Author Topic: This video should scare the batcrap out of you  (Read 21210 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: This video should scare the batcrap out of you
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Buffalo Commons

never gonna happen

It may happen by default when the Ogallala is sucked dry.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
What if we just took an eraser to the electoral college thing?
 :dunno:

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.

Right now, the rural parts of New York and California might as well not even have a vote if they disagree with the majority in the cities of Los Angeles and New York. If you really think these cities would have enough pull to decide elections nationally without the electoral college, it's pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to argue that the rural areas of those states have any say at all with it.

I would rather the rural areas of TWO states have no say than the Rural areas of an entire country.

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.

Why should rural votes count for more than city votes? Seems to me all votes should be equal.

A national campaign stop never be held outside of CA, FL, NY, OH, TX, IL, or a handful of other mostly eastern states.  The great plains and mountain west would become completely irrelevant on the national stage.

So the candidates will just completely ignore Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc? That doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me. Also, the 2 party system still exists, and I'm sure Iowa will try to stay relevant in the primary elections.

For the most part, yes.  Phil/Pitt would be in one of those mostly eastern states I alluded to. As would Detroit.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
What if we just took an eraser to the electoral college thing?
 :dunno:

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.

Right now, the rural parts of New York and California might as well not even have a vote if they disagree with the majority in the cities of Los Angeles and New York. If you really think these cities would have enough pull to decide elections nationally without the electoral college, it's pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to argue that the rural areas of those states have any say at all with it.

I would rather the rural areas of TWO states have no say than the Rural areas of an entire country.

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.

Look, there have only been 4 presidents elected while losing the popular vote (only 1 since the 1800's), and each time it was by a very small margin. The cities play a major role, but it's not like 100% of the "big city vote" is going to go to 1 candidate.

Why don't you want everyone's vote to count?
Your argument goes hand in hand with mine. So much so, that it's odd we are disagreeing. We are worried about the same thing and can use the 4 presidential elections not carrying a majority to support both our arguments. I've got one of my textbooks somewhere (probably back home) that goes into pretty good arguments as to why we should retain this system and the advantages it has.

Now, if we had a multiple party system, where even us Country Bumpkins could field a candidate to get behind, then I'd be much more willing to get behind destroying the electoral college.  As it stands, our two giant parties would simply put forth the best "City vote" candidate and the rest of us who have concerns outside of suburbia would have someone to push for our interests.

Plus, if you want to get technical, you should realize we are a Union of States, and that each State has it's own Government subject to one Federal Government (I'm not trying to be patronizing, honestly).  If you were to take the Electoral College away, it's tantamount to taking away statehood in a fashion. Why even have each state elect Senators? Why not just have a massive election for those as well? Then we could all have some sweet Tammany Hall representation!
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »
We should have two rounds in presidential elections and you should be able to rank your top 2-3 choices.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
We should have two rounds in presidential elections and you should be able to rank your top 2-3 choices.

That's a great idea. We should also eliminate political parties completely.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »

So how about Vice Pres?  Winner of two rounds of competition picks VP after winning?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »

Would agree.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »

Would agree.

Do want

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »

So how about Vice Pres?  Winner of two rounds of competition picks VP after winning?

Not quite, but its basically the way we started.  Washington had no running mate.  John Adams got the 2nd highest number of votes. This system was in place through the election of 1800, when an electoral tie had to be broken by the house (Jefferson thankfully beat Aaron Burr--kinda interesting story to that one).

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
Curious that this comes out now in light of the original video.  Clearly the new push by the media and the satanist left.  Essentially an argument that the Founders were statists.  Such bullshit some of you have been programmed with.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2079445,00.html

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
Curious that this comes out now in light of the original video.  Clearly the new push by the media and the satanist left.  Essentially an argument that the Founders were statists.  Such bullshit some of you have been programmed with.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2079445,00.html

shhhh. The Bachelor is on, then Real House wives of NYC!!!! Then the Kardashians!!!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Why does it matter what the framers would say or do about anything that is going on today, really? None of that matters. It's a constitution, not a religion.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
http://www.urbanophile.com/2011/07/11/are-states-an-anachronism/

It would seem impossible for Midwestern states to get any sillier and more irrelevant, but they’re trying.

Obviously, Longsworth is underestimating the value of having citizens that really want to be here.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Why does it matter what the framers would say or do about anything that is going on today, really? None of that matters. It's a constitution, not a religion.

nice logic dipshit
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »

nice logic dipshit

I'm pretty sure the founding fathers would agree with me.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:58 AM »

nice logic dipshit
IMO, applying logic to the contemporary relevancy of the Constitution is a pretty dicey subject.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]