.

Yes, with the amount of willpower that must take, that girl should be running the rehab center.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
I'm wondering if big tobacco and their army of attorneys would have something to say about marijuana entering their marketshare. So add them to big pharma.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »
Corporations, businessmen and entrepreneurs, OH MY!

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »

you mean the people pulling the strings? Then. ya. Oh my.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »

you mean the people pulling the strings? Then. ya. Oh my.